Software Mixing

Do you think using software to create sets constitutes the artist as a 'DJ' ?

• Yes

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Depends (on Various Reasons..please explain)

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Dont particularly care - trance is trance whichever medium it is created in

Votes: 15 22.1%

• Total voters

SentriX

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there folks.

Had a conversaation earlier and this subject rose up out of it so i thought it would make a good poll to see what the masses think and maybe change some peoples views along the way :)

Please vote honestly - there is no answer unless its an honest one :music:

Last edited:
For the record I voted yes:

here is my reason and im using the exact same reason i said in the conversation:

Djing is about delivering the music to the masses - giving them a piece of yourself in the set you create it doesnt matter how its put together its all about the final product

YES....but i wish i had the choice to vote "Dont particularly care - trance is trance whichever medium it is created in"...cause the final product as Sentrix said is what matters most...you can sweat it off on hardware and pick the wrong tracks...so what...i'll listen to the set that gives me the most enjoyment?

It's all about the Muzik

Cdj's vs Turntables ? Turntables vs program ?

i think it does'nt matter, the end result is whats important...
I just listened to victorias set, i'm nearly 100% sure it was mixed by program. (sorry if it wasn't)

But it was a damned fine set.. Not perfect, but highly pleasing..
Armin records most of asot with ableton, i think i read that somewhere..

It's whats produced in the end, which is all that matters.

It's all about the Muzik

I just listened to victorias set, i'm nearly 100% sure it was mixed by program. (sorry if it wasn't)

he sure does lol..but try telling his fans he is not a DJ...and for that matter there are more big names that use software from time to time :)

i voted "depends" as there's several different definition of what a DJ is.

on one side there's people that play songs on (non-EDM) radio stations, pop, charts stuff, metal or whatever. also there's people that play at weddings or whatever, general entertainers. those are generally called DJs too, even though they're not capable of creating an EDM DJ set.

then there's EDM DJs, who do all the beatmatching stuff etc. but there's also different flavors of those. generally they put together songs to create a set. this can be done with software or not. a subset of those are also capable of working with hardware, doing the manual beatmatching and all that. those are generally the DJs that are capable to play in a club. (ok you can play in a club with a laptop too, but the point is having the skill of manual beatmatching etc).

so it's all a matter of defintion, hence "depends".

It's all about the Muzik

As far as i know Vicky does use software but based on tonights set it doesnt even need explaining that it was on fire...one of the best i have ever heard from her

So i guess it can lead to the question "What classes a dj a dj"

Strictly speaking from its abreviation its a disc jokey but look at radio DJs now a days who uses programs to que and fade music etc. Another example of software usage

As far as i know Vicky does use software but based on tonights set it doesnt even need explaining that it was on fire...one of the best i have ever heard from her

Exactly !
I heard tunes which were mixed, uplifting and she was on fire..

Goes down as a dj in my books :)

there is no single definition. if you talk about a DJ in the sense of being able to create good sounding sets, then the answer is YES. if you talk about a DJ in the sense of being able to play in a club with just some records or CDs, then the answer is NO.

"A disc jockey (also known as DJ or deejay) is a person who selects and plays recorded music for an audience."

Disc jockey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've been to a club in belfast called "shine"
(alot of progressive and tech stuff is payed there, good club)

The dj was mixing entirely from his laptop..
The dancefloor was pumping :super:
U gotta stick with the times, and computers are as much the future as they are the present.

I think using a "program" to mix "live" to an audience, would therefore enable the person to be called a "DJ".

Re: Do you think using software to create sets constitutes the artist as a 'DJ' ?

technically no (that's how I voted) as there is not disc jockeying involved, except for a hard disk to which you have no physical contact at all.

However, it still constitutes the maker as an artist, for expressing a tonal journey.

Having said that, not all who put together a set with software or hardware for that matter are artists.

which concludes my point of view that your chosen medium doesn't matter as long as you can captivate people with your results.

Note:
no pretention or elitism expressed or used in creating this post

Edit:
hardware controlled software will be my way to go soonish, haven't used vinyl for ages and why still burn onto CDs?

Last edited:
there is no denying that hardware takes a lot more skill to get it right...the point is that software is not as easy to use as some think...if you want a good set, beatmached properly you still have to do some "homework" and prepare it...you don't just load the tracks and hit MIX, you could but than will be total crap.

there is no denying that hardware takes a lot more skill to get it right...

i wouldn't even say that it takes more skill, i'd rather say it requires a different skill. i know DJs who have ever only played with vinyl, and hence don't know how to work a CDJ at all and thus also wouldn't know how to use VDJ or Ableton or anything like that. it's just a different thing.

other than that i agree - anyone can use software to make a set, but it will still sound crap if you don't know what you're doing.

rectified

why's there 0 NO votes then? :p

site didn't do posting and ticking the vote box at once...forgot there were different boxes to tick
*can't decide on pratical and appropiate but non-offensive smiley from the new AH-Autumn-Smiley- Collection"

When the term "dj" was created, im sure cd's weren't invented...
So that might imply that using even cd's would probably not constitute to u being named a "dj"
But nowadays you're classed as a dj when u use cdj's.

u dont have to beatmatch to mix. (unless of course there's a beat in both tunes)

Did the dj's of by-gone years have trance ? techno ?

Shoot, they prolly didnt have many tunes that even had beats in them.

They blended one way or another, in a way which was acceptable to the audience.

I think wikipedia's explanation of a dj is good enough for me.
(wether it be trance, techno, country and western, rock, etc)

A disc jockey (also known as DJ or deejay) is a person who selects and plays recorded music for an audience
UNQUOTE

but i would add

"by any platform"

Compact Disc, you browse, have physical contact and more or less same modus operandi as with vinyl (for me kinda more sensual though) but dependent on quality of your decks with added trickery.
However, you can still recreate the vinyl work flow with Serato etc. (turntables needed) in digital and also some CD decks like certain Denons were and are shipped with vinyls for the platters. I wouldn't really separate the two, one just evolved from the other.

Edit:
ever heard of Eastbam, he used to "spin" tapes at a time when his native Latvia was still part of the USSR

Last edited:

Back