PDA

View Full Version : 15-10-2008 Livesets Forum Poll votes Public

Dan
Oct 15th, 2008, 17:44
Hello everyone, this is a rather quick announcement. It has been suggested by quite a few people to make the poll votes in Livesets Forum all public. By saying public it means everyone can see what you voted for the show. We believe that this would actually help improve the shows quality and styles aswell encourage people to vote truthfully, this also helps DJ's to point out shows that were not so well liked etc.

I would like to add that nobody needs to justify anything here, in your votes, we would like everyone to be honest when you place your votes on the shows you listen to. Also by having truthful votes AH.FM can see which shows are popular :)

Please vote with honesty, don't vote bad because you just don't like the DJ. Thank you all and please post any comments.

ps.. public votes are going in effect starting tomorrow :)

:grinning::wink:

Wailo
Oct 16th, 2008, 06:09
Hi Dan,

what about making an option for voter if they wants their name to appear or stay anonymous?

as the AH community is growing and getting closer to each other, Some voters may find it too harsh to say it to the DJ face that the show was Bad, in this case, if the name has to appear with vote, they may avoid hitting the vote button as an easier option...

hope you got what I mean with my crappy writing!

this is just an individual opinion.

thanks for the add on the facebook :)

Good day!

Faustus
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:22
I agree with the new feature that Dan proposed, but Wailo has some point here:grinning:
The problem is not about the users imo. I can vote whatever I want anonymously or not. I m just a user.
There might be a problem among djs their selves ...Meaning that if dj A votes for "massive" par example for a set of dj B, then he might expect that the other one will do the same for him on his turn..
And I've noticed that happening already, even before the new public version of voting :P

JayCan
Oct 16th, 2008, 08:42
Wooot

Okay serious...

I think its a good thing for everyone to see who votet and what he/She voted.

For me it means i can ask directly a "Bad" voter what it was that he/she didnt like and in that case i can improve my skills or Shows cause im DJ for the PPL and i dont force MY thing to anybody.

Also the DJs among themselves can see and talk about and so also the quality will improve.

So i guess for everyone it will be better and DJs they are pissed about their votes have to learn to live with that cause its the meaning of the voter and surely nothing personal...and like DAN said...if anybody does personal bashing here it may have some consequences.

I also got wailos point but i know other boards where you always see the votes and there was never a problem with that.

just my 2 cents

cheers:)
JayCan

dfx
Oct 16th, 2008, 10:53
what about making an option for voter if they wants their name to appear or stay anonymous?

as the AH community is growing and getting closer to each other, Some voters may find it too harsh to say it to the DJ face that the show was Bad, in this case, if the name has to appear with vote, they may avoid hitting the vote button as an easier option...

well, for once the forum doesn't support this option - either the poll is public or it isn't, individual votes don't have this property. BUT i don't think it's really necessary. nobody will ever be asked to justify their vote. if you think the set was bad, then vote truthfully and select bad, even (or maybe even more so) if the dj is present. as long as you have good reason to vote what you vote (and it's not just for personal reason, as has happend here - this whole change is for a very good reason indeed), you will be ok. after all, djs (as everyone else) can only improve if they get feedback, and this includes the negative one as well.

overall i think it will improve the quality of the votes. it prevents (or should) votes given without actually having listened and things like that, while on the other hand giving more weight to votes given truthfully.

Dan
Oct 16th, 2008, 11:13
I agree with the new feature that Dan proposed, but Wailo has some point here:grinning:
The problem is not about the users imo. I can vote whatever I want anonymously or not. I m just a user.
There might be a problem among djs their selves ...Meaning that if dj A votes for "massive" par example for a set of dj B, then he might expect that the other one will do the same for him on his turn..
And I've noticed that happening already, even before the new public version of voting :P

I do understand that some users might want their votes to be anonymous, however I also believe in DJ should know really how their shows are to the listeners... quality..mixing....track selection etc, by having public votes it encourages the voter to be truthful. I'm aiming here for 2 important things:

Truthful voting by everyone
By having the above, a DJ will know the truth about the set & if they should improve etc.

Just to outline, voting system is in place to vote on the quality of the shows, so if you vote please do vote only how you rate the show and not how you dislike the DJ from day 1 so you vote BAD :)

Thank you all :hug:

t4e
Oct 16th, 2008, 16:26
my only comment to those that think voting should be anonymous is this....

i strongly believe in being open and truthful...have the guts to tell people to their face what you think...and most and foremost...stand proud for what you believe in...no need to hide behind anonymity and no need to justify your beliefs :)

DhumKetu
Oct 16th, 2008, 17:14
This might be slightly off topic atm, but what does "No thanks, not my style" implicate in a voting system?

