PDA

View Full Version : Should a DJ use classic's in his sets?

Pages : [1] 2

GroBo
Nov 6th, 2006, 14:37
Should a DJ use classic's (old good tracks) in his sets

XDR
Nov 6th, 2006, 14:49
Sure, why not? It's great to hear classics now and then. And new remixes of classics can be good too. You don't have to play oldies in your sets all the time, but when the mood is right for it, they can really lift your set :)

afka
Nov 6th, 2006, 14:56
Sure, why not? It's great to hear classics now and then. And new remixes of classics can be good too. You don't have to play oldies in your sets all the time, but when the mood is right for it, they can really lift your set :)

i totally agree with your explanation

Config
Nov 6th, 2006, 17:38
well, i do every show :), haven't heard any complaints about that :)

GroBo
Nov 6th, 2006, 19:22
I was just curious :)

ziustem
Nov 7th, 2006, 00:36
a big YES!!! right now I was listening to ASoT 200 tracks pack... all the tracks in the mix are superb classics...I'd play anytime any song from that playlist... and... I don't know, they remind me of long gone times :) ...ehhh, memories... anyway, YES, please DO USE classics in your sets guys! :)

Peter
Nov 7th, 2006, 02:10
as ziustem says! it's brings u memories :) so every once & a while it's not wrong too play an classic :super:

friTTe
Nov 7th, 2006, 16:34
:super:Yeah...i think its awesome when a golden oldie kicks in

Dan
Nov 7th, 2006, 18:10
yeah great old memories :)

VoRo
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:16
I think 1 classic/mix is really nice.. I don't like more than 1 though...

DeoX
Nov 8th, 2006, 14:32
Depend on what DJ I guess.

Synerje
Nov 8th, 2006, 22:06
Yup, i love hearing classics in live sets, gives me that nice warm feeling of recognizing a song everybody loves :)
Also like using classics myself every now and then, but they can be a bit difficult to play with some newer tunes...

djxtc25
Nov 9th, 2006, 10:53
I'm a really big fan of new + old. A lot of times us DJ's get tracks that are so new, nobody knows them yet with the exception of other DJs. You put classics in your mix, makes it go well with the regular Joe. Listen to Ep. 10 of Global Trance Sessions this Sunday ;) I've got a very nice mix of new + old in there.

dereklangold
Nov 12th, 2006, 00:14
Judging by the vote I'm on good ground when I agree

with Classics being used on mixes - when you come to

think about it the Dj's know what we want and nearly

always provide the goods, if they dont we drop them

and go on to another Dj, possibly, in my case they always

seem to provide what I want. Classics or new tracks as

long as they are great music no probs to me.

Cheers

hardermach
Nov 18th, 2006, 15:55
affcourse he must use classics
how older hoe golder do i say always

Laan
Nov 20th, 2006, 13:20
I personally voted for ''yes if its a remix'' becouse the quality and class of too old trance doesnt fits in between new trance. ( my opinion )

dereklangold
Nov 20th, 2006, 14:22
Classics - They are memory recallers and have a definite place

in some sets - I love them - times gone by - cant beat it, nostalgia

old loves and sometimes disappointments but normally the good

times.

Keep them coming.

cheers

DJ_Jusha
Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:29
yes defintly yes .... look at pvd ... he use always his great classics
and he's second times number one at top 100

Boxi
Nov 23rd, 2006, 19:22
i'd say yes, coz they are allways so good! and they allways brings back good memories and gets in a good mood ;)

Deej
Nov 25th, 2006, 02:07
I like remixes of classics. Then it gives you both a new and old feeling at the same time, it's great!

popey
Nov 27th, 2006, 19:11
Of course he should!! I mean people like Dj's because of the songs they have produced, lets use Tiesto for an example, his re-mix of Adagio for Strings is loved by everyone and Tiesto is know for that tune! So people would be dissapointed if he didnt play it in his sets!!

I think classics are wicked in a set as they get everyone going even more when they recognise a song!!

Laan
Dec 1st, 2006, 16:16
Of course he should!! I mean people like Dj's because of the songs they have produced, lets use Tiesto for an example, his re-mix of Adagio for Strings is loved by everyone and Tiesto is know for that tune! So people would be dissapointed if he didnt play it in his sets!!

