PDA

View Full Version : Which Pioneer mixer is better?

nDaMix@714
Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:47
Which one is better DJM 400 or DJM 3000 and WHY? THANKS for your respond. I really appreciate it.

DreamensioN
Oct 11th, 2008, 09:13
Errr...they're completely different things.

DJM 400 is a 2 channel mixer
DJM 3000 is a rack mounted 4 channel mixer

And they have totally different features.

Its like saying - whats better, The Volkswagen Golf, or the Range Rover?

What do you need the mixer to do?

willwatson
Oct 14th, 2008, 10:22
Agreed with DreamensioN, I used to have a DJM400 and theyre great mixers for your bedroom.
The EQ are the typical Pioneer EQ pots but theyre the best in the market.
The EFX are set to steps using your bpm so make them sound alot tidier when thrown into mixes.

The DJM300 is a rack mountable mixer which is mainly used for the dual CDJ combo's which you can get. (They all fit nicley in a box - mainly for mobile DJ users who take their gear with them) so expect the 3000 to take up alot of room width wise.

Personally I loved the DJM400, It's a great little mixer. Even though it only has two channels you can flip them between Line and Phono/Line. - Giving you a 2 CDJ / 2 Turntable option or 4 CDJ option. Bare in mind you can only mix two at a time.

Hope this helps ;)

evyqueen87
Oct 19th, 2008, 04:37
I use a urei 1620 the best ... paid $1500.00 dollars...it does wonder for me...

dfx
Oct 19th, 2008, 13:00
I use a urei 1620 the best ... paid $1500.00 dollars...it does wonder for me...

that's not exactly a dj mixer :unsure:

evyqueen87
Oct 19th, 2008, 13:40
what would you call it then... club mixer...

dfx
Oct 19th, 2008, 13:49
what would you call it then... club mixer...

club mixer is pretty much synonymous with dj mixer. minimum feature set is a 3-band eq per channel as well as a gain knob and line fader per channel, plus the option to cue enable any and each of them into the headphones. at least that's the de-facto standard feature set these days, which for example the urei 1603 has. the 1620 seems to be more like a generic audio mixer. of course you can dj mix with is as well, but you won't find it in any club.

evyqueen87
Oct 19th, 2008, 21:39
club mixer is pretty much synonymous with dj mixer. minimum feature set is a 3-band eq per channel as well as a gain knob and line fader per channel, plus the option to cue enable any and each of them into the headphones. at least that's the de-facto standard feature set these days, which for example the urei 1603 has. the 1620 seems to be more like a generic audio mixer. of course you can dj mix with is as well, but you won't find it in any club.
most of the clubs, here in south florida ...that i have been in dj booths have knobs and a seperate cross over, with great sounds systems ...not mickey mouse ones....those mixers your talking ...bout with sliders are for rapper and scratchers....me personally i use two turn tables. double cd player, cd burner. tape deck for cassettes and a lovely reel to reel...oh and my direct tv goes threw the urei too.and most of all can't forget the computer....

willwatson
Oct 21st, 2008, 13:50
Think we're etting off topic here. DJM400, period.

paulpearson
Nov 2nd, 2008, 10:18
get the 800 ;)

mantisdj
Dec 7th, 2008, 12:46
Not sure what the 3000 is like but I imagine that the price difference will be what dictates what to get. If you can afford a 3000 then get one over the 400, you can get the 400 for around 300 where as I understand the 3000 is around 500.

I have the DJM400 and it is a quality mixer. So I'd choose tha over many other s in its price bracket.

PhillipAlpha
Dec 7th, 2008, 23:19
for Pioneer mixers it goes like this:

