PDA

View Full Version : What are the best headphones?

jimbnc
May 25th, 2008, 23:25
Can anyone guide me on purchasing a pair of Headphones. What is the most popular set that DJ's use for doing their stuff and just listening to music?...Thanks for any info, Im looking to buy a pair...

jim

berlinpvd
May 26th, 2008, 02:00
try Alessandro they cost around $199

lethalleigh
May 26th, 2008, 15:09
Sennheiser are always good, have clarity so good for monitoring, and depending on which model you get are also comfortable for lengthy music listening!

i have only ever had a pair of Sony MDR-V500, Sennheiser HD280 Pro, and my Technics RDH1200's, i recommend the last 2, Sony was what i started out mixing with, i wouldnt go back to them now

hope this helps :grinning:!

mantisdj
May 31st, 2008, 23:55
Yeah Senheisser's are very reliable and the good thing about them is just about everything on them can be replaced. I have been using the same Sennheiser HD25 SP headphones for the last four years and they still run good as new.

cxcool
Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:44
UE 10.pro

Lazarus
Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:52
Technics RP-DH1200 > Sennheisers :P

http://www.partysound.ro/images/Casti%20DJ%20Technics%20RP-DH1200.jpg

dfx
Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:57
i just ordered myself technics rp-dj1200, the only quality ones i could find with cups small enough to fit over my glasses...

90degrees
Jul 23rd, 2008, 16:45
two different things here, you won't listen to your music casually on cans primarily designed for DJ use as most, e.g. Sony MDR700 (V / R / DJ) put an emphasis on highs which is okay when mixing but far from Hi-Fi. Open cans or closed design for noise cancellation (some with magic circuitry) etc.
Best to try at a guitar shop, audio shop, DJ supplier, but no such thing as "best headphones".
But to give some personal preferences:
DJ use: Allen & Heath XD-53
casual listen: anything Sennheiser

a'ndY
Jul 23rd, 2008, 16:58
Technics RP-DH1200 > Sennheisers :P

http://www.partysound.ro/images/Casti%20DJ%20Technics%20RP-DH1200.jpg

+1 :grinning:

Psytronic
Jul 23rd, 2008, 22:22
the new denon pair
they easily destroy my hd 650's !

piccoli
Jul 23rd, 2008, 22:27
any sennheiser will be good:music:

Config
Jul 24th, 2008, 00:39
I'm very happy with my Stanton DJ Pro 2000's, a nice price for very good headphones :)

djabstraction
Jul 24th, 2008, 15:33
I recently upgraded to a set of Pioneer HDJ-1000s and am really happy with them allthough they have their pros and cons of course, as with anything.

http://www.copystars.com/images_products/pioneer_hdj_1000_s8395.jpg

The volume is extremely loud, and very mid ranged so it cuts through the noise of the speakers so you can isolate you cueing. The pads fit really snugly onto your head and are a little bit on the tight side so can make your ears a little sore during long sessions.

As for using them during production as they are very strong in the mid range you will need to compensate your mixes as when you play it on something flat it will sound very different, these certainly aren't flat response headphones unfortunately, although the sound quality is very good.

Personally I would say for the best results get DJ headphones for DJ'ing, and reference headphones for producing, don't try and get a pair that will do both as they will fail at one of the tasks for sure. Unless of course they have a "dj mode" button that adds eq relevant to hearing in noisy situations.

Also, these cans are solid, and extremely well built, just like all Pioneer gear :)

a'ndY
Jul 24th, 2008, 17:40
Also, these cans are solid, and extremely well built, just like all Pioneer gear :)

Say that again in three months when they're broken :) j/k, heard from a lot of people they break easily though, hope yours will last a long time :grinning:

DistantLand
Jul 24th, 2008, 18:07
Sony MDR v700dj series they last very long... Any headphones from the Sony MDR series are worth it...

dfx
Jul 24th, 2008, 18:18
http://djservice.com/dj_equipment/TECHNICS/RP-DJ/RP-DJ1200_2.jpg

just arrived today... let's see how happy i am with them :P

djabstraction
Jul 24th, 2008, 19:41
Say that again in three months when they're broken :) j/k, heard from a lot of people they break easily though, hope yours will last a long time :grinning:

:lol: I hope so, I look after my gear. Allot of DJs get drunk and trash their gear or let other people mess about with it, I doubt that helps much :lol:

Freddy12
Jul 26th, 2008, 18:53
I love my stanton pro 3000 really nice sounds

Lewander
Jul 28th, 2008, 13:30
Can recommend HDJ-1000, THEY`RE REALLY GOOD!

Paolo Armena
Aug 7th, 2008, 22:09
Sony MDR v700dj series they last very long... Any headphones from the Sony MDR series are worth it...

I second that definately however, after 3 years of constant use, mine have fallen apart :( ....So I am going to buy sennheiser 215īs tommorrow :music:

But if you can get the sony ones...get them!

