PDA

View Full Version : AH.FM Music Style Guide

Dan
Nov 16th, 2008, 20:25
As this topic keeps coming up in forum threads and also in private discussions, here's a quick summary of what music genres and styles AH.FM stands for and wants to deliver to you, its listeners.

You may wonder why we even need this. The reason is simple: AH.FM was created from day one with a certain music in mind, to keep this music alive and strong and to create a platform and community for all lovers of this music and to bring them together in one place. That being said, AH is not a general EDM radio station and never was meant to be, it's the Best in Trance and Progressive!

Note that this applies only to regular shows (incl. any guestmixes they may have) and most of the special events we have. Larger special events (such as EOYC) are partly exempt due to the scale of the event, also live broadcasts from clubs/events are exempt as we cannot control what's being played there (although we do try to select live events only that we think fit the profile). However, one-time "experiments", that is one-time shows with a totally different style, from DJs are not exempt from this rule and are not desired.

Also please note that this is not here to piss anyone off or to step on anyone's toes. We respect all different tastes for music and any different preference anyone may have. This only applies to AH and the music program and profile it's featuring. It's what we've always been and what we want to stick to, because that's what the listeners expect from us.

So this is what we want:

"Trance": Uplifting trance, vocal trance, epic trance, anthem trance, classic trance, dream trance, etc.
"Progressive": Progressive trance, progressive house.

Related styles are also ok to a certain extent, however the emphasis is on the above, so we do not encourage sets consisting only of related styles. Related styles includes:

Techtrance, hardtrance, electrotrance
Progressive breaks
Chillout, ambient

Everything else is not desired. A single track here or there won't kill anyone, but more than that is a no-no. The reason is that listeners expect trance and progressive (as above) from us and that's why they tune in. So this is what we want to deliver. In other words, we do not want:

Any form of techno (including minimal)
Most forms of house (except progressive): Funky house, tribal house, techhouse, electrohouse, deep house, hard house, etc.
Harddance, eurodance, gabber, hardcore, hardstyle, etc.
"Neotrance"
Psytrance, goa
Anything else unrelated, e.g. drum 'n' bass, jungle, dubstep, etc etc.
Obviously anything non-EDM.

We have room for a single show in our schedule which is exempt from this rule, and this is currently Marcus Schossow, due to the fact that he's been with us for a very long time already and because he's always been a big supporter. No other exceptions will be made.

danmark_ori
Nov 16th, 2008, 20:35
:book: (http://forum.ah.fm/livesets-ah-fm/14035-16-11-2008-tempo-giusto-global-sound-drift-015-a-10.html#post586787) Thanks for giving us very clear and openly this info Dan - I wondered earlier about the (near or complete) absence of some alternative styles :cap: (http://forum.ah.fm/livesets-ah-fm/14035-16-11-2008-tempo-giusto-global-sound-drift-015-a-10.html#post586801)

90degrees
Nov 16th, 2008, 20:42
funny though that Marcus held the most-listeners-count for a long time. :whistle:
(given the description and current style)

hmmm.....:hmmm:

t4e
Nov 16th, 2008, 20:46
funny though that Marcus held the most-listeners-count for a long time. :whistle:
(given the description and current style)

hmmm.....:hmmm:

i think his "french" helps too :mask:

piccoli
Nov 16th, 2008, 21:01
just a few words, some people will say i am suspect but i am a really hardcore trance lover, so what Dan said i agree, there's no room in this radio for other styles of EDM, IMO if any dj doesn't want this, ok there's a lot of trance dj's out there that is crying to have a slot here at AH.FM, i can be very radical but it's for the good of the station, keep trance alive:music:

Config
Nov 16th, 2008, 21:31
no problem for me :)

The Cat Lady
Nov 16th, 2008, 21:57
Way to go, Dan, for spelling it out so very clearly! Yes! High quality Uplfit Trance is my very favorite. It literaly saved my life. I've got room in my heart for the others that you have mentioned, but Trance and Progressive is what I'm here to listen to, and I'm VERY grateful that you are making a POINT about what AH stands for. :super: :music:

As for Marcus Schossow ... I wouldn't mind his show so much if he would just keep his nasty mouth shut. His complete and total lack of communication skills leaves very much to be desired, and just flat leaves me COLD to his music. As long as he lets his mouth speak instead of his music, he will always get bad ratings from me. I just don't think that dropping the F-Bomb in every single sentence is the right way to win friends and enfluence people. In my book, he's a loser. And all because he can't seem to be able to speak in mixed company. What a shame. :P

Love you, Dan. (kiss) :hug::cat:

Tarek
Nov 17th, 2008, 00:00
i think his "french" helps too :mask:
His french?