Bedroom: DJM-400
Club: 800>1000>700

dfx
Dec 7th, 2008, 23:22
and wheres the 600 in that list? :P

PhillipAlpha
Dec 10th, 2008, 03:49
and wheres the 600 in that list? :P

trashcan? :P

i just personally prefer "the rest of the world" over 600 :P

Deja Vu
Jan 8th, 2009, 16:29
i got djm 800 n i love it

Sasha Pidann
Jan 13th, 2009, 13:00

Interesting...could you please elaborate a little further what your grievances are with DJM600? I have never EVER seen anything else installed in a club before except for RODEC which is very popular in Belgium, but 600 is pretty much a standard. And for a reason, although like our friend quoted earlier he really likes his 800 model - its a little too expensive for what it is. (Just get a EFX-1000 and 600 and you are better than on par), but 600 is a good value, descent sound, very easy to use, and has really good built quality. So my question is why do you think it belongs in a trash can? And you prefer "everything" over 600? The only complain i have is the crossfader is not tight enough, but seeing how most people on here don't really scratch thats no problem. i know its a personal preference, but im just not sure what you have a problem with when it comes to this great mixer. So please, tell us all what we should invest in? Before we throw our money into a trashcan :tease:

/uses korg zero8

dfx
Jan 13th, 2009, 19:15
:iagree:

thanks for posting this, exactly my thoughts, just couldnt be bothered to actually post this :lol:

PhillipAlpha
Jan 13th, 2009, 19:16
The sound of the 600 is not superb - and that to me is more important than a tonnes of FX :)

PhillipAlpha
Jan 13th, 2009, 19:16
and preffering all over the 600 is only when talking Pioneer mixers :P

again - i'd buy 400 - 700 or 800 over the 600 - cause they have better sound

Sasha Pidann
Jan 13th, 2009, 23:36
and preffering all over the 600 is only when talking Pioneer mixers :P

again - i'd buy 400 - 700 or 800 over the 600 - cause they have better sound

Hey, thanks for the response PhillipAlpha!

I agree that 800 has better sound (in theory!), but that is because when sound is send through it, it is digitized through an A/D converter and then its all digital sound is the output. But look at the price difference! and DJM400 is 2 channel (last time i checked vs 4 channel 600) and is also all digital, That is pretty much the only difference in sound output those have (to my understanding - correct me if im wrong please). I have no idea what kind of preAMP you have, but if you must have a CRAZY ONE if you can really hear the difference. Can you honestly say you can? Really? As far as function, availability, ease of use and overall package goes - 600 is not a bad choice. A good choice even in my opinion. It can be purchased cheaply from ebay if you are stricken for cash and will not cost you an arm and a leg; a used 600 will set you back around $650 vs $1400 for a used 800, so comparison is not quite accurate. And ive never used a DJM400 before so i will just take your word for it! :chair:

Your response reminds me of an "old skool" DJ buddy of mine who was completely CONVINCED that vinyl is the only medium to spin just because it has SUPERIOR SOUND to those crappy little CDs with their non-analog sound. when sound is loud enough man, NO ONE can tell the difference outside your bedroom or studio. (I actually think CDs sound better since you can level out the volume before you burn, plus no clicking or background noise due to bad ground :P)

So value = 600
Sound quality = 800 (if you have supersonic hearing)

in my opinion of course...

You are not wrong by any account my friend, don't think i'm arguing with you - its just not fair to say djm600 is garbage worthy according to you. Someone who does not know may take your overreaction as the gospel truth, and think it sounds like a Behringer, the truth is, its a very solid mixer for the money.

cheers!

PhillipAlpha
Jan 14th, 2009, 03:14
fun fact - Behringer ripped off the 600 - and made the DJX-700 - which soundwise is better and cheaper than the 600 :P - but without the same fx - and the reliability of a papyrus found in a pyramid :)

you can hear it in the high frequencies - on neutral monitors - most speakers atm is not sound neutral - not even the DJ headphones are :) - but when i listen my liverecordings @ home - i can hear the flaws of the 600 - there are even ppl out there that doesent believe that 192 kbps mp3 - is just as good 320 :) - and you can hear its not. ideally all should have wav - but as we all know lossless formats arent exactly small :)

dfx
Jan 14th, 2009, 03:20
lol @ behringer being better than pioneer

PhillipAlpha
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:48
dfx> soundwise yeah - usability & sound combined the 600 would win - hands down - but soundwise the behringer is better in the higher frequencies than a 600 :)

oh and i just love your whole attitude dfx :)

PhillipAlpha
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:52
btw - uhm.. the whole argument for the 400 is - you pretty much only use 2 channels anyway :P

Ajs82
Jan 15th, 2009, 19:20
DJM 800 all the way, midi controller does it for me

apocalypse_now
Jan 16th, 2009, 05:45
When I started to look for DJ gear I came across the DJM-400 and I've been hell bent on getting this mixer for myself; what really caught my eye was the World's First In-Loop Sampler. But today I came across the Numark 5000FX mixer which has a sampler and some similar effects. Can anyone give me some insight?? all opinions are greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind that I do not have any DJ gear yet nor have I ever really done any beatmatching.

