PDA

View Full Version : New DJ Competition

Pages : [1] 2

Vicky Wood
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:17
Hello all,

The previous Dj Competition has been discontinued as of January 1st 2009 & in the short-term we have no plans for it to return. It is possible however it may return at some point in the future.

Watch this space for News and Updates :grinning2:

BassT4ken
Nov 27th, 2007, 21:00
Very very very good idea !! Now I must buy CDJ because I only have mixer and Virtual dj...

Dj Superior
Nov 27th, 2007, 23:53
Great thing here! Lets hope there is some unrevealed talent out there :D

And hope there will be many participants :)

jedrekmx
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:49
This should be very interesting. Who knows, maybe the next Armin van Buuren or DJ Tiesto will be discovered! Best wishes and kind regards to all the contestants that do take part.

krio
Nov 28th, 2007, 14:18
A competition which shows the real skills of mixing and (in a way) plaing live but without any audience. A radio DJ contest resembling DJ championchips. Good venture.

Bryan Summerville
Nov 29th, 2007, 00:13
nice idea - also will take part of it

Ccelson
Nov 29th, 2007, 23:27
Will be neat to hear some of these, I like the restrictions of either turntables or CDJ's. Sall about skill and determination. :)

ramballo
Nov 30th, 2007, 14:14
Will be neat to hear some of these, I like the restrictions of either turntables or CDJ's. Sall about skill and determination. :)

Agreed ^^^^^^^^^

I have CDJ's but am still in the learning process,, tryin to take skill off the computer :music:

Laan
Nov 30th, 2007, 16:39
Upload your submissions!

DeppaKai
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:00
can we upload a set already? i have been only mixing for just under a year but it would be good to see how i stack up!
By the way, I love afterhours.fm, i cant believe its run out of my city! :wow::wow::wow:

Vicky Wood
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:05
can we upload a set already? i have been only mixing for just under a year but it would be good to see how i stack up!
By the way, I love afterhours.fm, i cant believe its run out of my city! :wow::wow::wow:

yes....check here for December's Competition

http://forum.ah.fm/contests-ah-fm/8594-01-12-2007-december-contest.html

krolik
Dec 2nd, 2007, 16:40
I recorded electronic set on djm600 & 2x cdj800 :P
and sent to mail :)

dfx
Dec 2nd, 2007, 16:44
very good, let's keep em coming :)

DJ [IN]Head-Kay
Dec 6th, 2007, 19:56
I love this ! Am gonna go record my set right away ! Is it okay if it was more to the house side of things ? I mean not dark house, but regular tech / tribal / electro house ? Cheerz !

dfx
Dec 6th, 2007, 20:23
well, basically anything you could possibly hear on ah.fm should be fine. theres not much regular house here, progressive a bit more. in any case, it's worth a try.

krolik
Dec 7th, 2007, 01:14
only trance & progressive :)

krisvandrinken
Dec 7th, 2007, 15:34
This idea is very interested and I can't wait who win :) :P

Synectic
Dec 8th, 2007, 16:59
good idea for cd's and vinyl users

a'ndY
Dec 9th, 2007, 01:52
Will participate... next month :)

Dj Armalite
Dec 10th, 2007, 14:36
Uploading my set right now. Will be submitting it within today :)

Its good to see only Vinyl and CDJs are allowed; the djs can now show their skills properly!

:choon:

Aerotek
Dec 24th, 2007, 03:56
It's good indeed to make hardware competitions only, but I can only use my pc for mixing right now... I have just 11 vinyls and no cdj stuff :S

cdman14
Dec 25th, 2007, 14:32
i would love to participate, but i do not have the equipment. I can only use my computer for these kind of mixes, software like virtual DJ. but this is againsta the rules...