Is it a way for ( say ) a Tech Trance lover to show his/her disgust upon any random set of Uplifting that is being aired or vice versa?

And for my personal info .. when can or does vote a set "No thanks, not my style"?

Faustus
Oct 16th, 2008, 17:15
my only comment to those that think voting should be anonymous is this....

i strongly believe in being open and truthful...have the guts to tell people to their face what you think...and most and foremost...stand proud for what you believe in...no need to hide behind anonymity and no need to justify your beliefs :)

:super:let's go and burn our bras now :):hug:

t4e
Oct 16th, 2008, 17:35
This might be slightly off topic atm, but what does "No thanks, not my style" implicate in a voting system?

Is it a way for ( say ) a Tech Trance lover to show his/her disgust upon any random set of Uplifting that is being aired or vice versa?

And for my personal info .. when can or does vote a set "No thanks, not my style"?

yes, pretty much...to me it reflects something that you don't like in terms of STYLE :)

dfx
Oct 16th, 2008, 17:46

i vote "not my style" if it's something techy or electro or anything like that. meaning that i'm not saying that it's objectively bad, but that i just don't like it at all, personally.

DhumKetu
Oct 16th, 2008, 18:26
( Thanks ) I read you both dfx and Bucket Queen!

More opinions?

JayCan
Oct 16th, 2008, 19:12
( Thanks ) I read you both dfx and Bucket Queen!

More opinions?

yeah

you always have to vote massive for DFX and me :P:P:P

kiddin:friends::friends::friends:

The Cat Lady
Oct 16th, 2008, 20:46

I'm with you on this. To me, "Not my style" says that I'm not a lover of THAT particular style. It says nothing about the set if I hated it but it IS my style.

I mentioned this to Dan yesterday. I think he should add another category to the bottom of the list, just above "Not my style" with a separating line between the "is my style" votes and the "not my style" comment. It should look like this:

MASSIVE!
Good
Decent
Pretty Bad
BUCKET!
-----------
No thanks, not my style

BUCKET! balances MASSIVE!, and "not my style" gains a meaning that actually makes sense in context.

So there you have it. :mask::cat:

The Cat Lady
Oct 16th, 2008, 20:49
:super:let's go and burn our bras now :):hug:

(??)

What bras? I haven't owned any of those torture devices nor its companion, pantyhose, in over 20 years. :lol::cat:

90degrees
Oct 16th, 2008, 21:14
open vote for sure.
no annonymous option, then rather don't vote but keeping the votes transparent and real, as JayCan suggested you can still follow up on that if it bugs you.
also if there is a really bad vote from your friends it shows the true value of friends and not just some sweet talk to stay popular on the boards.
if a DJ has a problem with that s/he should stay in the bedroom and don't publish at all.

Batman
Oct 17th, 2008, 20:21
i would fix the vote options like that

MASSIVE!
Good
Decent
Pretty Bad
i hate the dj,i vote shit even if i didnt listen the show at all <--- cause it HAPPENED , many times

and i hope that the public vote works for get those loosers out of that crappy game IMO!

good job dan

robiejaegs
Oct 17th, 2008, 21:43
Is there a way that we are able to change are votes?

dfx
Oct 17th, 2008, 21:48
Is there a way that we are able to change are votes?

nope, voted is voted. only an admin (and i think the owner of the poll?) can change votes.

DhumKetu
Oct 17th, 2008, 22:03
(Root) Admin, Moderators and the creator of the poll can alter them. Standard for any vBulletin, or IPB forum

t4e
Oct 18th, 2008, 03:55
(Root) Admin, Moderators and the creator of the poll can alter them. Standard for any vBulletin, or IPB forum

vBulleting does have an option where you can set the Poll to allow users to change their vote, its an add-on not currently installed afaik:)

dfx
Oct 18th, 2008, 04:03
i hate the dj,i vote shit even if i didnt listen the show at all <--- cause it HAPPENED , many times

indeed, in fact such (or a similar) incident was the reason for the sudden change. (no names will be mentioned.)

Robbie
Oct 18th, 2008, 20:16
bad idea... im never voting again. Your votes should be private. Who gives a shit who voted what, people are still being honest with there opinions. After all, you don't hear governments announcing who voted what after elections.