I think classics are wicked in a set as they get everyone going even more when they recognise a song!!

I wasnt dissapointed at all last friday when he didnt play adagio in his set. Once you gotta leave tracks behind. Older tracks always pop up back in the set later on. And im glad about that. :)

dereklangold
Dec 1st, 2006, 17:44

I agree 100% with popey - right to the heart of the question.

cheers

panderon
Dec 2nd, 2006, 22:17
I think it all comes down to 'how the classics are used' rather than 'should I' use them. I've heard tons of sets that use classics that are horrible and DJ sets that never use classics and are always great.

IMO a classic is best used in a set when:

- There's enough meat left on the original to clearly identify it as a classic (minor changes)

- It plays long enough to enjoy it, but short enough to not hear the whole damn song. (I hate hearing classics that only play for 10 seconds, but def. don't need more than 45-60)

- It's played in its pure form to some extent, and then the DJ bridges the 'gap' with a remix, breathing in new life and taking it to the next level. The purests get to hear the track in it's original form, and the remix ensures the newer gen. isn't left behind.

And as for Tiesto's adagio, there are tracks that are toooo distinctive and must be used sparingly or altered enough in the remix to be tolerable. Adagio has been played enough that we all need to take a break from it, or hear a reeeally good remix (of the remix).

My $.02

-pand

Hanki
Jan 7th, 2007, 14:15
First of all - 'classics'

Secondly - it's up to the DJ.

krio
Jan 7th, 2007, 22:40
I think yeah, he should. Because it's always a fantastic feeling hearing a good older track. Personally I like classic trance tunes from 90's. So if it suits to set it's a good decision.

Stafler
Jan 12th, 2007, 17:05
Yeah, sometimes, but i prefer revamps.

Jorda
Jan 18th, 2007, 06:15
Why not? But I would use a new remix.

Jellyfish
Jan 18th, 2007, 22:55
Of courseee!!!!! Specially when u have a thousand people in front of u. It's the biggest connection dj-spectator, both are feeling themselves.

TheVrk
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:24
I dont have anything against classic at all, but i didnt vote cause i cant say
a DJ SHOULD play them.....i support the idea that a DJ can/should play WHATEVER HE
wants.
I dont like when people say what a DJ SHOULD play - its HIS set, let him send whatever
message or whatever feeling he wants....
We can say what we'd LIKE him to play, but not what he SHOULD play.

DreamensioN
Feb 11th, 2007, 09:27
YES - a DJ should use classics in their set...and more than one too!
A classic if done right - can sound as good today as it did when it first came out. I for one use many classics in my sets.

Laan
Feb 13th, 2007, 10:54
Yes classics. No not too old.

DjShy
Feb 13th, 2007, 20:27

Well.....If I'm not wrong.....OLD TUNE doesn't mean to be a bad tune, right?
So...there's only GOOD TUNEs........and BAD TUNEs........and the good ones....have no age, no space and no classification in time!

:hello:

Dual Progress
Feb 27th, 2007, 15:40
Classic's are great!

DistantLand
Mar 1st, 2007, 14:57
Well one or two classics and not the whole set.

Demon_X
Mar 3rd, 2007, 23:32
A DEFINATE YES!!!

because, let's say Bob tunes into a liveset, he's not gonna listen for long if he doesnt know any of the songs being mixed...so throw in a good oldie, and Bob will keep groovin to your mix

so thats my opinion...a washed up ex-ah dj trying to get back to the top...

yaper
Apr 1st, 2007, 12:38
Yes, of course... why not? Classics pump every party up :love:

topa20
Apr 15th, 2007, 11:50
it is good idea :) i agree

Solarized
May 19th, 2007, 22:35
Are always guarenteed to raise the roof, I love to hear them when out..

Lazarus
May 20th, 2007, 02:00
The right classic thrown in at the right time and have the perfect effect. However, I don't really believe in the whole philosophy of "you can't play that, it's too old" - to me there are just good tunes and not so good tunes. The secret is just putting them in the right order...

Classics nights annoy me though. Overkill on nostalgia only supports the ridiculous yet commonly held view that trance is something that happened a few years ago when personally I think the music now is even better than it was then!