90degrees
Dec 27th, 2007, 14:49
...adjusting the overall volume...

that'll be normalisation then?
nothing else like compression I understand!?!
but I can still use stuff like EFX 500 in the mix or is setup purely decks and mixer and nada mas?

dfx
Dec 27th, 2007, 15:02
normalization, compression, clipping, limiting etc are all ok, as long as its done equally on the whole set and doesnt alter the perceived sound.

any other hardware gear you have is ok too, such as send/return fx stuff. it just has to used "live" while mixing, not applied afterwards in any way.

90degrees
Dec 27th, 2007, 15:22
thanks for the finer details, much appreciated. :grinning:

Klaar
Jan 4th, 2008, 00:39
This is a great idea... I essentially signed up just to a be a part haha. Just waiting for some new tracks to finish downloading (paid for them of course) and I'll start on my set. Out of curiosity, how many submissions were there last month?

dfx
Jan 4th, 2008, 02:05
last month we had 9 submissions, which is quite a nice number. the rules for how often a certain dj can submit sets are still not completely worked out, so watch out for updates regarding that.

BenParker
Jan 9th, 2008, 13:37
i would love to participate, but i do not have the equipment. I can only use my computer for these kind of mixes, software like virtual DJ. but this is againsta the rules...

Yeah this is a shame. Because i'd love to enter this, but I only have Ableton and no hardware. :(

dfx
Jan 9th, 2008, 16:10
maybe we can have special contest months, in which we allow software mixed sets only, ableton, traktor, vdj and all that. maybe next month? :)

willwatson
Jan 16th, 2008, 05:30
** No post-processing of the recording whatsoever is allowed, with the exception of basic things like adjusting the volume (as a whole) or trimming the ends. The set must be recorded in one piece and the recording must sound exactly as the DJ themselves could hear it while recording/mixing it.

Am I to assume this means we cannot add afterhours jingles? :mask:

Vicky Wood
Jan 16th, 2008, 09:07
Am I to assume this means we cannot add afterhours jingles? :mask:

id suggest not, just upload the mp3 without any jingles

Sense
Jan 19th, 2008, 02:33
Ableton still not supported?

Vicky Wood
Jan 24th, 2008, 20:49
Ableton still not supported?

Its possible that there will be a software competition at some point in the near future, keep checking back for more details

Sense
Jan 25th, 2008, 07:27
Ok. But software competition mean using more effects and some tips in mix. I don't think that DJs will do it in their shows.:hmmm:

Klaar
Jan 27th, 2008, 20:13
Albeton is becoming more popular even with big names in shows. I've seen many DJ around here using it in combination with their decks. Of course they dont use Albeton only and some DJ's refuse to use it haha, but I wouldn't say that software is non-existant from live shows. And even at that, some DJ's load on the effects so heavy that it wouldn't even matter if it was software enhanced lol. Just my .02 (canadian)

BenParker
Feb 1st, 2008, 14:51
Well I look forward to whenever there is a competition allowing for the use of Ableton, as I will be able to enter it!

willwatson
Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:46
Ive only seen ableton used live with 'live pa' Ottaviani uses Ableton when he does his Live Production.

I think DJing (going from track to track) with ableton is cheating... my personal opinion

I did start to use ableton but DJing as a whole lost its scare factor/being on edge (will i **** up?) and therefore became abit of a bore.

a'ndY
Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:43
I think DJing (going from track to track) with ableton is cheating... my personal opinion

I did start to use ableton but DJing as a whole lost its scare factor/being on edge (will i **** up?) and therefore became abit of a bore.

I agree with you, in case the DJ uses it just for "beatmatching" and doesn't make use of any other features Ableton has.

So I guess that "mixing and technical skill" will be replaced by "creativity". In case someone just plays one track after the other and does a little bit of EQing, he gets zero points here. I mean, anyone can make nice transitions with Ableton. This would force the DJs to be more creative, using loops, using only certain parts of a track, maybe even make live mashups, things like that.

