PDA

View Full Version : PC vs Mac...which shall I use?

crooked_J
Apr 29th, 2008, 09:37
I'm getting a new laptop asap, the only problem is I'm not set on what to buy. Anyone have any input as to PC vs Mac. :boxing:

And if PC, which one...I've heard Dell is the best bet.

If I go Mac, do I get the Macbook and not the pro, I don't want to spend anymore that I have.

And with specs, what processor/memory...etc.

Any info helps! I've asked around for a little bit but I haven't had any definite answers yet.

I will be using either Rane Serato or Traktor....again any input with these would be greatly appreciated! I'm doing this shit for real and want it to count. I know a little about each of these programs, but you probably know more!

:super:

Enlighten me!!

:thankyou: A thank ya. :thankyou:

willwatson
Apr 29th, 2008, 10:49
MAC.

I'm a pc user and I use Mac at uni for production. I'm actually depressed that I can't afford to buy a mac lol. I am currently advertising my laptop so I can get a Mac.

I used Traktor (FS2) with this pc and was forever running into problems with the pc and the ScrathAmp talking to each other.

Mac comes with firewire built in so no need to get an extra firewire pci card (another 35 for a decent one).

I sold FS2 to my friend last year and he uses it every weekend with his mac. Its runs like a hot knife through butter. no problems what so ever.

You will not regret getting mac.

If you have the extra money i would get the macbook pro. but if you dont the macbook will work just fine.

However...

If you are playing out alot. I wouldnt bother using serato or traktor.

The reason i sold FS2 was because of whenever i wanted to use it i had to turn up to a club befre opening in order to set it up. ive never been to a venue where it has been installed and ive been playing out regularly for 3 years.

If you are that serious about your career then i would get CDJ's
and not bother with the laptop and serato/traktor hardware

Please trust me on this. I have made these mistakes already. I bought CDJ's then sold them to buy FS2. Then I sold FS2 on to get CDJ's again.

Now i'm actually getting somewhere propper. Like my show on AH for example... I use CDJ's for that. :)

Dan
Apr 29th, 2008, 11:04
i have a macbook pro & I love it. Havent really used it for producing or mixing but just for movies, music, AH stuff, email. Its my main AH.FM machine :P

I know if your a student you get 10% off original price. I used my brothers University account to buy my :)

good luck with the new laptop in whatever you choose, remember to CHOON IN :)

lethalleigh
May 13th, 2008, 18:17
i also have a macbook pro, and a windows desktop pc, they were bought in the reverse mentioned order, so sometimes i do wish they were visa versa, have a mac as desktop and a top notch laptop but not spend a fortune on it! anyway that cant be helped now, i mainly bought the mac coz i wanted one and to learn that side of things, its my little baby! i use traktor 3 routed to cdj's by the way, but not entirely!

Laptop wise mate, if you go mac, you cant go wrong, it does depend on your budget though offcourse! Having said that, 2gb of ram is standard now across the whole macbook range, i opted for 7200 rpm hard drive as opposed to 5200 rpm, which is not an option on the macbook model, i thought the extra speed would be worth it for audio needs! If you get the macbook model, in my opinion i would opt and get 4gb ram, it may seem a lot but some programs, depending on what you use, and if they are ex windows applications, can suck a fair bit of ram, just something to be mindful of! As for screen size, its really up to you, your budget and perhaps what your used to?

As for what you said about Dell, they are very reputable, they source great components (example is my Dell Widescreen Monitor, has Samsung panel), some consider them quite cheap, they may be but they are very competitive, and make a good end product, only thing i would look into though if buying is find what components are in your laptop, hard drive make etc (specs can be different), these things can matter! you will find a lot of this stuff on forums, reviews etc!

Apart from anything else, do your research! It will pay off in the long run!

Hope this helps :grinning:♠

Nolndi
Sep 1st, 2008, 09:34
Been wondering about this as well. But I'd also like to ask what about logic or other mac only programs makes it so much better then things like Ableton live 7 or similar programs for PCs? any help would be awesome since I'm also trying to get started in EDM :).

Dan
Sep 1st, 2008, 11:11
September 8th new macbook pros are coming out, Quad Core with SSD drives and bluray.

Wait another 2 weeks, lots of new apple products are due.

dfx
Sep 1st, 2008, 11:14
pc. half the price for same features and power, plus you got the freedom of using the OS of your choice.