GreyDog
May 20th, 2007, 07:24
YUM
Classics rule

Classic

Radical
May 22nd, 2007, 17:41
I love classics and prefer to play them when I feel it would go down well...but not too old classics like 2000...some tunes from 2003/04 are great and there aren't many great trance tunes around these days si I just can't do without some good old classics!
And the warm feeling I get...ah that's just awesome!!!:)

MsMeeshelle
Jul 2nd, 2007, 06:32
I say throw in one classic in a Live set ( Usually the people in the place go crazy!!!)

I like it hear a classic in a club becuase when that track was made ( i.e 2000, 2001) I wasnt 21 yet and Unable to attend events :( and hearing that track blasting in my ears at a club is once in a lifetime expeirence!:wow:

So yes One classic, and limit it too one!, too many in there and it gets old quick!:)

the bee
Jul 13th, 2007, 08:06
Classix are always good in a set, it makes people feel nostalgic and they usually can associate it with different experiences...which i dont know, seems like people like remembering their memories...
Too many wont work in my opinion, it should be a mixture, but really it depends on the crowd you have...
About remixes of classix, again it depends, some remixes are nothing to be compared with the original classix so again its up to the dj to read his crowd..

minc
Jul 28th, 2007, 17:34
ya i think the good classics should be incorporated... sometimes there is a great remix... some songs are timeless...

Luconia
Jul 31st, 2007, 02:36
yes, why not? perfect for ending an euphoric set with a uplifting theme.

chop
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:38
yes but not like adagio for strings! huheuhe

Illusion
Aug 5th, 2007, 09:57
Voted for: Yes, regular.

It's not because a track is few years old that I can' t be played anymore..

xruntime
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:08
Always. Classics are simply too good to be forgotten by DJs. These songs are amazing masterpieces, and to avoid using them in your sets takes away so much from the mix.

@RANGE
Aug 19th, 2007, 18:07
Always. Classics are simply too good to be forgotten by DJs. These songs are amazing masterpieces, and to avoid using them in your sets takes away so much from the mix.
Yes, I agree with you. There are a lot of cool classic tracks that forgetting them wouldn't be very good. I like to play some classics in my sets but not too old ones :P :)

djFlux
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:29
I play them... just to see the crowds reactions and as a tribute to the old school.

bluedemon
Aug 20th, 2007, 17:02
Yes cause its awesome when a DJ plays a classic and you think, oh man this track is awesome I got to find it and listen to it again. You forget a lot of the old track as new ones come out, so I think its nice. :)

xruntime
Aug 26th, 2007, 15:13
In fact, I think that a DJ shouldn't stop at one classic of the week. I would regularly play them in your sets. Personally, I could care less to hear the latest tunes, there are a multitude of shows that already do that, and those shows generally involve enduring an hour or two of mediocre trance. A show that plays several classics would be much more enjoyable...that's part of the reason why the majority of my music library is older tracks.

fnx
Aug 30th, 2007, 04:01
yes .. u know what they say .. oldies but goldies ;)

Afterstyle
Sep 16th, 2007, 06:36
IF they are "the good ones" yeah, but not if it's some crappy old sh!t ^^

electronicMeli
Oct 23rd, 2007, 15:13
If he want's to use classic's why not? There are songs which are timeless and can be played over and over again. ; )

djabstraction
Oct 23rd, 2007, 19:55
If he want's to use classic's why not? There are songs which are timeless and can be played over and over again. ; )

Exactly, I think if we were to ignore the classics, then there is not much point in making anything new! To just ignore all the amazing tracks that have been made in the past would be rediculous, it would be a real shame for dance music if DJs just played all the latest tracks.