Just my 2 cents, now the Ableton users can kill me :cat:

(yes I know that the cat doesn't make any sense here, but I always wanted to use it somewhere)

xruntime
Feb 3rd, 2008, 19:56
I dont care for anything fancy that DJs do - if you play good music, and it flows nicely then your job is done...no need for crazy fx, mash ups, cut ups, or anything like that

a'ndY
Feb 3rd, 2008, 20:39
I dont care for anything fancy that DJs do - if you play good music, and it flows nicely then your job is done...no need for crazy fx, mash ups, cut ups, or anything like that

Yeah, but it's way easier to make a nice set with ableton than with CDJs or TTs. I just think that it's a bit unfair to judge an ableton set by the same criteria as a set made with CDJs or TTs.

Case
Feb 17th, 2008, 10:20
The culture DJing becomes far from an ideal. It seems, that in the near future people will use only one computers during mixing/play. Though computer/digital systems of processing make sound more attractive, process turns from initial to data of loops or cuts, imposing of effects with prepared presets, that seriously changes all technics of data incorporated on years. Progress is inevitable, but the choice all remains for you;)

albertus
Feb 18th, 2008, 02:43
Am I allowed to use Serato ScratchLIVE (via timecode-vinyl) to play digital releases in a "hardware-only" contest? I do not have CD players, so that would be great, as more and more great tunes are not being released on vinyl at all any more :(

dfx
Feb 18th, 2008, 03:01
Am I allowed to use Serato ScratchLIVE (via timecode-vinyl) to play digital releases in a "hardware-only" contest? I do not have CD players, so that would be great, as more and more great tunes are not being released on vinyl at all any more :(

yes most definitely, serato/final scratch is fine :)

albertus
Feb 26th, 2008, 00:58
I'm having a suggestion to make.

As a DJ requires feedback (as stated e.g. in the Livesets board), and as the staff members listen to all the participating livesets, I would appreciate very much to have a few words as feedback from the jury. In fact, they are listening to anonymized files, so feedback will be anonymous as well, and only the "distributor" of the files will know which feedback to send to which participiant afterwards.

I think it would be great to see the jury's votes (anonymized from the other side, as well, i.e., without names of the particular staff members, of course) and maybe some additional comments... would you regard this possible?

a'ndY
Feb 26th, 2008, 20:54
I second that :grinning:

dfx
Feb 26th, 2008, 22:15
I'm having a suggestion to make.

As a DJ requires feedback (as stated e.g. in the Livesets board), and as the staff members listen to all the participating livesets, I would appreciate very much to have a few words as feedback from the jury. In fact, they are listening to anonymized files, so feedback will be anonymous as well, and only the "distributor" of the files will know which feedback to send to which participiant afterwards.

I think it would be great to see the jury's votes (anonymized from the other side, as well, i.e., without names of the particular staff members, of course) and maybe some additional comments... would you regard this possible?

should be doable... we'll try to come up with a way that works best for all for next month, for this month we can post some of the votes/comments once the voting is over.

BassT4ken
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:36
Is allowed to mix with Virtual DJ (software) with a mixer ??

dfx
Feb 27th, 2008, 15:03
Is allowed to mix with Virtual DJ (software) with a mixer ??

with current rules, it won't be in a month with a regular (hardware only) contest.

the response to this month's call for software sets was far less than expected, only a handful of software sets came in and the majority still was done with hardware, so it's still uncertain what will happen to this rule...

BassT4ken
Feb 27th, 2008, 19:22
with current rules, it won't be in a month with a regular (hardware only) contest.

the response to this month's call for software sets was far less than expected, only a handful of software sets came in and the majority still was done with hardware, so it's still uncertain what will happen to this rule...

hmm, i could be one more, awaiting my cd decks in few months maybe...

Klaar
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:21
Interesting indeed but its cool to see that people are sticking with their tables

Exhale
Feb 28th, 2008, 09:37
It'd be great if you allow software mixes next month again...
I've read general rules, made a mix and found out that software was allowed only when I was posting it. My fault, of course, but still I'd like to make another one next month and it'll definitely be software if it's allowed :bounce: :mml:

Thanks.

xander2v2
Mar 5th, 2008, 21:59
I would also like to submit a mix this month but can only use software, has any decision been made about this month,?

