New to Trance and AH - couple questions

rabbit-hole

Registered
Reaction score
im posting this here and not the noobie thread above because im hoping for more input. im new to trance/progressive and i am wondering what the average cycle is for new music is. ive been listening non-stop for about 3 months and have a handful of amazing tracks that ive received from your torrent system, however, recently, it seems everytime i tune into your live station im hearing the same stuff. its awesome, i mean its hard to easily get sick of a trance track, but i need new stuff! i dont mean for this to come off as a completely idiotic question, only because im aware of the fact that there are ARCHIVES full of this music that could keep me busy for the next year, and not to mention i could follow one of my favorite current artist(s) - however im more concerned about how often a DJ typically creates public tracks and whats the average half life of an old. does the same thing get mixed over and over again until its broken? im just looking for a little overhead here. dont kill me!

also a big :grinning: to this music. its helped my work and i honestly couldnt have completed/met my recent deadlines if it wasnt for it. so <3

I think your best bet is to roam the beatport/audiojelly sites and search by new releases or as u suggested above latch onto a favourite artist and get their back catalog, of course you can preview the tracks so you get an idea what they're like.

just to point out the AH torrent system only has sets that are broadcast here, and no individual tracks are available through it.

well, the amount of new, fresh stuff is quite limited really. or let me rephrase - the amount of good new stuff is quite limited. there's a dozen of new releases each week and day, but the vast majority of them are rather crappy and thus not really playable.

additionally, each dj always tries to pick the best tunes around, and there are only that many of them around, so many djs will end up playing the same tunes. what makes things worse is that whatever ends up on ASOT is usually considered great and will be played by everyone.

or, on the other hand, some djs don't seem to be aware of what is being played by others and thus aren't aware of whether a tune is already overplayed or not.

personally i have a hard time picking enough (fresh) tunes for my monthly show that satisfy both criteria: good and not overplayed.

Hello there,

We have roughly 10 new shows each day, of course some of the shows will have similar tracks as dfx outlined they don't know or can't keep track of what others are playing. This is a difficult task, however they are doing a great job, also I dont know if you look at titles but we do alot of replays for the djs in off hours, so many thats why your hearing the same music.

Glad it helps you work better, thanks for support.

oh well already some forum members posted above some ideas but here is mine as well : if you want to have a review of new fresh tunes you can also sign to label newsletters so you will have a monthly email with all the upcoming tunes you can review them :grinning:

To be honest I can't quite imagine what it would be like to discover trance as a genre now - suffice to say there is more than enough material both current and classic to keep anyone occupied for a lifetime!

What I'd suggest would be to get an understanding of the "classic" trance by finding a few mixes from various DJs containing "classics". At least from here you'll be able to appreciate how the genre came to be at the situation it's in today :grinning: It also means that you'll probably save a good lot of time by avoiding the 80% or so of classic trance that was rubbish at the time and is little more than an embarrassment now! (Not mentioning any names....)

The other way to find your way through the vast trance catalogue would be to document the tunes you hear which you like best, and find out who the producer is. Then go searching at Discogs to find out everything that producer has done down the years and go from there. About 10 years ago, the majority of trance was made by a handful of producers, but now there are far too many to count, and much more variety to choose from.

Once you have an idea of the producers you like, track down their other tunes, or mixes with those tunes in, and you'll find more stuff in a similar vein, and from there...well...from there your journey in trance begins :music:

I'm loathe to suggest specific names to anyone when they ask me about trance, because musical taste is a very personal thing - one man's wine is another man's poison after all :) Besides, the searching for music you like through all of the stuff you don't like, for me at least, is half the fun! :lol:

amazing feedback, thanks!

to be honest, Lazarus, i used to despise the music. but we are all growing through states and stages right? it was a slow transition into it but im glad it happened. before i learned to enjoy the music, i would only hear the "thump thump thump" of the base and say how completely redundant that sound was.. etc.. etc.. im more into the progressive pieces - the euphoric parts.

anyway, so who makes the tracks then? dfx, you sift through music already made and mixed to play at your shows? or do you take that music and remix it? where does the original music come from? and how do you know how much its been mixed? sort of like a message being passed from person to person, you lose parts of the message the more and more you pass it along..

thanks to the rest, these questions are probably completely idiotic to you, but w/e :)

Subscribe to labels on Beatport and Junodownload. Anjunabeats, Armada, Vandit and all sub-labels are great to start with. You get an email as soon as there's some new track released. And of course listen to A State of Trance and Dance Department to get the newest of the newest....

amazing feedback, thanks!

to be honest, Lazarus, i used to despise the music. but we are all growing through states and stages right? it was a slow transition into it but im glad it happened. before i learned to enjoy the music, i would only hear the "thump thump thump" of the base and say how completely redundant that sound was.. etc.. etc.. im more into the progressive pieces - the euphoric parts.

anyway, so who makes the tracks then? dfx, you sift through music already made and mixed to play at your shows? or do you take that music and remix it? where does the original music come from? and how do you know how much its been mixed? sort of like a message being passed from person to person, you lose parts of the message the more and more you pass it along..

thanks to the rest, these questions are probably completely idiotic to you, but w/e :)

i identify the tracks for my mixes this way:i listen some shows here so i know what kind of tracks got played,then in the web you can search for other tracks,not from too much known producers or just the opposite,generally the known producers gets more played in shows,so, many djs uses singles from producers not that famous as others but which at the same time are good tracks...well,that´s my opinion:)

Remixes are quite difficult to make, original tracks comes from pc softwares that producer uses and that stuff, the shows usually uses tracks already done,althought there are some people who do a live performance,that means they produces the track as if they were a band,but usually in a radio station the djs uses done tracks and even his own productions..i hope you get my point:grinning:

Last edited:
About the tracks time:
For me trance tracks doesn´t die at all,it depends on how often they got played,for example: if the track gets played a lot in two months,i can assure you that people will get tired of it, it happened with a track called "big sky" and "anthem", i have never heard that tracks again in any show,but maybe in the future someone will play it at one time,so people may say,wow this track was cool,but for listening one more time is ok,and no more:lol:

ok so youre just transitioning already made tracks together? that is yet another piece to this - learning to transition the right music to create a constant consistent flow?

ok so you´re just transitioning already made tracks together? that is yet another piece to this - learning to transition the right music to create a constant consistent flow?
yes:)

the flow depends on the dj,the music makes the rest:grinning:

Back