(Trance) Music as a phenomenon.

Paradoxem

Registered
Reaction score
Just a little something I wrote in an essay not so long ago.. It describes music (I had trance on my mind when I wrote this) and how it effects us. Thought I would share this with you :)

Music can too many people act as a refuge from the outside world. Their own little cocoon, consisting of a surrounding atmosphere that only music can create.
The scenario is that I, after a long exhausting school day, where I after the last few hours with my last effort, as an almost sleeping zombie, am going back home, towards freedom. The computer is switched on, the music put on and the volume turned up, and after a split sec most problems, my tiredness and everything else is forgotten. I am alone at home and will in the next little while "only" be able to enjoy me and my music's presence, and nothing else. It fills my thoughts and my awareness with melodies and sounds that leads me to think of little else than the music.
Usually, it is trance that has this effect on me, which is also one of the main reasons why I admired this genre so much, as it in so many ways is extremely far from pop(and other genres) and what it implies. I therefore believe that it can tell something about who I am and my identity.

Music can get people to use their hard-earned money on perishable experiences, though they will perhaps always be imprinted in their minds, and bring people together from near and far and get them reunited with each other in a tribute to the music. It has an ability to arouse people, make them sad, make them aggressive, make them happy and even put people in an ecstasy of trance some would say.
Music can be used to illustrate, enhance or affect people to be in a particular mood, and it can also break the ice by removing the akward situation it can be to meet new people. It is an essential thing to a party, where the silence and the ice is broken, and we slowly begin to feel the party mood come obsequious. How many other legal means in our world possess such power?

In many ways, we therefore need the music. It increases the joy of our lives, whether it is with just the slightest, it makes the perhaps grey day slightly more fun and entertaining when we need it. It is something that through my 17 ½-year-long life has stood by my side, and something I hope it will continue to do. It is a companion I personally would suffer great loss from by loosing, since it is a free pleasure we at any time, in any mood and in any company can find a joy in. It is an universal language all cultures and all people can understand and can take into use.

"What is good music?" one might ask, after which I would reply that of course it's a definition, like so much else here in life, but this is completely subordinate, as the music is to be considered as a phenomenon and not a matter of taste, language, culture, ethnic origin, political or, for that matter, religious beliefs, as it is raised way above such things

Make music not war.

:music:

Paradoxem out

Last edited:
that is a great essay, and in many ways reflects my feelings about music too :)...trance in particular...and yes, it can put one in "an ecstasy of trance"
most tracks will "transport" me to a different world, some make me think of horses running freely on a beach (not because is offbeat :tongue:), some will make me think of a beautiful sunset and so on, i always have a scenery that i associate with a particular track...music is personal taste and IMHO is meant to feed and sooth our soul :)

Thanks mate.. Exactly ! I know what you mean ;)

Back