Vicky Wood
Mar 5th, 2008, 22:02
I would also like to submit a mix this month but can only use software, has any decision been made about this month,?

yes you can find it in the March thread:

http://forum.ah.fm/contests-ah-fm/9914-01-03-08-14-03-08-march-dj-contest.html

czips
Apr 1st, 2008, 16:29
I will also take a part in, probably in April 2008 :)

dfx
May 7th, 2008, 17:10
updated the rules a bit. added the clause for software mixed sets in, also added details about hardware fx devices and put the 10-set limit in.

Viper^
Jun 5th, 2008, 22:35
Record my set soon, going to give it a bash. When is the closing date?

Toma
Jul 15th, 2008, 15:54
I will be submitting for the August Contest....bring on the energy!!! :mml:

JeffreySource
Jul 19th, 2008, 00:20
Ah boy... Mine is 57 minutes and 8 seconds? Not qualified right?

dfx
Jul 19th, 2008, 07:09

nope sorry, 58-62 only.

djabstraction
Jul 24th, 2008, 20:45

get a nice intro of some waves and some philosophical discussion going on to make it upto the right time ;)

Viper^
Jul 25th, 2008, 13:37
Is 59 Mins 41 Seconds qualified demo?

dfx
Jul 25th, 2008, 13:44
Is 59 Mins 41 Seconds qualified demo?

yes thats fine, everything >=58 and <62 is ok.

Viper^
Jul 25th, 2008, 13:48
Just checking with guildlines before send of my mix off at start august. Can't wait my first entry on AH.FM. Very exciting, good luck to everyone this month and next month.

Thanks dfx

:super:

MarcEau
Jul 31st, 2008, 10:51
I was reading the rules for the dj contest. Is there a limit of 10 tracks in the set? My set has 12 tracks and takes approximatley 61:30 min. Does it qualify?

dfx
Jul 31st, 2008, 12:08
I was reading the rules for the dj contest. Is there a limit of 10 tracks in the set? My set has 12 tracks and takes approximatley 61:30 min. Does it qualify?

yes thats perfectly fine :)

dfx
Aug 1st, 2008, 12:34
Please note that there have been two slight additions to the competition rules! In particular, the first rule has been changed and the respective note at the bottom added. Please read before submitting!

MarcEau
Aug 1st, 2008, 14:36
Hey dfx. Why the change in rules with the 2 months registration? Newbies not allowed to submit yet?:cry:

dfx
Aug 1st, 2008, 16:23
Hey dfx. Why the change in rules with the 2 months registration? Newbies not allowed to submit yet?:cry:

because the number of submissions did greatly increase lately (especially in software months), so we have to make a preference towards long-term members of the community :)

albertus
Aug 1st, 2008, 16:33
Too bad, this cuts me out as well. Good luck to any further participiants!

dfx
Aug 1st, 2008, 16:53
Too bad, this cuts me out as well. Good luck to any further participiants!

"Join Date: Sep 2007"

?

albertus
Aug 1st, 2008, 17:01
It's the other change: I'm spinning for an online radio. For fun, not for profession, but anyway this is mentioned in the new restrictions.

JeffreySource
Aug 1st, 2008, 22:40
*Post to see join date...*
w00h00t! june 2008 ....

QUALIFIES!!!!!!!
See ya on the voting :P

blue_7
Aug 2nd, 2008, 14:01
What if i dont know the track label??

t4e
Aug 2nd, 2008, 14:19
What if i dont know the track label??

where you purchased the track from will have the Label under which was released :)

Joshua_Avalon
Jan 10th, 2009, 06:38
Is Januarys full yet? I finally have something to submit.......

dfx
Jan 10th, 2009, 06:41
theres no contest in january, and no more contests in the old form

t4e
Jan 15th, 2009, 18:24
please read first post as it has been changed :smile:

Junior
Jan 16th, 2009, 01:23
hehe, i am putting a new set together, will submitt it on the nex competition.:)

Altered-Mind
Jan 16th, 2009, 07:08
Hello all,

The previous Dj Competition has been discontinued as of January 1st, but a new one is being developed.