Dan
Sep 1st, 2008, 14:09
pc. half the price for same features and power, plus you got the freedom of using the OS of your choice.

On the laptop side of things, I would disagree on the fact of "half the price" with same specs head to head apple might be 100-200 euro different (more).

Also looks, weight and shape goes, apple laptops beat anything on the market now.

here are some key factors to consider:
- backlight lid keyboard
- 1" thick (light)
- multi-touch pad
- 5+ hours of battery life with wifi on.
- matte screens ( very rare to find a laptop with matte screen )

There is more factors, but most of all if you dont like mac osx you can load XP, linux etc on the macbook pro, even have them both running at the same time and alt-tab between them using MAC Bootcamp.

just my 2 cents

lethalleigh
Oct 8th, 2008, 18:21
September 8th new macbook pros are coming out, Quad Core with SSD drives and bluray.

how accurate is this, i found nothing in Apple shop??? where do i look?

Dan
Oct 8th, 2008, 18:37

its been postponed end of this month i think.

it will be all aluminum ...

t4e
Oct 8th, 2008, 18:39

Apple - Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/)

90degrees
Oct 8th, 2008, 19:09
YouTube - Gates vs. Jobs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_uddKK3nmY)

lethalleigh
Oct 8th, 2008, 19:20
its been postponed end of this month i think.

it will be all aluminum ...

on that note im going to bed, as i realised you said macbook pro's first, then you said quad core which threw me off, but makes sense! sleep time :grinning:

ill keep an eye out, tasty!

Apple - Mac Pro (http://www.apple.com/macpro/)

thanks for link! :bow:

PhilMetcalfe
Oct 9th, 2008, 17:45
Mac all the way bud. I have had my Mac for almost 18 months now and still running as fast as the day I bought it running some seriously system intense programs. Unlike my Windows laptop that got slower by the day. And OS X is the simplest operating system to get used to.
If you do opt for one, don't get the memory upgrade from Apple though. Really overpriced. Search the internet for cheaper. I bought mine from crucial memory (http://www.crucial.com), and I'm sure there'll be something similar in the States. :)

Dan
Oct 9th, 2008, 18:16
on that note im going to bed, as i realised you said macbook pro's first, then you said quad core which threw me off, but makes sense! sleep time :grinning:

ill keep an eye out, tasty!

thanks for link! :bow:

yeah sorry its mac book pro laptop that will have quad core cpu :)

dfx
Oct 9th, 2008, 18:34
Unlike my Windows laptop that got slower by the day.
well, the beauty of a PC is that you can actually choose your OS. we all know that windoze sux.

If you do opt for one, don't get the memory upgrade from Apple though. Really overpriced.

like everything from them :)

PhilMetcalfe
Oct 10th, 2008, 08:31
well, the beauty of a PC is that you can actually choose your OS. we all know that windoze sux.

like everything from them :)

Each to their own..... :P:P

lethalleigh
Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:22
yeah sorry its mac book pro laptop that will have quad core cpu :)

did i mention i wanna trade in my macbook pro....:bravo: (thanks im here all week)

paulpearson
Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:16
Id say mac too mate. i have used a p.c for years but have a mac now i produce with. my p.c is on its last legs so im going to replace it with a mac far superior imo

doeLauw
Feb 16th, 2009, 10:29
I've always been on pc with linux and had a windows laptop aside. Recently I've switched to mac as my workstation. Loving it and it's my production machine.

timmyt
May 30th, 2009, 00:43
Dudes, I bought an iMac a year ago and i think it rocks! It operates so much better than PC. Although, PC specs are better for the same price, iMacs work just as well as the top spec PCs... How this is done...i don't know.... iMacs are so worth the money... My mate told me, before i bought mine, once you get a Mac, you will neber go back! 100% correct!

That's just my 5 cents....

Nolndi
May 30th, 2009, 08:49
Mac or PC is really a personal choice and Macs are great being that they are fairly maintenance free since apple doesn't let you keep your warranty if you mess with the system yourself to save money. I personally like PCs simply because I'm comfortable with them and I'm used to building my own.

