New to this: Want a good starter mixing computer program

glowstick314

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys. Well, after really just listening to a lot of good tunes, i wanted to start making my own mixes. and by that i mean, start by taking songs and putting them together to make a giant mix, and eventually make my own remixes. What I was hoping to find was a good program which I can use to help me make these mixes. Id need something that i can obviously blend two tracks together (end of one, beginning of another) so that it has flow, and something that i can mod the music just a bit (throw in my own sounds such as names, copy and repeat sections of songs etc). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was just getting ready to post a thread like this! I have pretty much the identical question. I tried "Virtual DJ studio". It was pretty good, but it's only a 20 day trial. Could some of the kind folks here recommend some good computer programs, as well as any other mixing/general tips for newbies? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

best one for beginners is probably virtual dj. there's also the various flavors of mixmeister around, which can be used to do more "automated" mixes. another popular one is traktor, which is a bit more on the professional side...

now remixing tracks is a completely different thing, this requires more sophisticated tools such as ableton or cubase...

...start by taking songs and putting them together to make a giant mix...

if Live is out of reach try the free TrakAxPC (sorry, no Mac).

and this is how to use it.
YouTube - trakAxPC - DJ Set (Free Music Mixing Software)

now remixing tracks is a completely different thing, this requires more sophisticated tools such as ableton or cubase...
depends, i know wizards who can do that with Audacity (yup, does Apples as well). :mask:

Edit:
\/ unimportant detail...:ee, well, start saving...

or maybe you find something here
DJs - software for Mac

Last edited:
depends, i know wizards who can do that with Audacity (yup, does Apples as well). :mask:

to my understanding, if you do something with audacity, you wouldn't call it a "remix", but rather an "edit". that's just a detail tho...

Deckadance is what ive been toying with recently just getting my feet wet...
literally it was less than 4 months ago i started with teh keyboard and mouse on deckadance..
using hotkeys, its quite fun. but i have no hardware aside fromkeyboard and mouse lol

I think you first need to decide if you are going to mix with a mixer or just use software.

I mixed with a mixer and used Virtual DJ.

Now I make my mixes with MixMeister. I think it is much easier to make good transitions and you don't have to start over when you make a mistake at the end of your set :p

You can download a free demo of the program here

and you don't have to start over when you make a mistake at the end of your set :p
But that is part of the fun :grinning2:, also not to get it always perfect :grinning2::grinning2:

But that is part of the fun :grinning2:, also not to get it always perfect :grinning2::grinning2:

You have not seen me when I mixed A Trip To Heaven 002 with my mixer :p

Was a 2 hour episode. Last transition went wrong. Believe me, I was

:yucky: :angry: :chair: :wall: :wacko: :beat: :thumbsdown: :bad:​

Hehe well got experience of that too :). Also when Audacity which I use for recording used to crash at the point where I finished mixing and clicked stop button. And that used to happen 2 or 3 times / 2h set :lol:

If you record into Ableton Live, you can easily go back just to that point and re-record from there to fix the error, without having to redo the whole thing.
smiley2423.gif

And in the event it crashes, the work is recoverable.

Not that I would ever make a mistake in a two-hour set :whistle: :bully:

I thought of this thread after I managed to tangle my headphone cable among the volume faders while recording :bully:

will need to redo that part :lol::lol:

Last edited:
I thought of this thread after I managed to tangle my headphone cabe among the volume faders while recording :bully:

will need to redo that part :lol::lol:
Hehe, that happened sometimes to me too with my old mixer :)

Back