Watch this space for News and Updates :grinning2:

:fishing::music:

Jacob Pajor
Jan 29th, 2009, 15:50
is gonna be so great! :friends::bravo:

FredAcler
Jan 29th, 2009, 16:10
Is there any information coming soon? :) I would really lika to participate!! :music:

t4e
Jan 30th, 2009, 00:12
Is there any information coming soon? :) I would really lika to participate!! :music:

not yet, as the first posts says "just watch this space" as soon as we have the new system in place we will posts it. :grinning2:

FredAcler
Jan 30th, 2009, 10:20
not yet, as the first posts says "just watch this space" as soon as we have the new system in place we will posts it. :grinning2:

Great!! I will stare at that space ;)*hehe*:music:

t4e
Feb 2nd, 2009, 14:32
Great!! I will stare at that space ;)*hehe*:music:

who blinks first looses :ee:

FredAcler
Feb 5th, 2009, 14:57
who blinks first looses :ee:

Haha, I'm still staring :wink::bananadance:

DJCesar
Feb 14th, 2009, 17:18
I want to participate... :)

Junior
Feb 16th, 2009, 09:22
is there a competition anytime soon?:grinning2: i have my tracklist ready to get mixed up as soon as competition starts, all i can say its massive uplifting madness!:):muahaha:

Sabi
Feb 16th, 2009, 19:17
Whaaaaaaaaat...there was competition every month????

and i just found about it...haaaaaaaaaaa :cry::yikes::yawn:

no more talking...start spiiiiiiiiiiiiin

Robin
Feb 17th, 2009, 00:29
is there a competition anytime soon?:grinning2: i have my tracklist ready to get mixed up as soon as competition starts, all i can say its massive uplifting madness!:):muahaha:

I guess there will be some Paul Miller tracks in it, or am I wrong:P

Jacob Pajor
Feb 17th, 2009, 22:50
:bravo::bravo::bravo:In the next month please!:bravo: :bravo::bravo:

Junior
Feb 18th, 2009, 04:46
I guess there will be some Paul Miller tracks in it, or am I wrong:P
hehe. just one:ee:
saving the for an all Paul Miller set when i find my time:ee:

also i already have 2 sets done, one is on the dj's/producers corner called

trance_fan pres. Junior - Vital Sounds 1:ee:

BassT4ken
Feb 26th, 2009, 01:06
Some news here ?

kawarshinovitch
Mar 9th, 2009, 15:33
i just can't wait
i've started starring in that space for along time right now :music:

Words of a Winner :wink:

Junior
Mar 10th, 2009, 02:33
waiting on the competition still :grinning2:

NoXxX
Mar 22nd, 2009, 23:13
also still waiting for competition!)

t4e
Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:35
i can understand your eagerness guys, but we're trying to get a more automated system that seems to be a bit more work than anticipated :)

kawarshinovitch
Mar 24th, 2009, 02:38
ok
we can wait :D

The Cat Lady
Mar 28th, 2009, 07:42
i can understand your eagerness guys, but we're trying to get a more automated system that seems to be a bit more work than anticipated :)

How in the world is it possible to automate a DJ contest? :blink::cat:

Junior
Mar 28th, 2009, 22:43
i will wait as long as i can. already won one competition. i will go for more. :)

albertus
Apr 7th, 2009, 16:30
How in the world is it possible to automate a DJ contest? :blink::cat:

Let me guess: Automated upload for participants, nice overview and downloads section for the Jury, web form to vote and comment on the sets, etc. Use your imagination :)