If someone gives you a bad vote, than as a DJ it should mean something to you.. ie. your set didnt please everyone, try something different next time. This is just another way to make enemies.

If some individuals want to be retards and vote bad simply because they hate the DJ, than they have there own issues. What kind of support is that?

t4e
Oct 18th, 2008, 20:40
why not vote again because its Public?.....when i vote i do it truthfully and i don't need to hide behind a Private Poll

dfx
Oct 18th, 2008, 23:36
Who gives a shit who voted what, people are still being honest with there opinions.

unfortunately they're not, we've clearly seen that, that was the whole reason for making this change.

After all, you don't hear governments announcing who voted what after elections.

yes, a political voting is quite a different matter with a different intention. can't compare the two really.

If someone gives you a bad vote, than as a DJ it should mean something to you.. ie. your set didnt please everyone, try something different next time.

unfortunately this isn't always the case. in some cases, it just meant someone doesn't like the DJ, personally. without even having listened to the set. hence the change.

If some individuals want to be retards and vote bad simply because they hate the DJ, than they have there own issues. What kind of support is that?

yes exactly. unfortunately they still did.

a'ndY
Oct 18th, 2008, 23:55
Why not make a poll whether the polls should be public... would this poll then be public, or would there be another poll whether the poll about having public polls should be public... or something... what what?:confused:

dfx
Oct 19th, 2008, 00:04
Why not make a poll whether the polls should be public... would this poll then be public, or would there be another poll whether the poll about having public polls should be public... or something... what what?:confused:

:beat:

Wailo
Oct 19th, 2008, 08:01
I agree with Robbie, the public vote will not make a change, because people are honest about their opinions whether it is anon or public, even for example if we say that some of voters are not honest with their vote, how would the public vote solve this? anyone can vote whatever he/she wants and no have the right to point a knife on his/her neck and ask hem/her to justify it! :lol:
it is just the beginning of a closed circle...

I am not against the public voting, but I think it is completely a waste of time, At the end of the day, voting is not mandatory, so it is better to work on attracting people to it by making it easier and friendly, you need to have more votes, not to cut them.

:spam::spam::spam:

hahaha.. :)

JayCan
Oct 19th, 2008, 08:25
If someone gives you a bad vote, than as a DJ it should mean something to you.. ie. your set didnt please everyone, try something different next time. This is just another way to make enemies.

Hi Robby:friends:

I understand this point in 2 different ways.

1: ) When the votes generally are bad for sure the DJ has to think about what hes playing, make his skills better, try other styles etc...In that case you are absolutly right and i sign what you said...but....

2.) What will happen if some users are here just to piss at some DJs ? For example what will happen if there are Users they love HOUSE and are just here on ah to bash against Trance ?
or what is about PPl they just like Hard Trance and go to every Show where uplift is played and always vote Pretty Bad or Not my Style ??

I think ppl must know what happens to improve
And i think PPl they are just here cause they have no other things to do in life and make shit like bashing Shows...i think they must leave ah

What will happen if some more do that and th DJ thinks he has to change something causing on bashing shit ??

Thats the backside of the coin

What will happen if bashing is the future Version to make a radiostation down ? What will happen to all the great awesome Shows we have here ??

I Dunno but if my Show is always votet with some pretty bad and not my style from a few users they do that also in ALL other uplifting Shows... i have to think thats my fault..and afterwards it comes out it was just bashing....hmmm .... what will happen.....

just a thought

dfx
Oct 19th, 2008, 13:25
I am not against the public voting, but I think it is completely a waste of time, At the end of the day, voting is not mandatory, so it is better to work on attracting people to it by making it easier and friendly, you need to have more votes, not to cut them.

luckily that change took me only 30 seconds or so, so even if it was really a waste of time, i could live with that :lol:

but tbh, i'd rather have less votes with more quality and more weight, instead of more votes with less meaning.

PhillipAlpha
Oct 19th, 2008, 15:44
i for one doesent care about the votes that much - ofc if a million dudes go "not my style" or "utter crap" on me - then we have a situation - but i'm just playing what i want to - without regard to the voters - infact i care more about the guys posting in the thread and telling me what they think - that the most people like it is just to my favour but still i take the "quotes" more seriously than votes - and i think that that is the most important :).