:P:P:P

Sweety
Oct 30th, 2007, 10:02
I always play 1 maybe 2 old good tunes ! or remixes :)

ramballo
Oct 31st, 2007, 14:19
me myself since a do 2 hour set a month i try to put 2 to 3,, classic define this music in a way take you back to those day and just like electronicMeli said some are timeless

thats why Oceanlab - Clear blue Water(ferrys remix) is my favourite classic and is very timeless for me Armin van burren knws that since ASOT 320 and my request :lovers: :lol:

fritz the fox
Nov 5th, 2007, 17:33
classics is what makes a set great

dfx
Nov 5th, 2007, 19:29
i like to use classics a lot, because i tend to have much more passionate feelings towards them. when i'm in full throttle spinning, those old tracks push my emotions up high, and i want to share that with my listeners, so i end up playing classics :)

jedrekmx
Nov 6th, 2007, 16:46
It's a tough call because classics are classics for a reason. I would to say that if they are not over played and a DJ throws in a few in to their set, then definately I say thumbs up to using them.

T R A N C E
Nov 19th, 2007, 23:03
always great to hear classics :)

Deadlyeight
Nov 26th, 2007, 20:13
I say if the song fits into the mix, lyrical or just melody wise, then by all means you should use it!

and who doesn't go off the hook when the DJ drops one of your favorite classics

Annich
Nov 29th, 2007, 21:52
Classic's are great and should never be forgotten!

Altered-Mind
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:57
100% Yes! :super::yes::yes::yes:

George Vemag
Dec 2nd, 2007, 21:30
I have started doing that since I joined AH.FM, the new home that hosts me and my radioshow...

I think playing one clasik tune gives the set a "color" of memories as each track may mean a lot to the audience, parties they have been and had a great time and not only...

So a big YES from me too :)

Vicky Wood
Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:22
I do every now and then, like today for example! :P

Dj Row
Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:11
big YES

krisvandrinken
Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:19
I think yes but not so often ... I like when dj remind me good old track's but to many isn't good :) :P

xruntime
Dec 3rd, 2007, 21:52
no way! as much as you can put in a set while still getting in some new stuff

dfx
Dec 4th, 2007, 09:05
since this thread remains so active, i'm going to reverse the original question:

why should a dj NOT use classics in a set?!

xruntime
Dec 4th, 2007, 22:49
"why should a dj NOT use classics in a set?!"

Because hes stupid

Khartago
Dec 5th, 2007, 02:36
A big YES!! That reminds everytime of good old days:)

DJ_Yeah
Dec 5th, 2007, 13:58
I'm always like to put classic tracks in my sets

Chris Harrington
Dec 7th, 2007, 06:09
For me when im DJing its about playing good tracks not about following the trends and playing whats hot at that time. I play what i like. If its a new track great, if its 10 yrs old thats fine too. If its good music i will play it. Simple as that reallu.

killem
Dec 10th, 2007, 01:52
I think that Djs must do that ! :D but 1 in the mix is enough :)

Neil Bamford
Dec 10th, 2007, 17:38
classics fit so well. just as long as its one or 2, remixed or not. just because its been played before doesnt mean it shouldnt be played again. they are called classics for a reason, because they spank clubbers across dance floors!!

djabstraction
Dec 12th, 2007, 21:22
classics fit so well. just as long as its one or 2, remixed or not. just because its been played before doesnt mean it shouldnt be played again. they are called classics for a reason, because they spank clubbers across dance floors!!

well said! :iagree:

The Cat Lady
Dec 16th, 2007, 08:12
2004 was a very good year. That was the year I began to listen to Trance and that was the beginning of my liberation. Trance set me free and saved my life. Olden is golden. There's no getting around that. :cat:

RavrEddie
Dec 20th, 2007, 15:50
Yes of course it brings a bit of nostalgia to the music and can really get people going

Djs-Only
Jan 5th, 2008, 04:50
Yes DEFO the crowd love it :grinning:

90degrees
Jan 5th, 2008, 12:40
play classics - absolutely, love the girls going wild (not only Mary) also sometimes unavoidable with some annually recurring remixes.

As seen and heard in EOYC it is quite refreshing as well to have a full-on classic set in da mix

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/6352/musicsmiley014ex6.gif

HanselV
Jan 19th, 2008, 15:05
Sure! I love classics:)

Exortius
Apr 3rd, 2008, 21:34
Classics can really get your heart pumping like no other. A new hit with a great beat will move your body, but a real classic will move your soul. One or two in the set is good for me.

