dfx - Feel The Bass (aka: dfx goes Progressive!)

dfx

Registered
Reaction score
Well, so I promised to (literally) undust my old "progressive" track collection and throw together a progressive set. As I've pretty much stopped following the progressive scene a while ago, there's nothing fresh in there, but instead of older gems that may be unknown to some. :mml:

Originally wanted to do a 1-hour set only, but due to some great feedback I got while mixing it, I've decided to extend it to 2 hours, then more to 3 hours and so the final total length turned out to be 3 hours and 34 minutes. :super:

I was pretty out of practice with mixing progressive stuff, so some of the transition work is a bit wobbly, but most of them shouldn't be too bad, except one... One was really really really really bad. Shame on me. :blush:

The style pretty much alternates between progressive house and progressive trance, which is IMO a good combination. So this is pretty my defintion of what "progressive" is, you won't find any electro or any other crap like that in there. BPM goes up to 136 after a slower intro part and then stays there. :music:
Direct Download (3:34:05 - 294 MB)
(Right click, save as...)
Tracklist:

01. Son Kite - Focus (Shiloh Remix)
02. Pete Lazonby - Sacred Cycles (Quivver Remix)
03. Astral Projection - Liquid Sun (Cass & Slide Remix)
04. 4mal - Twilight
05. Quivver - Everything's Not You (Quivver Space Mix)
06. Kaan Duzarat - Organic Intellectual
07. Emjae - Necromancer (Probspot Remix)
08. Bakony Skamp - Absolutely Mad
09. Odessi - Moments Of Space
10. Iio - Is It Love (Starkillers Remix)
11. Nikola Gala - Subterra
12. Johan Vermeulen - Labyrinth
13. Özgür Can - Irony
14. Plass - Treasure
15. Fragile - Shugyo
16. Max Graham - Does She Know Yet
17. Azior - Deep & Inside (Subsphere Remix)
18. Joseph Mitri - Fludark
19. Johan Vermeulen - Chemical Romance
20. Antidote - Transcentral (Electrotech Mix)
21. G-Pal & El Greco - A Prayer Beneath
22. Halogen vs. Nash T - On A Bridge (Powerplant Mix)
23. Manipura - Optimus Prime
24. B.I.G. - Promise (Dousk Remix)
25. Jon Carter - Humanism (Valentino Kanzyani Remix)
26. Azior - Sunset At Myvatn (Subsphere Remix)
27. Cryo - Empathic
28. Nathan Fake - Adamedge
29. Ashtrax - Freeload (Freelove)
30. Panoptic - Surface
31. Sander Kleinenberg - Repeat To Specify
32. Freza & DJ Flash - Air Trip
33. Kasey Taylor & Chris Meehan - Simplicity (Parham & Dominic Plaza Remix)
34. Rhythm Code - Hyptonic Influence
35. Nikola Gala - Colourless
36. Inkfish & David West - Aftermath
37. Ballroom - Remember Me

Ozgur's Irony is massive :wub:

looks lecker...high expectations

nice tracklist :) but lol at the nothing fresh there :) makes me laugh off my ass, there's tons of wicked stuff in progressive, still delivering as before, you just need to know where to search for it :) and 136 is kinda fast for progressive :) i hope you didn't **** it or i will kill you :p

and you're right, progressive house & progressive trance are a very good combination, borders between them are very thin anyway :)

Last edited:
nice tracklist :) but lol at the nothing fresh there :) makes me laugh off my ass, there's tons of wicked stuff in progressive, still delivering as before, you just need to know where to search for it :)
i know that, i said i stopped following the scene and that's why i don't have any fresh tunes, doh :p

and 136 is kinda fast for progressive :)
yep, i kinda get bored at lower bpm, which is also why i specialized on trance... it's probably not the right set for ppl looking for any chilly proggy stuff, it's more like something to get your feet moving :)

nice tracklist :) but lol at the nothing fresh there :) makes me laugh off my ass, there's tons of wicked stuff in progressive, still delivering as before, you just need to know where to search for it :) and 136 is kinda fast for progressive :) i hope you didn't **** it or i will kill you :p

and you're right, progressive house & progressive trance are a very good combination, borders between them are very thin anyway :)

slow is boring me to tears...the "wicked stuff" is mostly bleep blop buzz buzz zzzzzzz :p