Covecchio
Aug 7th, 2008, 23:04
I got the Sennheisers HD280, i use them for studiomixing and recording.
Specialized in lower frequencies its excellent in beatmatching, but when the volumes are suddenly turned up, pressing a wrong cue button for example, can cause severe damage to your hearing(Personal experience:wow:).
It aint that fashionable though, people look at you in the train when you wear them, theyre awfully big:lol:

Ikarus
Aug 8th, 2008, 09:43
Sennheiser HD25 or Sony MDR V700

Paolo Armena
Aug 8th, 2008, 16:22
I got the Sennheisers HD280, i use them for studiomixing and recording.
Specialized in lower frequencies its excellent in beatmatching, but when the volumes are suddenly turned up, pressing a wrong cue button for example, can cause severe damage to your hearing(Personal experience:wow:).
It aint that fashionable though, people look at you in the train when you wear them, theyre awfully big:lol:

they cant be any bigger than the Sennheiser 215īs.....like wearing hifi speakers on your head...top purchase though:music:

Covecchio
Aug 9th, 2008, 01:43
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/8999/09082008034ak3.jpg

think again :rofl:

Paolo Armena
Aug 10th, 2008, 15:58
yeah those are fairly big man :lol:

but for the sound quality its worth it. Im guessing those are very similar to the 215s as they cover the ear completely. I tried my new 215s playing out in a club last night and found them to be very good for club use. They really cut out all the ambient noise when you need them to :grinning:

Covecchio
Aug 11th, 2008, 22:10
The HD 280 is famous for the lower frequencies, i used them on the decks aswell, they are awesome for the beatmatching and the its pretty comfortable aswell, alot of foam, does itch at times but then again i wear them for 4 hours long most of the time.
But the headphones fits all sizes and they cut off everything from the outside. Which is also a downside, most of the time people scare you to deatch or sneak up from behind:P

Wearing daipers is a must, scares the shit of you when they do that:blink:

Andrew_Fuse
Aug 31st, 2008, 15:11
+1 :grinning:

UU i LOve these Technics :) They are not so expensive, and they are very good :super::grinning:

P.S Technics RP-DH1200

TranceOwnsLol
Aug 31st, 2008, 18:39
I love my Allen & Heath Xone XD 53.

A&H make the best mixers and headphones...pretty pricey though.

$299 USD for the XD 53

ALLEN & HEATH :: WORLD CLASS MIXERS (http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/xonexd53headphones.asp)

http://www.allen-heath.com/AHImages/XD53.jpg

Another headphone I would recommend is the sennheiser hd 25...nice portable small headphones which have great isolation.

If you're unsure, watch this video.

YouTube - Six Pairs of Pro DJ Headphones Compared (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9En6Cvi9ces)

DreamensioN
Oct 11th, 2008, 09:09
UE 10.pro

Don't get me started on how CRAP my UE's were. OMG....

Biggest waste of money - EVER.

The first set I had, lasted around 2 weeks. Then I claimed them under warrenty. The 2nd set lasted about a month - then I tried to make another claim under warrenty. They didn't want to know me after that.

IMHO - UE's are very expensive, over rated, and poor quality. Only thing they have is a good marketing engine. "Madonna uses these headphones, and so does Sting - so you should use them to." What it doesn't say is that Madonna used them for 30 seconds before she threw them in the bin....

...which is where my UE's ended up.

JayCan
Nov 12th, 2008, 07:04
Yesterday i ordered my new Pioneer HDJ 1000:super:

I read alot about headphones here on ah and other boards and it was everywhere the same...Pioneer, Technics and Sony are the most used and in main all are Pros & Contras...so i decided for Pioneer cause the mixers and cdjs are the best from pioneer so i think it is the same with Headphones :P

a'ndY
Nov 12th, 2008, 20:38
Yesterday i ordered my new Pioneer HDJ 1000:super:

I read alot about headphones here on ah and other boards and it was everywhere the same...Pioneer, Technics and Sony are the most used and in main all are Pros & Contras...so i decided for Pioneer cause the mixers and cdjs are the best from pioneer so i think it is the same with Headphones :P

Like I said before, talk to you in 4 weeks when they're broken :):):)

j/k, I hope yours last longer than most HDJ1000 of other people do :wink:

JayCan
Nov 13th, 2008, 07:29
Like I said before, talk to you in 4 weeks when they're broken :):):)

j/k, I hope yours last longer than most HDJ1000 of other people do :wink:

No problem...when they breake inbetween the 2 Year general Guarantee time inbetween europe..i send them back and get new ones...i know trade laws and guarantee laws very well so mybe i have new headphones for free every 4 weeks :P

TranceTrouble
Nov 13th, 2008, 10:37
currently using the Senheisser HD205,
great headphone for all kind of multimedia applications.. :music:
even when you're an addicted gamer like me... :bravo:

nice thing about Sennheiser is that the cables always last way longer then others.. i use my headphone alot and putting it on and off alot and normal my experience with other headphones is that always the cables are getting broken.. cutting pieces out sometimes helps untill you got no more cable left lol... :lol:

before the HD205, i had a HD202 also great headphone still using it sometimes already got it about 5 years now and quality still the same as i bought it, only thing is that the HD205 got a bit better quality.. so the HD202 is savely in the travelbag of the HD205 now and using him as backup... :):muahaha:

Margoss
Nov 13th, 2008, 13:07
sennheiser sure makes good headphones (even tho i find them overpriced), but i wouldn't put them into the "dj headphones" category...