Is that supposed to be a joke? :P

Ronny K.
Nov 17th, 2008, 00:09
Ehm, I should be OK then :super::super::super::lol::whistle:

JayCan
Nov 17th, 2008, 07:05
Ehm, I should be OK then :super::super::super::lol::whistle:

Yah Ronny you should be ok :)

like me:music:

JayCan
Nov 17th, 2008, 07:11
Oki

I think i need to say something..

During a set yesterday DAN and me had a conversation via MSN about the set and the music styles were played there...we had problems to find out sometimes wich style it is :)

In general i like a lot of Styles inbetween the general TRANCE Style... i dont like these Eurodance and blepblop electro things also with house in general i have a problem...

We talked alot and in he last weeks also much talking with DFX and t4e about and we all were the meaning, that Trance and Progressive must be the Thing AH.FM is about...like DAN said...there is space for lil experiments means 1 track in a show...me myself tried out a psy track in my last show and it was okay....

but we all and i mean WE DJS must come back to the thing we are all invited for to play on AH...pure Trance and Progressive...coz exactly THAT makes AH outstanding fom all oher Stations....

so keep up the good work

cheers

Ronny K.
Nov 17th, 2008, 19:10
Yah Ronny you should be ok :)

like me:music:

I think so :P

I am in uplifting trance like fish in a water :super:

90degrees
Nov 17th, 2008, 22:17
Oki

I think i need to say something..

During a set yesterday DAN and me had a conversation via MSN about the set and the music styles were played there...we had problems to find out sometimes wich style it is :)
Replay of Markus Schulz? :mask:

We talked alot and in he last weeks also much talking with DFX and t4e about and we all were the meaning, that Trance and Progressive must be the Thing AH.FM is about...like DAN said...there is space for lil experiments means 1 track in a show...me myself tried out a psy track in my last show and it was okay....
so starting with a slow chill out tune and ending in psy, maybe with a progressive breaks track (NOT breakbeat) in the breakdown of the set (of which genre a lot of tracks contain trancey elements) and ending in psy would be a no-no, three out-of-line tracks too much?
I mean if it fits the flow and works overall for the set - why not?
Maybe just a tiny bit more disgression like 1-3 tracks or 25%/75% and the advice for the DJs to make sure that those work?
Just thoughts running about...

but we all and i mean WE DJS must come back to the thing we are all invited for to play on AH...pure Trance and Progressive...coz exactly THAT makes AH outstanding fom all oher Stations....

so keep up the good work

cheers
granted, but can backfire, track repetition and IMO (and it's just that) less variety given current productions.
Not naming names, there are some shows that are outstanding and some that are just fillers.
Again just IMO but I prefer a set that entertains me, that I can distinguish from other mixes, that I want to replay and that maybe even opens my horizon in regards for other styles.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating a change of AHs style but having a section every whatever 2nd or 3rd weekday of the month -even if just as a test run- could be viable to AH too, promotion works in so many ways, from one genre to the other, from one radio station to another and for the DJs too, a chance to showcase their other interests as well.

just some thoughts but I'm sure Dan and crew will push AH in the right direction

Wailo
Nov 18th, 2008, 05:06
As for Marcus Schossow ... I wouldn't mind his show so much if he would just keep his nasty mouth shut. His complete and total lack of communication skills leaves very much to be desired, and just flat leaves me COLD to his music. As long as he lets his mouth speak instead of his music, he will always get bad ratings from me. I just don't think that dropping the F-Bomb in every single sentence is the right way to win friends and enfluence people. In my book, he's a loser. And all because he can't seem to be able to speak in mixed company. What a shame. :P

Love you, Dan. (kiss) :hug::cat:

Hahaha :lol: :lol:

Wailo
Nov 18th, 2008, 05:10
granted, but can backfire, track repetition and IMO (and it's just that) less variety given current productions.
Not naming names, there are some shows that are outstanding and some that are just fillers.
Again just IMO but I prefer a set that entertains me, that I can distinguish from other mixes, that I want to replay and that maybe even opens my horizon in regards for other styles.

Agree with you 100% 90degrees, this is why I am a big fan of AH events, DJs with unbelievable variety in taste and style

JayCan
Nov 18th, 2008, 06:42
Replay of Markus Schulz? :mask:

so starting with a slow chill out tune and ending in psy, maybe with a progressive breaks track (NOT breakbeat) in the breakdown of the set (of which genre a lot of tracks contain trancey elements) and ending in psy would be a no-no, three out-of-line tracks too much?
I mean if it fits the flow and works overall for the set - why not?
Maybe just a tiny bit more disgression like 1-3 tracks or 25%/75% and the advice for the DJs to make sure that those work?
Just thoughts running about...