...but do/did you ever listen to JooF's Global Trance Grooves?....he plays the best progressive and its at high BPM

Last edited:
why do people always think slower stuff means bleep blop buzz buzz? that just makes me think about the way climaxes are produced in trance these days. Real progressive has nothing to do with that.. And yes i have heard global trance grooves, there's sometimes some real progressive in it but i wouldn't say it's therefor 'the best' progressive. you can't judge tracks on their bpm, that's foolish imo. It always saddens me to see people who think they can judge on that basis :(

bpm doesn't have anything to do with tracks being boring or not, it's the way the tracks are produced that makes them interesting or less interesting :)

Last edited:
yep, i kinda get bored at lower bpm, which is also why i specialized on trance... it's probably not the right set for ppl looking for any chilly proggy stuff, it's more like something to get your feet moving :)

128 bpm prog can get your feet moving too :music: but well, i'll check the mix out tomorrow :)

Screw specs, judge by what you feel..

........sorry for interrupting at such a random thread lawl !.....

why do people always think slower stuff means bleep blop buzz buzz? that just makes me think about the way climaxes are produced in trance these days. Real progressive has nothing to do with that.. And yes i have heard global trance grooves, there's sometimes some real progressive in it but i wouldn't say it's therefor 'the best' progressive.

its not that i think, the comment comes from what i've heard, and the biggest problem is that ppl have no clear concept of what Progressive , so if its not Trance than must be its close relative Progressive, to give you an example i have seen ppl label as progressive those two tracks:

Marco V - Dudak (Brian Cross Remix)
S.I.A - The Girl You Lost To Cocaine (Sander Van Doorn Remix)

...which are not progressive by any means.

Also, as with any Genre there are different sounds...i personally prefer the more melodic kind that JooF plays as opposed to what Digweed plays which is mostly what i call "bleep blop", and the reason i call it that is because that is the predominant sound i hear, it lacks melody and is just a bunch of boring noise that lasts for the length of the track.

you can't judge tracks on their bpm, that's foolish imo. It always saddens me to see people who think they can judge on that basis :(

bpm doesn't have anything to do with tracks being boring or not, it's the way the tracks are produced that makes them interesting or less interesting :)

no need to be sad....i am not judging the tracks based on BPM, i judge based on what i hear and in most cases they were all in the higher BPM range.

but i think you are contradicting yourself now... you just said that "136 is kinda fast for progressive"

Progressive can range anywhere between 125-135 BPM

nice tracklist :) but lol at the nothing fresh there :) ...

yeah, a good mix has to have the newest tracks :mask: ...not... that's why I feel most 'fresh' trance mixes are so bad and soulless right now, mostly because of the lack of quality tunes (which goes for prog as well, heck, actually any genre being watered down and accessable to all people thru software, talented or not).

release date doesn't mean a thing, there are loads of neglected 'older' tracks out there.
As for bpm, most dnb is around the 170 bpm mark and yet it can sound slower than a trance or prog tune.
Screw specs, judge by what you feel...
QFT :grinning:

will take a bit to give you feedback (either here or in PM) due to set length and as I have to listen to 19 Halloween mixes this week.

Last edited:
128 bpm prog can get your feet moving too :music:

maybe yours can, but not mine :) it's a personal thing, which is why i always keep pitching when doing prog. some of the tunes were pushed to over +9, but somehow i think they still sound good... :music:

its not that i think, the comment comes from what i've heard, and the biggest problem is that ppl have no clear concept of what Progressive , so if its not Trance than must be its close relative Progressive, to give you an example i have seen ppl label as progressive those two tracks:

Marco V - Dudak (Brian Cross Remix)
S.I.A - The Girl You Lost To Cocaine (Sander Van Doorn Remix)

...which are not progressive by any means.