Roheight
Apr 28th, 2008, 20:02
Gief classics...next classic event on Ah.fm must be even moren classic...lets say tunes up to 2000 :D

Janet
Apr 29th, 2008, 01:33
Old classics is a must! In my opinion it helps to change up a set, creates a mood and in some cases reminds us of its brilliance that has made it a classic :)

Project Afire
May 14th, 2008, 21:23
It's all about good/great music, so why shouldn't the DJs play classics in their sets? They are called classics for some reason...

I give a great detail to the tracklist, to the storytelling, how the set flows from the first track to the last one, if the next music has some kind of connection with the previous one, etc. If a track has 1 or 10 years, I couldn't care less, as long as it fits nicely in my set, I'm ok with it. :P

scrammbledeggs
May 14th, 2008, 23:34
hell yes. theres nothing better than hearing a classic being blended in to a current track in a club. even more so if the dj in question is playing one of his self produced classics and seeing his reaction to the reaction he gets from the crowd on their realisation of what is comming next.

its the unexpected gem, the goosebumps, the dancing extra hard just because you know exactly what is comming.

man i need to go clubbing. lol

Faruk S.
May 15th, 2008, 16:06
it really depends on the croud but i really enjoy playing some ''gone but not forgotten'' tracks in my live shows or regular sets

JayCan
May 15th, 2008, 18:59
heya

i think a classic is fine way to show ( hear ) what way Trance Musik has done from then to now and its allways a good to have a "good old memorys " part in a set :mml:

marco18
May 15th, 2008, 20:17
heya

i think a classic is fine way to show ( hear ) what way Trance Musik has done from then to now and its allways a good to have a "good old memorys " part in a set :mml:

:iagree:, but ofcourse not in a way with the aim to compare/contrast for example 'how bad' tracks were in history and 'how good' nowadays. But I'm sure that's also not what you mean! :grinning:

It's also nice to set old tracks in the spotlights which never have been there before :lol:.

There's too many trance/house to know all by everyone, also from before 2005, so there's enough variability possible:mask:

But ofcourse not every set has to be filled with oldies, it can be more i.m.o.

Summary: Yes, it's nice to have (not well known) old tunes in a set, but if you want to use them, use them in a good way, with respect for the founders of Trance :grinning:

habs11
Aug 18th, 2008, 03:59
Some classics, yes. Generally though, no.

Back in the day, I hated seeing Galaxia on so many mixes after I'd already heard it a million times when discovering it on the first couple of mixes that I heard it on.

Great song? One of my favourites. Classic? Yes. Do I think it should be on an already incredible mix, sometimes bringing in the insanely unique feel of another mix, one of which does not fit in the current one?

Not always, to say the least.

hotrednailpolish
Aug 27th, 2008, 14:47
why the henry not...if it fits then who cares RrrrrrRrright !?!!?

Woozya
Aug 31st, 2008, 15:05
Yes, it will be really good
cause there are many amazing classic tunes in trance music
I think we didn't hear many of them
And when Dj plays old good track it is very speccial

Fino1
Sep 5th, 2008, 19:56
A don't mind hearing classics in a set ' but a wouldn't wanna hear to many played in a set . hate when djs kayin the shit out of classics' im not saying it a bad think to hear classics drop now then it good to think the memories etc...

Vale
Jan 10th, 2009, 14:03

Always. :smile:

Well it doesn't really matter what tracks you play - thats all about being a DJ at the end of the day! :-)

angel
Jan 22nd, 2009, 14:54
sure! im happy when i hear something classic :) a classic always makes me :wub: and im flying back in that time when i heard it first time :)

DarranBartley
Jan 23rd, 2009, 19:47
I agree with statements saying the DJ "can" use classics rather than "should" use classics.

In my opinion, if I'm mixing I love to drop a classic or 2 as long as they last the tst of time, some songs sound dated and don't fit in well, but many tracks still sound good when standing up to newer (possibly improved with extra years of production knowledge?) tracks.

I saw Ferry Corsten at Gatecrasher's 15th birthday last September and he was playing some classics, I remember Moonman - Galaxia and the Violin Edit of System F - Out Of The Blue and they worked an absolute treat and fitted perfectly into his set!

chrisros88
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:55
Yes. I havent heard any classic tiesto masterpieces on AH and i would really love to!