Why did you start listen to trance?

radoxx

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys :)

Just wanted to know why you all started listen to trance.
Were there any key-moments or did you just like the beats?

Tell us :D

As you know, I'm 18 years old. I was 8 years old when a good friends's brother and i listened to some CDs on his new stereo. I don't know the name of the CD and Track but i really liked it.
The next weeks / months and years i started recognizing that music's not just music as heard on the radio, in fact there are many different styles. Suddenly i liked some tracks more then the others and i asked myself, whether there is a certain name for what I listen to and so i found out that it's called Techno (i found out that Trance is the correct word about a year later) so i asked for Techno-Songs but hardly anyone of my friends could help me, actually most of them didn't even know that something like "Techno" exists.

The first CD I've bought, and i will never forget this :), was Future Trance Vol. 14 in the year 2000

Amazon.de: Future Trance Vol. 14: Various: Musik

There were 2 tracks that really touched my heart (k, i was 10. i didnt touched my heart but i REALLY liked them :grinning:)

Paul van Dyk - We're alive
Tiesto - Silence (which is one of the best Trance tracks EVER made)

These 2 songs, especially "Silence", were the catalyst for me to say "I listen to trance!"

The years came and passed, and so did the music:

Mauro Picotto, ATB, Bomfunk MC's (okay thats not trance but the song is really cool :mask:), Benny Benassi (what is also not trance, It's trash, but I'm very open minded to all those styles), Armin van Buuren...

All those were big names for me - but noone but me and my closest 2 friends knew them :(

I started to feel like a freak. I couln't talk to anyone @ school (secondary modern - Hauptschule) about music (best friends were in other schools). I didn't knew names of pop-songs, i didn't like what all the others listened too... It was a horrible time for me. Many classmates didn't know what to talk about with me (i had other interrests that otheres hadn't) and so they started to segregate me...

As people get more tolerant the older they grow (and after midlife crisis more intolerant :)), people started talking to me more often and suddenly they showed interrest in what I was doing. They asked me the name of songs and the name of the genre... (what doesn't mean they liked it ;) )

After secondary modern I went to a higher technical School at the age of 14 (HTL, austrian school type for technical education), where i found people that had the same taste in music that i had. I loved it. The first time in my life i felt like belonging to a bigger group and not being alone.

In the following 4 years my taste for music really developed.

About a year ago one of my best friends asked me, wheather i already know afterhours.fm, what i answered in the negative. Thies night we sat toghether, playing online games (so what? i like them ^^) and listened to ah.fm - and that's how i got AHdiccted ;)

I signed up here and I really love being here!

Thx EVERYONE for giving me a place in the internet that i proudly call my "musical homeland" :music:

So thats my story how i got involved with trance and afterhours.fm

And now it's YOUR turn! Tell us your story! (and forgive me possible grammer/writing and sense mistakes: It's quarter to 4 in the morning and the only thing that keeps me awake is music and maybe a little bit of Red Bull, but mostly music :p)

gn8 everyone! :hug: :music:

Last edited:
Just developed an immediate connection after hearing the soundtrack on Wipeout on PS1 :lol: and when I was about 9-10 my cousin gave me some promo CD's from "raves" he went to.

Music scholarship at highschool got me into producing a bit, which is where I developed my true appreciation for trance. Shortly thereafter got into DJing.

I've just been hot for synthesizers since I can remember. Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Depeche Mode - pretty much from then onward really! Trance as we'd refer to it today came along around 1991/2-ish and I've never looked back :music:

i love the euphoric, hypnotic sounds trance music can produce. not only thru synthesizers but also basslines, kicks, virtual reality-ish sound effects :cat:

now that i mention it, i used to always remember listening to the need for speed 2 for ps1 main menu goa song :choon::choon:

u can never go wrong with EDM and racing video games :driver:

edit: here is a youtube link to that very choon :super:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OQZzY9rObA&feature=related

Last edited:
now that i mention it, i used to always remember listening to the need for speed 2 for ps1 main menu goa song :choon:

Yeah, now i remember that song :) i also used to listen to it. I never bought the full version, i played a demo of NFS2 on the ps1... :p

Last edited:
My first album with electronic music was 'Movin' Melodies" by ATB with huge remix 9PM by Signum. It was in 1999 I think. Then, few months later my friend gave me Tunnel Trance Force 24 and I think this was the main reason that I am listening to trance nowadays ;)
I remember also my first "professional" trance album - it was ATB - The DJ In The Mix vol. 1 (incl. Chicane - Daylight, Schiller - Liebe, Jushi - Requiem, Darren Tate & Jono Grant - Nocturnal Creatures...)
Why I did start listen to trance? I don't know.

