math puzzle

dfx

Registered
Reaction score
the following table is given

Code:
       [COLOR="Gray"]  A      B      C      D   [/COLOR]   [COLOR="Lime"]sum[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]1[/COLOR]       [COLOR="Red"]24[/COLOR]    ...    ...    ...      [COLOR="Lime"]37[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]2[/COLOR]      ...    ...     [COLOR="Red"]35[/COLOR]    ...      [COLOR="Lime"]61[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]3[/COLOR]      ...     [COLOR="Red"]43[/COLOR]    ...     [COLOR="Red"]14[/COLOR]      [COLOR="Lime"]70[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]4[/COLOR]      ...    ...     [COLOR="Red"]17[/COLOR]    ...      [COLOR="Lime"]31[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Lime"]sum[/COLOR]     [COLOR="Lime"]42[/COLOR]     [COLOR="Lime"]69[/COLOR]     [COLOR="Lime"]62[/COLOR]     [COLOR="Lime"]26[/COLOR]

insert the numbers 1 to 11 into the empty spots in the grid (each occurs only once).
the red numbers are the sums of the numbers touching it (i.e. 24 = B1+B2+A2) -- not taking other red numbers into account.
the green numbers are the sum of all the numbers in one line or column (i.e. 24+B1+C1+D1 = 37).
complete the table.

send any solutions to me per PM :)

Last edited:
*kicks a'ndY back to solving it :p

nasim would have no problem solving this puzzle in less than 5 seconds :mask:

a'ndy has solved it after just about 2.5 hours and a few slight hints from me :p :)

gimme one hint just to see if i was on the right track ;)

PM and i will confirm or not :p

Code:
       [COLOR=Gray]  A      B      C      D   [/COLOR]   [COLOR=Lime]sum[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Gray]1[/COLOR]       [COLOR=Red]24[/COLOR]    ...    ...    ...      [COLOR=Lime]37[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Gray]2[/COLOR]      ...    ...     [COLOR=Red]35[/COLOR]    ...      [COLOR=Lime]61[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Gray]3[/COLOR]      ...     [COLOR=Red]43[/COLOR]    ...     [COLOR=Red]14[/COLOR]      [COLOR=Lime]70[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Gray]4[/COLOR]      ...    ...     [COLOR=Red]17[/COLOR]    ...      [COLOR=Lime]31[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Lime]sum[/COLOR]     [COLOR=Lime]42[/COLOR]     [COLOR=Lime]69[/COLOR]     [COLOR=Lime]62[/COLOR]     [COLOR=Lime]26[/COLOR]
insert the numbers 1 to 11 into the empty spots in the grid (each occurs only once).
the red numbers are the sums of the numbers touching it (i.e. 24 = B1+B2+A2) -- not taking other red numbers into account.
the green numbers are the sum of all the numbers in one line or column (i.e. 24+B1+C1+D1 = 37).
complete the table.

I'll give it a try later on.. :grinning:

Code:
       [COLOR="Gray"]  A      B      C      D   [/COLOR]   [COLOR="Lime"]sum[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]1[/COLOR]       [COLOR="Red"]24[/COLOR]    ...    ...    ...      [COLOR="Lime"]37[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]2[/COLOR]      ...    ...     [COLOR="Red"]35[/COLOR]    ...      [COLOR="Lime"]61[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]3[/COLOR]      ...     [COLOR="Red"]43[/COLOR]    ...     [COLOR="Red"]14[/COLOR]      [COLOR="Lime"]70[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Gray"]4[/COLOR]      ...    ...     [COLOR="Red"]17[/COLOR]    ...      [COLOR="Lime"]31[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Lime"]sum[/COLOR]     [COLOR="Lime"]42[/COLOR]     [COLOR="Lime"]69[/COLOR]     [COLOR="Lime"]62[/COLOR]     [COLOR="Lime"]26[/COLOR]

complete the table.

Got a query ... if "the red numbers are the sums of the numbers touching it (i.e. 24 = B1+B2+A2)" then how shall 43=A3+A4+B4 when the highest number that can be inserted is 11?

because 6 squares are touching the 43: A2, B2, A3, C3, A4 and B4. gotta sum those all up.

okay ... and shall have to drop off the reds in the path!

Btw .. since when did u replace Music with Maths on your mixer turntables? :mask:

math rules, because if you break down music, it all comes down to math only :)

giving up already? :p

Back