Also, as with any Genre there are different sounds...i personally prefer the more melodic kind that JooF plays as opposed to what Digweed plays which is mostly what i call "bleep blop", and the reason i call it that is because that is the predominant sound i hear, it lacks melody and is just a bunch of boring noise that lasts for the length of the track.

no need to be sad....i am not judging the tracks based on BPM, i judge based on what i hear and in most cases they were all in the higher BPM range.

but i think you are contradicting yourself now... you just said that "136 is kinda fast for progressive"

Progressive can range anywhere between 125-135 BPM

oh, well if you pitch it up to 135 yes :)
I'm not really a fan of pitching it kinda rapes tracks. It doesn't always work out well :) And progressive starts lower actually, lots of progressive gets released at 124 bpm or lower these days.. for example Astrid Suryanto - Distant Bar (16 Bit Lolitas Remix) , an awesome chilly progressive trancer, released at 124 bpm

Also i don't think people may say all genres of music watered since software came in, there are lots of superb tracks in all the scenes, you just have to put the fluff and the poppy tracks out of your way, and behind lies the treasure :)

maybe yours can, but not mine :) it's a personal thing, which is why i always keep pitching when doing prog. some of the tunes were pushed to over +9, but somehow i think they still sound good... :music:

well all respect to you, but damn, i almost shiver when i hear such things :) It doesn't work for all tracks i think. There's higher bpm progressive too indeed, for instance Ficta - Eli, around 135 bpm and a pure progressive trance track :)

sorry for starting my progressive anger over here, this is my last post, don't want to take the attention away from your mix

Last edited:
oh, well if you pitch it up to 135 yes :)
:)

There's higher bpm progressive too indeed, for instance Ficta - Eli, around 135 bpm and a pure progressive trance track :)

sorry for starting my progressive anger over here, this is my last post, don't want to take the attention away from your mix

you is contradicting yourself again Sire :p :lolz:

its no anger at all, its an exchange of opinions and tastes :)

*throws a frozen trout at van Config

no need to get angry lol, i know quite well what progressive means, better than certain other people here (without mentioning names, *cough*)

let's just see what the listeners say, if they think it's too fast or not :grinning:

you is contradicting yourself again Sire :p :lolz:

its no anger at all, its an exchange of opinions and tastes :)

*throws a frozen trout at van Config

trust me, Ficta - Eli is one of the very few :) These days there's no high bpm progressive anymore , but ok , case closed.

*throws a frozen trout back at t4e

i dont care if its Progressive Progressive - or Trancey Trance - or Housey Trancey Prog - if it rocks i play it - and thats all a matter of personal taste - but the thing that should make ppl think differently about us and the random dudes at the top40 clubs around the world is the fact that we play music we love and the music that we wanna hear.. so stop this whining about blip blop and trip hop and untzzz untzz and boring boring - actually i personally think its a bad sign for staffmembers to publicly tell that they dont like the music being played atm - like it sucks etc. Staffmembers should support the Djs that is playing on here - no matter what they do play - the real judges are the listeners - and at a listener perspective the staff has about 10 votes while the rest couple of 100 is belonging to the non staff.

AH.fm RULES!!

actually i personally think its a bad sign for staffmembers to publicly tell that they dont like the music being played atm - like it sucks etc. Staffmembers should support the Djs that is playing on here - no matter what they do play - the real judges are the listeners - and at a listener perspective the staff has about 10 votes while the rest couple of 100 is belonging to the non staff.
gotta agree and at the same time disagree with you there. agree for obvious reasons, but disagree because it's our job to make sure the listeners get what they expect. it's not so much a matter of personal taste, even though it largely converges (but not fully). i will never support any DJ that plays techno, electro, minimal or anything like that. it just doesn't belong here, and they should know so.

dfx .. Thanks for keeping my request :)

Dwnloading it now! :super:

( Anyone requires hard boiled eggs around here? Can supply..... :lol: :p )

/me runs!

Back