1998 I had a roomate who had his own decks
w/ speakers through out house and outside:drunk:
party2.gif

Went to some shows with him in the city,loved the scene!

Been ahddicted ever since:bow:

I've always liked what was considered "techno" in the 90's... there wasn't a whole lot of clear definition back in the day about what the individual electronica genres were. I started out with alot of Prodigy, I loved Fat of the Land. I guess what got me into trance was just looking through different songs and seeing the songs I liked being qualified as trance...

I've just been hot for synthesizers since I can remember. Pet Shop Boys, New Order, Depeche Mode - pretty much from then onward really! Trance as we'd refer to it today came along around 1991/2-ish and I've never looked back :music:

Same here...

The "electronic" Pop was the start for EDM in general and the kids like us from the 80s are ispired of these sounds...

the rest can be read in my social group or on my my space page :p:lol::lol:

Ahah after have hear many many genres of music (Pop rock, rock, hard rock, jazz, jazz rock electro, rap....) i discover trance during the year 2006 with Armin and his fabulous ASOT, and atm the dream continue :super:

Same here...

The "electronic" Pop was the start for EDM in general and the kids like us from the 80s are ispired of these sounds...

the rest can be read in my social group or on my my space page :p:lol::lol:

I remember being maybe 6 years old listening to billy idol's Rebel Yell... there's some great synthesizer music in there... and Tears for Fears... all those great songs... lol even Men Without Hats... "We Can Dance" lol I mean it's sort of cheezy but it's still what got synthesized music to evolve and now we've got great stuff!

The first Wipeout game had some awesome techno, the game's track was made by ColdStorage http://www.coldstorage.org.uk/ I still listen to that in my car :)

Last edited:
I was surfing around the radio really late one night and discovered a show that was playing, at the time, what I thought was some of the coolest music ever. This was back in 99 and nowadays it would be considered really more pop than electronic but I think we all started there lol. I was just lucky to have the net so I could go things like filesharing and MSN friends from other countries to help me figure out how to find out more about it. Through some independent Web sites and even Digitally Imported I finally figured out my favorite style was called trance and just been hooked since then.

Good question radoxx.

Well it all started for me back in my freshman year in high school(1998). My good friends came across some trance tracks and shared it with my friend and I. It was "ATB - 9PM Till I Come". I was wowed from hearing something other than rock or rap.

So as the time went on, I went on a "Mission". haha. I went out and looked for nothing but Trance! So from there out on, I did not look back at all.

I love hearing Trance 24/7! I have to listen to Trance while im at home, working, working out, driving, taking a shower and cleaning around the house!

I just can't get enough of these great MUSIK!!

the Energy!
good answer.

unfortunately many tracks and sets don't bring any energy these days. recently i was pointed to an article in an online magazine in which a well-known producer and DJ writes (excerpt from a longer article):

Nowadays after a transition into club-trance, slower but still powerful, we have moved to a new phase which I like to call “home listening trance”. Technology has given access to production to many fresh talents, a lot of which as young as 15! Fantastic! But the contact to the dance floor has been lost, the new wave of producer is born as a home-listening generation and while the average quality of music is infinitely superior that energetic feeling is missing. Breakdowns are dominated by wonderful atmospheres and complex layers of sound but…where’s the energy? Where are the bigroom build ups (who remembers Arrakis - the spice?) That made you go “wow!” when the bassdrum actually came in? Resistance was futile…you had to feel the energy!

which is quite true i think. (and he's isn't talking about SvD-style "buildups", btw)

good answer.

unfortunately many tracks and sets don't bring any energy these days. recently i was pointed to an article in an online magazine in which a well-known producer and DJ writes (excerpt from a longer article):
I think it's true. There is difference between home-trance and club-trance. In a club I don't like breakdowns, cause you can't dance. But at home the breakdowns are relaxing and sometimes I just imagine something inspired by the melody in the breakdown. And the goosebumps are not necessary in the clubs :mask:

According to the main question, I started my "trance" carreer with Scooter - Back in the UK in the age 13-14. Later I watched VIVA television a lot, so I started to listen Blank&Jones, Ayla, Brooklyn Bounce, ATB etc. In the gym I usually heard Dream Dance, Tunnel Trance Force compilations.
Later I became a CD set from a friend, with Tiesto's Innercity mix. I think that was the biggest influence on my favour.