Jon e bass
Jan 16th, 2009, 06:17
500 here but would like to get 800 too, or just go allen & heath....4 eq's/channel.. muahhhaaa.....

Sasha Pidann
Jan 17th, 2009, 01:55
When I started to look for DJ gear I came across the DJM-400 and I've been hell bent on getting this mixer for myself; what really caught my eye was the World's First In-Loop Sampler. But today I came across the Numark 5000FX mixer which has a sampler and some similar effects. Can anyone give me some insight?? all opinions are greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind that I do not have any DJ gear yet nor have I ever really done any beatmatching.

no gear before? i might be bias but get Kong Zero8. Don't take my word for it, research it; read some reviews, watch some videos... you know the drill ;)

tubby
Apr 8th, 2009, 06:17
they are a bit different mixers. 3000 is 19" 4 channel, vs small 2 channel.
the 3000 improves a little on the sound of the 600, but the 400/700/800 are much better.
the 400 suffers a little from the lack of balanced outputs if you are using it in a club system, 3000 has 1/4" and xlr as well as rca outputs.
effects on both are about the same, both beat sync'd, but the 400 does not have an fx loop, so if you want to use other effects they can only be on one channel or the master out.

I had the 3000 for about 6 years, never had an issue with it, bought the rotary kit and loved that though the fader curve could have been better. was a well laid out and nice ot use mixer. I only sold it as I wanted to move to something different so bought a midi mixer

Tranceroute
Jun 13th, 2009, 05:07
for Pioneer mixers it goes like this:

Bedroom: DJM-400
Club: 800>1000>700

Why The DJM-400 only for bedroom, you cant use them for a real mix or a party? Im a rookie on this and im goin to study ofr djying so i want to know

dfx
Jun 13th, 2009, 12:47
Why The DJM-400 only for bedroom, you cant use them for a real mix or a party? Im a rookie on this and im goin to study ofr djying so i want to know
the djm-400 has no balanced (xlr) master output, that's why it's not useable for professional setups (such as in a club).

OddSeed
Oct 31st, 2009, 07:17

XD!!!! :iagree:

Rglrguy
Nov 3rd, 2009, 04:11
most of the clubs, here in south florida ...that i have been in dj booths have knobs and a seperate cross over, with great sounds systems

I agree with evyqueen87. Every major club here in NYC used to use Urei 1620s or Bozak rotary mixers. These days you also see a lot of Rane 2016s which were modeled after the Urei 1620s; which in turn, were modeled after the Bozak mixer. They use high end knobs instead of cross faders. The mixes you get with these are a lot smoother than any mixer with a cross fader especially if one song is louder than the next.

I remember my first gig at a club that had a Urei. it had 3 turntables suspended on rubber bands and playing out LOUD was so different from playing at home.

if you're just starting out, a two channel mixer is fine. One of my first mixers was a GLI with a cross fader. I made many mix tapes and used it for many mobile gigs. When I bought my first knob mixer, I was amazed on how clean the sound was in comparison. However, if you're really in this for the long-haul, then go with something that has more channels. The added EQ and built-in effects of the newer mixers are cool and you can also buy knob faders to replaced your slide channel faders as an option on some models from the Rane and Vestax units. Not sure if the Pioneers have this option. Either way, if you're using it for scratching, then disregard this little history lesson. :-)

Mateo
Dec 12th, 2009, 08:13
You should experiment with several and find out what you feel most comfortable with as well as in your price range, everybody in here is going to tell you what to get but every dj has there own preference. I personally have gone the pioneer path started with 300, then 500,600 and Now currently own the 800 and love it and is commonly found in a lot of clubs. My friend owns an Allen and Heath xone92 witch i really fricking wish i had too!! In my opinion if your just starting out or beginner i would go with the 400