Nahh wasnt Schulz:P

You have missunderstood what i wanted to say....i meant that inbetween the set there can be alot variations in style but without the NoNos Dan said above....a set should NOT be the way that a DJ plays the styles not matching to AH and as an Alibi he plays 2 or 3 tracks from the general Trance styles, but exact this was very often in the past...DJs played sets they didnt match to AH and then played a few tracks just to say "i had Trance in my set "

got me ??:P:friends::friends::hug::)

willwatson
Nov 18th, 2008, 14:27
Perhaps introduce a poll on the thred like we aready have 'Appropriate' and 'Non-Appropriate' choices. More than a certain amount of 'Non' votes gets the show stripped. After all the listeners will be the ones voting and if theyre not happy with what they're hearing then the show should be stripped.

While there is a crack down in order i think a few shows should be put under investigation. I know these DJs are supporting AH by 'donating' monthly when they submit their shows but some of the shows on here are rubbish, bad mixing, track selections all over the place and (with schossows show) swearing. - Many people have told me they have tuned in and out pretty much straight away.

Swearing should not tollerable on a station that is available to all ages. If I run a record shop and wanted to broadcast AH in my shop. A DJ comes on an swears all over the shot my License would be stripped and AH would be placed under investigation from OffCom (or different bodies for different countries). This is an extreme case but swearing is not needed.

Just my two cents.

Dan
Nov 18th, 2008, 16:51
I agree with Will, this swearing has been addressed already, I think we came to a agreement and the swearing during that show and any shows wont be accepted on AH...

Your idea with the record shop, someone emailed me few months back saying they wanna broadcast AH in their indoor skating ring somewhere in USA, but due to this show he can't.

So once again i believe this issue is solved.

Raffi
Nov 18th, 2008, 17:34
AH.fm has been for trance music & must always be that way to save that style. It's been a great work Dan & all members are doing.
This station will always do well as long as it's controlled well. Swearing is not for us & doesn't suit us...we are known for our educated standards & decent character...
Long live trance & let it stay clean \o/

DeJoker
Nov 18th, 2008, 19:57
Uplifting Trance

piccoli
Nov 18th, 2008, 20:22
Uplifting Trance

i prefer call it just trance, pure trance:)

KasieX
Nov 18th, 2008, 20:41
This is a very usefull post. Thanks for the clarification. Good for DJs I guess but good for listeners, including myself, who now clearly knows what to expect.

And I think that it is very wise to allow for some exceptions, even if they are rare and specific. It's a bit like Wikipedia's rule "ignore all rules". I believe it is healthy for the future of AH.FM.

Laan
Nov 19th, 2008, 18:32
If you have problems interpretation what the exact style is, but you know it's a sub genre of trance and progressive, as long as you see the listeners are liking it, it is legal on AH.FM

Psytronic
Nov 20th, 2008, 22:46
if not many pepl want 2 listen 2 other genres then why the hell is schossows show packed with listeners?????????????????????????????

Dan
Nov 21st, 2008, 16:31
if not many pepl want 2 listen 2 other genres then why the hell is schossows show packed with listeners?????????????????????????????

I actually looked at last nites graph..

during schossow there is 250 drop...

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/815/20112008ua0.png

Laan
Nov 21st, 2008, 16:34

You should know also people are tuning in for exactly Schossow his style & Also the number of listeners depend a bit on the promotion of it.

malka
Nov 26th, 2008, 15:52
its a good idea, could be applicated to other forums..

[SuX] DeLuXe
Apr 3rd, 2010, 12:00
I dont agree, this station needs way more progressive house and also a little bit deephouse/techno etc. to keep things interesting here...
24/7 trance is a no-go for me absolutely. Love trance but theres more than that.

snoop
Apr 6th, 2010, 10:46
I prefered psy trance :dancing::)

sfbaldbear
Apr 6th, 2010, 18:59
I am a newbie to Trance and all I know is that I like what AH plays. I don't know what all of the different types of Trance are... can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Laan
Apr 8th, 2010, 17:33
Sure :)

Kinds of trance music:
Uplifting trance
Tech-trance
Progressive-trance
Progressive.

We are a station playing Trance, progressive and subgenres. However we play more trance than progressive I'll give you an exaplaination:

For example:

Sebastian Brandt or Manuel Le Saux: play trance music. Once the beats per minute are quite high and you hear floaty sounds we call it uplifting trance. that's the real trance music. Other than that is usually progressive-trance. ( in between:))

Markus Schulz: Plays progressive usually at start start. Later during his show he hops over to progressive-trance. But does never hit uplifting trance.

DJ SlanG with his show Silk Progrance is pure progressive music.

Check out shows of these Dj's and compare them. I hope this will help you to understand the genres a little.

Ronny K.
Apr 10th, 2010, 13:43
DeLuXe;1420438']I dont agree, this station needs way more progressive house and also a little bit deephouse/techno etc. to keep things interesting here...
24/7 trance is a no-go for me absolutely. Love trance but theres more than that.

Simple thing mate. If you want to listen other genres outside ah.fm format, you can tuned other station any time. I think Dan made this station for trance, cuz he loves trance. Im very glad he did it, cuz trance is still minority in the world. Yopu should appreciate he made this station for us.

And as i said all ppl who wants to listen to other music genres always can switch their player on another station with content they like.

Dan did and does great job with ah.fm and i can see how this station every months gets more listenners. So, imo this is the right way how this station goes :friends:

gizmo76
Apr 11th, 2010, 10:34
Simple thing mate. If you want to listen other genres outside ah.fm format, you can tuned other station any time. I think Dan made this station for trance, cuz he loves trance. Im very glad he did it, cuz trance is still minority in the world. Yopu should appreciate he made this station for us.

And as i said all ppl who wants to listen to other music genres always can switch their player on another station with content they like.

Dan did and does great job with ah.fm and i can see how this station every months gets more listenners. So, imo this is the right way how this station goes :friends:

AMEN to that Ronny! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Laan
Apr 15th, 2010, 12:38
DeLuXe;1420438']I dont agree, this station needs way more progressive house and also a little bit deephouse/techno etc. to keep things interesting here...
Of course there is more than that. And Personally I like techno too, but AH.FM is a home for trance and progressive. The community excists of ppl who like these genres. They would leave if we start playing Techno. A community is what keeps radio's alive. I think more progressive on this station would be ok. Not Techno.

Well Said :grinning:

Cyberio
Apr 19th, 2010, 20:41
"Neotrance"

What is Neotrance?
Example of productor, dj...

a'ndY
Apr 20th, 2010, 22:05

:iagree: and I'll drink to that

mysteria
Apr 21st, 2010, 01:33

I totally agree with you...there is a bit too much all-day trance. Where is the progressive I so long for? :(

Young Free
Sep 28th, 2010, 15:00
I probably should have looked at this thread long ago, but Dan sets it out nicely. There is often an uproar on the forums when a DJ plays something a little bit housey, either to start off or to mix it up, and I was under the impression that prog house was welcome, so I never understood the problem. I agree with most of the comments here - we are here for trance and progressive, but I love the variety and atmosphere that a DJ can create by mixing up the genres a bit, provided it is done well musically and stylistically. But I also agree that the sound can be a little monotonous at times, when so many shows are indistinguishable from one another. The variety can also help attract new listeners, since pure trance is not quite as accessible to most in North America. My favourites are the ones like Eric Allen's, that really mix it up.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6DjDNl_Gxaw9u7zJ3YjpIaxzRl6C584QjFcRyBHAP7_vtgPo&t=1&usg=__jyW4jkmkXx1nIvy_95urDdEYt7Q=

SUNNY TOMORROW
Sep 28th, 2010, 20:30
I probably should have looked at this thread long ago, but Dan sets it out nicely. There is often an uproar on the forums when a DJ plays something a little bit housey, either to start off or to mix it up, and I was under the impression that prog house was welcome, so I never understood the problem. I agree with most of the comments here - we are here for trance and progressive, but I love the variety and atmosphere that a DJ can create by mixing up the genres a bit, provided it is done well musically and stylistically. But I also agree that the sound can be a little monotonous at times, when so many shows are indistinguishable from one another. The variety can also help attract new listeners, since pure trance is not quite as accessible to most in North America. My favourites are the ones like Eric Allen's, that really mix it up.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6DjDNl_Gxaw9u7zJ3YjpIaxzRl6C584QjFcRyBHAP7_vtgPo&t=1&usg=__jyW4jkmkXx1nIvy_95urDdEYt7Q=

The reason many shows are indistinguishable from others is due purely to lazyness on the part of the djs imo. There are new tunes released each and every week and they all receive promos. There is plenty of new stuff to choose from. I know of djs with weekly shows on other stations who are just playing uplifting trance who never play what others are playing simply because they choose to look further than whats just infront of their noses:lol:

What hardly any of these djs seem to realise is this is not clubland. This is the internet where listeners are exposed to many djs who are often playing the same songs. The internet is a chance for them to show case something different from the rest. To show their true talent at choosing songs and playing an individual set. But is hardly ever the case sadly especially when it comes to uplifting trance.

Sergio_Daniel
Sep 30th, 2010, 19:31
What is Neotrance?
Example of productor, dj...
:iagree:neotrance????

SUNNY TOMORROW
Oct 1st, 2010, 03:45
:iagree:neotrance????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-trance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-trance)

Antonio Leone
Oct 2nd, 2010, 20:00
To comment on the techno thing, there is still some variety outside of trance, without abandoning trance altogether. This is exemplified well with Markus Schulz, Marcus Schössow, and probably some others. Schössow's show (say that 5 times quickly) usually seems to feature some tech/electro house and techno mixed with trance and progressive. Markus Schulz has often incorporated a few house tracks, and occasionally techno into his sets. The variety exists, even though there are no shows specifically for such genres. This is something I certainly would welcome more of, but I agree that shows specifically for house or techno just wouldn't belong at all. This is, after all, a trance station.

Hudsonbreak
Dec 18th, 2010, 19:09
let me give you my opinion of this discussion too. afterhours is the only one radio station which is linked to my pc, its the only station i listen, its the only station where i get my sets from for driving in my car etc.

the reason why i like afterhours is corse here is trance music in the main focus. im simply not interistet into techno, house or something else. im lucky with the situation here and i hope it never get changed!

Dan
Dec 18th, 2010, 23:55
let me give you my opinion of this discussion too. afterhours is the only one radio station which is linked to my pc, its the only station i listen, its the only station where i get my sets from for driving in my car etc.

the reason why i like afterhours is corse here is trance music in the main focus. im simply not interistet into techno, house or something else. im lucky with the situation here and i hope it never get changed!

Thank you for nice words mate, :choon::hug: it won't change :music:

enRu
Sep 5th, 2013, 22:57
Dan,

I like the amazing effort you have put in AH.FM.
I like that amazing trance DJs and trance sets are released via AH.FM, I have followed it for years and it is simply amazing the work done. However among the ones that are truly mixing trance, we have in the meantime 50% electro. I have no problem with Electro, but I do have a problem with labelling it as trance, while trance has a history of about 20 amazing years. Latest years has become more and more electro, I agree, but you claim to be nr1 in trance and progressive. I will not be supporter when I hear electro half of the time, misinforming newcomers what trance actually means, what trance is. We see that enough on labels....

I know very well you cannot check every set before it broadcasted, AH.FM is just doing amazing effort with amazing names, but this is getting quite absurd. In my personal opinion you will not win if changing to Electro and even stating it. You have proven to be a very strong Trance, uplifting, progressive radio. I'm considering AH.FM as one of the few amazing radios trying to keep trance legends alive, what it deserves. Endless thank you for that. That IS amazing!

This is however changing due to what we hear. I cannot decide what you do with it, however, you claim it to be nr1 in trance and progressive, can we please hear that? I'm no longer supporting until this gets fixed. Truly sorry. I like ANY kind of music, but my love for trance is so big I will not accept it to be "mis-labelled".

Dan
Sep 6th, 2013, 10:58
Hello mate, thank you for your message, this is a very vague genre topic, I have to agree with you that indeed the music style of Trance has changed in last years, more different melodies have merged, and naming it still Trance is the wrong path. These days it's DJs job to select the tracks that reflect their own style of play, yes few DJs have changed their styles and hence we had to the the precaution and remove them from the station.

It's very hard to keep sets 100% Trance these days, as tracks are labeled wrong on many different release sites, the core problem is that they are mislabeled, giving Trance genre a bad name to the new comers, making them think this is what Trance music really sounds like. We do our best here on grounds where we have control, to make sure the DJs we accept make Trance music/sets, this is the first thing we look at, if over time their style changed we notify them, reminding them that AH.FM is a Trance & Progressive station. We can't really tell anyone what to to play, it's their choice, AH.FM has world's biggest DJs, many of the names recently are moving back to the Trance sound that it used to be so I'm happy about that.

If there are any specific DJs which you or anyone reading this forum you think does not fit the station please email us info@afterhours.fm please bare in mind full privacy is in effect, your emails will be safe and not shared anywhere.

Thank you mate.

Vempele
Oct 28th, 2013, 12:44
In other words, we do not want:
Psytrance, goa

Shouldn't this be updated? Either psytrance is, in fact, okay (yay!) or Marcus Schössow is not the only exception to the style guide.

Katadunkass
Oct 29th, 2013, 11:18
Psytrance, goa

Awwww :(