I have been listening to almost every genre of music during different periods of my life (including punk, gangsta rap and death metal :choon:), but i finally sticked to trance because...

... this is the only genre which is capable of changing positively my mood just by listening to it and furthermore it is the only genre which I can actually "feel" in physical way (like goose bumps, etc.). Amazing.

I have been listening to almost every genre of music during different periods of my life (including punk, gangsta rap and death metal :choon:), but i finally sticked to trance because...

... this is the only genre which is capable of changing positively my mood just by listening to it and furthermore it is the only genre which I can actually "feel" in physical way (like goose bumps, etc.). Amazing.

that was an amazing change from death metal to trance, waw, welcome to light side lol:)

Really interesting subject :D

My story is really crazy too :)

When I was 8 or 9 years old, my father was really fan of Jean Michel Jarre... I loved it and listened his compilations so it's a beginning of my trance influence (with the synth ;) ).

After that, when I was 12 or 13 years old (was in 2000), I listened to everything (rock, hip hop, trance) but trance was the only kind of music I bought some CDs like Darude, Tiesto or an old TOP 100 Trance. I was really fan of Darude ^^

14 years old, black period, I listen to trance (ATB, Tiesto...) but I became really fan of nu metal with some bands like Rammstein, P.O.D, Papa Roach, and then, few years later, some Emocore or Screamo (I already liked emotion music :D). I listened 90% of that and 10% trance maybe.

So 4 years later, I get definately fan of EDM, but which EDM ? Jumpstyle because I began to go in the clubs and It was the kind of music I prefer... But, happily, I rapidly got into trance again, and especially, dance like Lasgo, Milk Inc, Sylver ^^ That was in May or June 2006.

I finished secondary school and so went to high school where I met 2 friends (that I already know a bit before but I didn't really speak a lot with them), fan of trance. I told them I really like this kind of music and they gave me a set of Armin Van Buuren at Trance Energy 2006. And, that was the moment I really fell in love with TRANCE music. Arctic Quest - Renaissance, Simon Patterson - Us, that's 2 tracks I remember a lot \o/

19th September 2006, first trance event for me with Armin Van Buuren, Markus Schulz... Trance definately enter in my life !!!

Since that moment, I did a lot of trance events, it's a necessity for me, a reason to live \o/ ! A moment to feel an unity :) So, I did Trance Energy 2007 and 2008, some Armin Only, some Tiesto's gigs, Luminosity at The Beach, Full On Ferry, some Tomorrowland... I have maybe 14, 15 trance events in 2 years.

I started to listen Afterhours in march or april 2007 ;) The best webradio for me :)

And now ? now, I'm becoming a DJ/Producer and I really want to get into the scene one day ;)
I'm part of a belgian community too where I make some interviews and a lot of different things.

Why I listen to trance so ?

Because this kind of music is unique !! The audience still poor but that's because trance has to be understood, has to be lived, has to be feeled... Nowadays, It really helps me to have a smile on my face every moment, I love my life more now than before and It's because I become fan of trance :)
I feel these breakdowns, basslines, acids, that's a great sensation :D

To answer some people here, I really feel the energy in a trance event, especially at Trance Energy where there are only fans and you can feel the unity... I'm OK to say that there are some tourists at trance parties but there still a lot of people, dancing and living the trance music until 7 AM (Full On Ferry is an example). And, I can see a lot of young people now, enjoying, jumping hands in air and staying until the end where the mood is the best...
With Be-Dance, we were 30 to Armin Only in Belgium, we are all living for trance and we feel that music so sometimes, I don't appreciate when it said that the contact has been lost with the dancefloor. I listened 9 or 10 hours trance a day but I do 9, 10 trance events a year so i can't considered me as a home listener. That's just I want to listen my fav music, the one I live for now...

Lastly, I'm not really agree with More83... Breakdowns are great in a club. I don't go in a trance club just to listen and dance, meet girls, id est. I go in a trance club to live that music with some friends and get an amazing moment with the DJs... Breakdowns are really important and, no you don't dance on it, you just feel it and imagine. An then, the kicks and the bassline come back and it's an energy & emotion downpour at same time. A sensation I'll nearly kill to live :) (3rd degrees) ^^

That is my opinion ;)

And you ?

It this same me ... I was strted with rock, heavy metal, death metal and ghotic rock and metal sounds... This was change when I was in gymnasium. Then I start listening dance music. In later time I was bored. In high scool I start listening hand's up but this was to much commercial for me and I was search the new sound's. And that's was begin my adventure with trancy sounds which continues to this day. :)

Back