I did consider using apple for a very long time because of programs like Logic and garage band but after looking around a little more i found other programs that I like just as much such as Ableton live. I also like the ability to upgrade when i feel the need instead of having to go either buy a new system or see if i can send my existing system back for upgrades to be plugged into slots for an added fee on top of the parts cost.

Bottom line if you are buying the system for specific mac only options head to a store and see if they have places to demo the software you're looking for. Also check around online and see if you can find other programs you like just as much that may only be for PC, and of course if a free demo or trial is offered check into it. If you still feel that the mac software is more then sufficient for your needs then you're all set.

Keep in mind that Using a mac you can dual boot windows so if you have some mac only software, and some PC only software, and aren't really comfortable with computers that might be the way to go since when it comes time for maintenance, upgrading or even building it for the first time you may need to either pay someone to do it or figure it out on your own.

If you feel like using a PC but still feel like some of the programs offered by apple for mac only are the better way to go then you might have some problems unless you feel very comfortable working on and modifying PCs to make yourself a hackintosh or have deep pockets to have both a PC and mac.

pxshock
May 30th, 2009, 11:19
Mac or PC is really a personal choice and Macs are great being that they are fairly maintenance free since apple doesn't let you keep your warranty if you mess with the system yourself to save money. I personally like PCs simply because I'm comfortable with them and I'm used to building my own.

I did consider using apple for a very long time because of programs like Logic and garage band but after looking around a little more i found other programs that I like just as much such as Ableton live. I also like the ability to upgrade when i feel the need instead of having to go either buy a new system or see if i can send my existing system back for upgrades to be plugged into slots for an added fee on top of the parts cost.

Bottom line if you are buying the system for specific mac only options head to a store and see if they have places to demo the software you're looking for. Also check around online and see if you can find other programs you like just as much that may only be for PC, and of course if a free demo or trial is offered check into it. If you still feel that the mac software is more then sufficient for your needs then you're all set.

Keep in mind that Using a mac you can dual boot windows so if you have some mac only software, and some PC only software, and aren't really comfortable with computers that might be the way to go since when it comes time for maintenance, upgrading or even building it for the first time you may need to either pay someone to do it or figure it out on your own.

If you feel like using a PC but still feel like some of the programs offered by apple for mac only are the better way to go then you might have some problems unless you feel very comfortable working on and modifying PCs to make yourself a hackintosh or have deep pockets to have both a PC and mac.

VERY WELL SAID! :-)

as far as i remember, hackintosh only works on intel based architectures, so if you buy, buy an intel cpu system just incase u deside to play with the oses.

im a 100% linux user, so personally id say your better off with macs, if u want stability and the works, and it seems most needed apps are available for macs too :-) also u can dual boot with mac, and the set up is super easy from what i heard.

and macs are sleek and sexy ;-) ofc the stability is what is most impressive.

for some decent specks today, id say about 3-4gb ram, and a core2duo with a 3mb l2 cache.

personal peference, but i usually love to work in the dark, so i made sure i got my self one of those lappies that have backlit keyboards, to i can work in pitch darkness :), also a led back lit screen gives u more vibrant colour display.

but also look at the warentee and stuff, who has more years.

dells are strong pcs, unlikely to just stop working, macs idk, but if u have warentee that shoulnt concern you much in your decision making (most of the 'just stoped working' usually happens in the warentee period).

ive heard bad thing about hp, quite a number actually, but, ah like i said, if u have warentee, that should comfort u a lil.

for me when i was choosing it was dell xps or mac book, but i finally chose xps, as i got more specks for MUCH LESS.

i came with vista, and in like 4 days it crashed and blue/red screens...ahh i got rid of vista and put on debian, soo much happier now...:) and if i desperatly need to use a windows app, i simulate windows in debian one desktop two.

if u have any questions or want to know somthing else, ill try explain to the best of my knoledge :-)

i have imac 24" \o/

whale
Jun 1st, 2009, 22:03
Im working with Apple Macintosh for over 10 years or so , Ive never changed to PC.

I love my Mac :)

But...... go to an Apple shop or a Media Markt ( which have Macs too ) and try it :)

andski
Jun 2nd, 2009, 08:28
MAC !!!

Dan
Jun 2nd, 2009, 13:42
MAC !!!

:iagree: mac ftw...

BlackCard
Jun 4th, 2009, 18:53
MAC 4ever!

BlackCard
Jun 4th, 2009, 18:54