So if the votes are public or not is not that big a deal to me - there is no personal against people that dont like my show on that matter - if the person voting bad is someone i know i ofc wanna know why he/she did vote like they did - but it shouldnt be a problem. - it would keep me from voting anything but massive/good though - cause i kindda think im biased since voting bad might make someone else ***** about me :P

but we are all grown ups and i have yet to catch a dreadful show :P
Love you all!

evyqueen87
Oct 19th, 2008, 21:45
speech less.

SUNNY TOMORROW
Oct 19th, 2008, 23:11
Well I usually make my opinion about the shows i'm listening to pretty clear in the threads. So I'm not going to lie when I vote. If I think in my opinion a show is say pretty bad, then I will vote pretty bad. If people want to see why then they should look in the thread if they are that concerned to do so:wink:

Dan
Oct 20th, 2008, 10:02
Whoever does not feel right about this change speak your minds :)

thank you

robiejaegs
Oct 20th, 2008, 14:18
We all know what shows we enjoy here.If you don't like the current sound go elsewhere till that show is over or better yet I'm quite sure we have a ton of music on are PC's to carry us through that next hour or so.

In regards to bashing in the threads.It has gone a little overboard.One can be to the point without offending the dj or someone who is listening that does enjoy the track.

I was always honest with my votes so I really have no probelm either way(Public or Closed).

With that said,lets have a tad bit more respect for the dj's spinning and the community around us:hug:

SUNNY TOMORROW
Oct 20th, 2008, 23:12
We all know what shows we enjoy here.If you don't like the current sound go elsewhere till that show is over or better yet I'm quite sure we have a ton of music on are PC's to carry us through that next hour or so.

In regards to bashing in the threads.It has gone a little overboard.One can be to the point without offending the dj or someone who is listening that does enjoy the track.

I was always honest with my votes so I really have no probelm either way(Public or Closed).

With that said,lets have a tad bit more respect for the dj's spinning and the community around us:hug:

Yes, well having thought it through I think your probably right. Maybe we are getting a little to agressive in our judgements about the stuff being played.

There has been a lot ill feeling lately in some of the threads and some of it i'm sure hurtfull to the dj who is after all just playing his/her own style.

Also we have to remember that many people who come to that particular thread actually enjoy that kind of style. We may not all like vocals in trance or progressive in its many different styles, but many do. And we should better respect that and be less tempered in our criticism. Anyway we can hardly complain when its all free, can we???

Dan
Oct 21st, 2008, 00:09
Yes, well having thought it through I think your probably right. Maybe we are getting a little to agressive in our judgements about the stuff being played.

There has been a lot ill feeling lately in some of the threads and some of it i'm sure hurtfull to the dj who is after all just playing his/her own style.

Also we have to remember that many people who come to that particular thread actually enjoy that kind of style. We may not all like vocals in trance or progressive in its many different styles, but many do. And we should better respect that and be less tempered in our criticism. Anyway we can hardly complain when its all free, can we???

Totally agree with you mate :friends:

firefox_muc
Oct 22nd, 2008, 23:00
Hi everybody,

this is my 3rd post on forum.ah.fm. It's not everybodies habit to comment everything or to vote. My vote is between good and massive when I'm listening to ah.fm. If I don't like a particular show I tune to another station. Quite simple.
At the moment 60 of 965 listeners are logged in. 905 just listen. How many of the 60 are staff or DJ, and how many who are left then vote? Don't overrate the polls as they are now. Put the number of listeners into account.
I appreciate the work of everybody at ah.fm, that's why I donated. But people may not have enough time to read and write about every show they listen to.
I should have no problem with public polls. As a consequence "No thanks, not my style" would be unnecessary.

Greetings from rainy Germany :grinning:
Quiet [or silent?] listener firefox_muc :music:

Dan
Nov 17th, 2008, 01:44
Hi everybody,

this is my 3rd post on forum.ah.fm. It's not everybodies habit to comment everything or to vote. My vote is between good and massive when I'm listening to ah.fm. If I don't like a particular show I tune to another station. Quite simple.
At the moment 60 of 965 listeners are logged in. 905 just listen. How many of the 60 are staff or DJ, and how many who are left then vote? Don't overrate the polls as they are now. Put the number of listeners into account.
I appreciate the work of everybody at ah.fm, that's why I donated. But people may not have enough time to read and write about every show they listen to.
I should have no problem with public polls. As a consequence "No thanks, not my style" would be unnecessary.

Greetings from rainy Germany :grinning:
Quiet [or silent?] listener firefox_muc :music:

:friends::friends: