PDA

View Full Version : Make forum register only?

Dan
Jun 20th, 2006, 03:01
I wanted your input on this, some people say make it register only and some say keep it the way it is to view and read threads... tell me what you think?

:P

Dan
Jun 20th, 2006, 07:04
:bump:

Dj Superior
Jun 20th, 2006, 15:30
I say register cause then the leechers will stay away and hopefully the forum will get more users also, not just guests :)

Marius
Jun 20th, 2006, 17:37
In time, the forum will get more users either way, but actually, i think more users will join if you leave it open to read. That way, people can have a look around and see what we're all about, and decide if they wanna sign up. People don't like to sign up before they know what they're signing up for.

My 0,02 $

Dan
Jun 20th, 2006, 19:12
thanks guys...
i need to hear everyones input
don be shy speak out

DreamensioN
Jun 21st, 2006, 01:09
In time, the forum will get more users either way, but actually, i think more users will join if you leave it open to read. That way, people can have a look around and see what we're all about, and decide if they wanna sign up. People don't like to sign up before they know what they're signing up for.

My 0,02 $

I agree with Marius. At the moment people can look and browse, and then create an account if they decide to be part of the community. If you "force" people to sign up...then 80% of visitors will put it into the "too hard" basket and won't bother.

In effect - we'll be shutting ourselves out.

jedrekmx
Jun 21st, 2006, 01:12
Leave it open. I would be less likely to join a site if it was register only. I know alot of people that would end up doing the same. I figure keep it open so that people have a choice. It will attract more people I figure!

XDR
Jun 22nd, 2006, 13:23
Leave it open. I would be less likely to join a site if it was register only. I know alot of people that would end up doing the same. I figure keep it open so that people have a choice. It will attract more people I figure!

+1

Register only would be a bad idea!

Dj Superior
Jun 22nd, 2006, 20:31
I agree with Marius. At the moment people can look and browse, and then create an account if they decide to be part of the community. If you "force" people to sign up...then 80% of visitors will put it into the "too hard" basket and won't bother.

In effect - we'll be shutting ourselves out.

you guys do have a good point there tho!

Jorda
Jun 23rd, 2006, 00:11
Keep it the way it is, therefore we will proceed to get more people joining instead. If you make everyone register only then we won't be seeing a lot of people because some people will just get too lazy to register.

Hands down, I think it's great the way it is. :)

GroBo
Jun 24th, 2006, 12:10
It doesn't matter if you make register only or not, the thing is people need to listen to the radio

djxtc25
Jun 25th, 2006, 07:05
I would like to leave it open until the listener base is up a bit more. You need people to know what afterhours is all about and what makes this station different from others. It also makes the DJ's here more accessible too. Guests can read up on what their favorite DJ is posting. Closing the forum like you suggested will drop the exposure with the search engines as well.

Cheers,

Vicky Wood
Jun 28th, 2006, 19:36
i agree, to keep it open for the meantime is a good thing.
could (i guess) restrict access to certain parts of the forum should it become necessary to unregistered people. but for now i say, if it aint broke, dont fix it

:D

Van Deka
Jun 28th, 2006, 20:07
i think u should keep general chat things open
but thats about it
that way itll attract people to join, and see what we have

Dan
Jun 28th, 2006, 20:11
thank you for the great feedback, i really appreciate it. If you have any suggestions please post, I want to do my best to make this community grow and play best music available. We all exclusive, exclusive sets only for and @ Afterhours. :)

thank you all for making this happen and helping out afterhours grow. Good things are on the way!

capris2060
Jul 26th, 2006, 02:28
i'm back and oh yes yes, leave it the way it is. some (lots) of people can't register onto this page (due to internet connection yada yada) but it's nice to see from other viewers what's going on

DJ_Jusha
Aug 13th, 2006, 21:24
leave it ...
and if there will be ever a special stuff witch you like to give only forum members you can limit that ...

M@rti
Aug 13th, 2006, 23:55
I agree with Marius too !!!! Keep it open.

AlexXdude
Aug 14th, 2006, 06:10
Keep it open, for all the reasons listed above :)

Dan
Aug 14th, 2006, 07:03
I havent seen marius around much.. anyone know where he is?

thank you all for feedback, it will stay open.

Acuario51
Aug 16th, 2006, 00:27
+ 1...Dan keep it open, itīs the best way to add more people to the community...! :)

D-rath-LA-
Aug 17th, 2006, 22:45

My 0,02 $

i agree

DJSparknuxx
Aug 20th, 2006, 19:56
I like the easy sign up. But some of these ppl are right. The more ppl on this site = more leechers. I'm in the middle.

electronicMeli
Dec 29th, 2007, 23:46
Leave it open! It's better to let the people decide if the want to register or not. If they "must" do it, then there might be a big chance to have lot's of zero-posters wandering around. ; )

robiejaegs
Jan 24th, 2008, 19:11
I agree leave it open!

Altered-Mind
Jan 25th, 2008, 04:32
Leave It Open!

Nuff said... ;)

A-M over and out

quest
Apr 18th, 2008, 13:34
I like it the way it is... At least, that's what attracted me to register ;)

Abominus
Apr 18th, 2008, 15:39
Keep it open but........

if we get too many lurkers and all then things have to be changed:unsure:

Exortius
Apr 18th, 2008, 15:44
I'd say leave it as is. Many listeners are casual and still love ah.fm. Maybe they don't want to take the time to register but they still very much enjoy reading. In time many of them will end up registering.

Chompie
Apr 18th, 2008, 17:26
Honestly, I'm indifferent to this matter. It can go either way for me. :smile2:

The Cat Lady
Dec 5th, 2008, 23:48
I agree with the majority. Leave it open so people can see what AH is about and decide to join or not. A totally closed forum would be like shopping for something and being unable to see the product or the price tag. How can you hope to buy under conditions like that?

If you can't see the product, in this case, the conversations that takes place on the forum, what people talk about, the personalities that hang out there, how could you know if you wanted to buy it?

If you can't see the price tag, in this case, the fact that it is User Supported via donations, and thus FREE to the Great Unwashed Masses, how can you decide if you can afford to buy it?

I see this kind of thing increasingly in stores all the time. The product is packaged so securely and locked down so tightly that you can't even look at it to determine if it will even vaguely meet your needs. And to make it worse, it's priceless. No price tag on the item itself, nor the shelf or hook that it is on. Even if I REALLY, REALLY think that I want it, if it's offered to me under those conditions, I turn my back and walk away. I obviously DON'T want to buy it from them.

Leaving it open gives an added bonus that you do NOT generally see in stores, Try-It-Before-You-Buy-It. It's how I joined. Someone told me about it and I came and listened and browsed the threads. Yeah. I liked it, so I joined. Granted, I didn't become ACTIVE until Certain Events occurred, but nonetheless, I joined because I was able to look at the Threads to get the overall "tone" of the Forum, which I liked very much, and because the music WAS/IS MY STYLE. If the Forum had been closed, my "shopping" visit here would have lasted all of 10 seconds, if that.

No. It's exactly perfect just the way that it is. :super::cat:

Tarek
Dec 6th, 2008, 00:38
Most of the time I join a forum because I am reading something and get an urge to respond. On extreme occasions I join because I KNOW exactly what it's about, or I'm already impressed.

In Ah.FM's case, I was already impressed, and I hadn't even seen the website yet (had a stream link I found..)

KasieX
Dec 6th, 2008, 19:47
Leave it open. For the same reasons as Cat Lady.

angel
Dec 7th, 2008, 01:10
Leave it open. For the same reasons as Cat Lady.

same here :)
go AH go :music:

Diane
Dec 7th, 2008, 14:59
guys... question was asked 2 years ago and they had their answers ... so no need to reply 2 years after imo ;)

90degrees
Dec 8th, 2008, 21:41
http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/438/rolleyesks0.gif
oh is it?
as it seems not, I tried to check just one thread today and was greeted by "no permission" and the log in box. tried a couple of other threads - just the same.
well, so I did log on and didn't mind but if this is how it will be, forums members only, it will backfire, a lot of lurkers who watch the threads and then when the right time/set/circumstance arrives they eventually sign up.
this opportunity is gone now and some peeps just won't bother and read somewhere else.
maybe some will sign up but still not post.
looks great on the members count but it's nothing but a statistic.
two german words spring to mind for which I don't have a translation - "Ausgrenzung" and "Karteileiche".

PhillipAlpha
Dec 9th, 2008, 04:35
keep certain areas "hidden" non-registered users can watch announcements and showthreads - for the rest they need to register?

Giedre
Dec 10th, 2008, 10:18
keep certain areas "hidden" non-registered users can watch announcements and showthreads - for the rest they need to register?
as far as am working with php based forum there's a possibility to make some topics only for users and some to leave for everybody. 50/50 :grinning:

JayCan
Jan 10th, 2009, 07:36
Hi

Leave it open!!!!!!!

If guests see the great community and how ppl do together here in a family way they may decide to join...if its register only ppl will stay away coz of thinking "elite-community" no thanks

piccoli
Jan 10th, 2009, 15:50
Hi

Leave it open!!!!!!!

If guests see the great community and how ppl do together here in a family way they may decide to join...if its register only ppl will stay away coz of thinking "elite-community" no thanks

:iagree:

i'm with you on that Jaycan:iagree:

angel
Jan 10th, 2009, 17:02
:iagree:

i'm with you on that Jaycan:iagree:

:iagree: maybe they will register.. for example in time of the EOYC was so many neeeew ppl here :smile:

and.. just wondering..
Currently Active Users (http://forum.ah.fm/online.php): 150 (44 members and 106 guests) <--- why they didnt register yet? :grinning2:

:loveah: and i like to be here with my other family :wink:

SUNNY TOMORROW
Jan 12th, 2009, 00:29
Very few people that actually register become regularly active on the forum. The amount of new people coming on the forums is very small and those that stay for very long even smaller. Each day you will see the same people posting on the forum and just once in a while somebody else becomes a regular active member too. But despite the substantial amount of members we have the vast majority who join have a look and then don't bother again if they ever did at all post. Maybe someway of encouraging them to post more could be devised. Don't know what that might be, but we could do with more people taking a more active part in the forums. Its pointless really as far as i can see in joining, telling us in the new peoples thread how wonderful the place is and then you never hear of them again.

SciLog1c
Jan 12th, 2009, 10:18
I've been thinking about registering for a VERY long time, cuz my english is so bad :grinning2:
I dont understand 50% of discussion, but its very nice here and friendly community :)
98% of ppl in my LAN are inactive, cuz of language barrier :yes:

ps
My vote for
leave it the way it is

:loveah:

t r a n c e a h o l i c
May 24th, 2009, 12:58
Part of Trance is about being welcoming to people who have a curiosity to the genre. Plus it's a nice teaser to get them to join, as implied in previous posts. Keep it open

Jiffy Pop
Jun 2nd, 2009, 01:41
Darn it i had a big long thing all typed up but took to long and timed myself out :wall:, so ill keep it shorter and a little sweeter.

Keep it the way it is! From my own experience i never would have found this place if a google search hadnt landed me in a AH.fm forum thread about local events in the Seattle Area (of which there are too few sadly).

when i finally started listening and then started following the 3YAMC thread, i was overwhelmed by the sense of community this site has and how well everyone treats one another, unlike many other forums ive seen in the past. when i finally took the plunge and registered and began to post everyone was very friendly and made me feel right at home, despite the fact that i know very little substantial info about the genre (only recently started listening to it as anything more than club dance music). Already i feel part of a community here, maybe the slow kid in class :lol: but a part nonetheless.

I think that by leaving the forums open you give people like me (who cant really learn about AH.FM at shows or by word of mouth) a chance to find this awesome place. As SUNNY TOMORROW pointed out, they might not be active posters an contributers, but leaving it open to everyone gives them the chance to be so at their own pace.

D_NeU
Jun 16th, 2009, 14:14
:iagree: maybe they will register.. for example in time of the EOYC was so many neeeew ppl here :smile:

and.. just wondering..
Currently Active Users (http://forum.ah.fm/online.php): 150 (44 members and 106 guests) <--- why they didnt register yet? :grinning2:

:loveah: and i like to be here with my other family :wink:

:yes::yes::yes::iagree:

OddSeed
May 16th, 2010, 06:49
It doesn't matter if you make register only or not, the thing is people need to listen to the radio

yeah!!