TranceTrouble
Nov 13th, 2008, 14:54
sennheiser sure makes good headphones (even tho i find them overpriced), but i wouldn't put them into the "dj headphones" category...
maybe not for a DJ but for all time use for media @ home or just to listen its great.. :super::bravo:

apocalypse_now
Dec 3rd, 2008, 00:35
I just got a pair of Denon Dn-Hp1000 really cheap off ebay and they are very very good. I'm not even a DJ, yet, but I just had to get theses headphones and I'm so glad I did. The sound quality is amazing, unlike anything I've ever heard and the bass response is unparalleled. I recommend these headphones to all aspiring and current DJs.

DJBlackbird
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:52
I have a Pioneer 450, a MDR-V700 and am considering a AKG or Beyer Dynamic for in the studio.
The Sony is going to break down in a few months I think but the sound is quite ok for DJ'ing.

PhillipAlpha
Dec 6th, 2008, 16:16
Sound: Stanton DJ Pro 3000
Reliability: Sony MDR-V700
Comprimise between two above-mentioned: Pioneer HDJ-1000

jarminvonnitely
Dec 6th, 2008, 18:34
I just got a pair of Denon Dn-Hp1000 really cheap off ebay and they are very very good. I'm not even a DJ, yet, but I just had to get theses headphones and I'm so glad I did. The sound quality is amazing, unlike anything I've ever heard and the bass response is unparalleled. I recommend these headphones to all aspiring and current DJs.

Same here they are fantastic :super:

Tarek
Feb 4th, 2009, 02:37
I myself was eyeing the HDJ 1000s..thing is, they seem to break easily..usually after half a year.

I'm kinda paranoid about them now, but what seems to balance out is the sound quality.

What I'm thinking here is, maybe there is a "compromise pair" that is more durable but doesn't lack in sound quality as much..

I was looking at the Xones but they're a teeny bit over my budget here. Maybe the Technics or something..

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I've found this great site called DJDeals.com..and they offer pretty good prices compared to most of the competition

apocalypse_now
Feb 5th, 2009, 00:08
tarek, i really suggest you look at the Denon's, they're really worth the price and i got mine off ebay for 120$Canadian, if ever ur in the NDG area near villa ur welcome to come over and try them. just PM me.

Tarek
Feb 5th, 2009, 02:01
I looked at them ..and reviews everywhere say that they have better sound than the Pioneers..(I wonder why they auto-point at the pioneers..but whatever..gave me a good frame of reference)

I am going for those denons. Found them in Mississauga Ontario on ebay for 140$ free shipping..only sales tax 13%..so....158-ish.

Wow..120$..good timing.

EDIT: btw can you tell me what kind of material is used at the extensions..between the headband and the swivel for the cups?

The specs of these headphones are really good for the price..overkill at some points ( frequency range starts at 5 hertz..well below our hearing..and I think 33kHz..which is WAY beyond our hearing too)..53 mm drivers..should distort less at higher volumes..(even though I don't listen to music that high)

Only problem now is that I'll have to buy myself a mini amp because my mp3 player is not that strong in terms of volume output. I'm considering a FiiO e5.

Edit2: Oh great..nickel plated connection..gah..why not gold...guess I'll have to buy a golden one..but the general iPod/computer (forgot size) connector will stay nickel..grr..whatever..I'll take the sacrifice.

Junior
Feb 5th, 2009, 03:50
whats are good heaphones under $100 bucks?

i have the Sony MDR-V150
http://www.goelectronic.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/sony_mdr-v150.jpg
they deliver nice quality, bass sounds fantastic, i would love better ones tho.

i would love the MDR-V700 also tho.

Tarek
Feb 5th, 2009, 04:07
Grado Sr60 apparently are good..or sr80..or koss porta pros

apocalypse_now
Feb 5th, 2009, 09:06
Wow..120$..good timing.

EDIT: btw can you tell me what kind of material is used at the extensions..between the headband and the swivel for the cups?

ya i know, im really lucky. i won the auction in november and the dollar was at the highest its been in months so it was like 108Us converted to 120Ca

as for the material i really couldnt tell, i think its plastic:dontknow:

Tarek
Feb 5th, 2009, 22:40
Gah..bad luck to me..looks like both pairs were sold overnight..and the cheapest is at 180$..without shipping..damn

wanted
Feb 22nd, 2009, 23:38
the best grado