I've searched through the forums and know this has been asked before, however, to each his own.
It is approaching the three year mark that I have been turned on to EDM, specifically Trance, and I really like what I hear. Monkey hear, monkey do: I've become interested in learning the art of DJing myself. However, the sky is the limit and there's so much to learn that I don't know where to start. I don't know what a turntable or an equalizer does. I don't know the pros and cons of using vinyl or cd's or mp3's. As far as I know, the only difference between House and Trance is BPM.
I'm a 16 year old male currently in High School. I live in North East USA. I plan to work with trance / progressive. I guess I'd start out mixing songs together [I just discovered the monthly DJ contest today - I plan to enter that someday
] and gradually, with time and experience, move on to creating my own works.
What I need to know and need help with is:
- What the difference is between genres [which is harder to work with and why, etc.]
- Difference between mixing Vinyl / Cd's / Mp3
- Does software play any other role besides recording? I have FL Studio 8 xxl edition. Is this sufficient or would I need to buy a different one? And is a keyboard [not a computer keyboard] a must-have?
- Basics on how to start out [Tips & Tricks]
- Basics on what I need to do to start making a set to submit to the DJ contest [Do I have to change anything to the track or just select the part I want and fuse it together with the rest?]
- Suggestions and recommendations on which equipment to get [Which is essential; those which aren't required but may improve performance and how] based on limited capital.
I have most of your facebooks already
*Any and all help is greatly appreciated.*