Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AH.FM Music Style Guide

Sure

Kinds of trance music:
    Uplifting trance
    Tech-trance
    Progressive-trance
    Progressive.

We are a station playing Trance, progressive and subgenres. However we play more trance than progressive I'll give you an exaplaination:

For example:

Sebastian Brandt or Manuel Le Saux: play trance music. Once the beats per minute are quite high and you hear floaty sounds we call it uplifting trance. that's the real trance music. Other than that is usually progressive-trance. ( in between)

Markus Schulz: Plays progressive usually at start start. Later during his show he hops over to progressive-trance. But does never hit uplifting trance.

DJ SlanG with his show Silk Progrance is pure progressive music.

Check out shows of these Dj's and compare them. I hope this will help you to understand the genres a little.

Quote Originally Posted by [SuX] DeLuXe View Post
    I dont agree, this station needs way more progressive house and also a little bit deephouse/techno etc. to keep things interesting here...
    24/7 trance is a no-go for me absolutely. Love trance but theres more than that.

Simple thing mate. If you want to listen other genres outside ah.fm format, you can tuned other station any time. I think Dan made this station for trance, cuz he loves trance. Im very glad he did it, cuz trance is still minority in the world. Yopu should appreciate he made this station for us.

And as i said all ppl who wants to listen to other music genres always can switch their player on another station with content they like.

Dan did and does great job with ah.fm and i can see how this station every months gets more listenners. So, imo this is the right way how this station goes

Quote Originally Posted by Ronny K. View Post
    Simple thing mate. If you want to listen other genres outside ah.fm format, you can tuned other station any time. I think Dan made this station for trance, cuz he loves trance. Im very glad he did it, cuz trance is still minority in the world. Yopu should appreciate he made this station for us.

And as i said all ppl who wants to listen to other music genres always can switch their player on another station with content they like.

Dan did and does great job with ah.fm and i can see how this station every months gets more listenners. So, imo this is the right way how this station goes
    AMEN to that Ronny!
    "Clubbers from all over the world unite, yes unite...
    In the name of Trancemusic"

\o/\o/\o/\o/ ZrAiGhT :love:

I dont agree, this station needs way more progressive house and also a little bit deephouse/techno etc. to keep things interesting here...
    24/7 trance is a no-go for me absolutely. Love trance but theres more than that.
    Of course there is more than that. And Personally I like techno too, but AH.FM is a home for trance and progressive. The community excists of ppl who like these genres. They would leave if we start playing Techno. A community is what keeps radio's alive. I think more progressive on this station would be ok. Not Techno.

Well Said

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    [*]"Neotrance"
    What is Neotrance?
    Example of productor, dj...

and I'll drink to that
    a'ndY presents Timetravel on Afterhours.FM
    (every 4th wednesday of the month, 14-15 CET)

I totally agree with you...there is a bit too much all-day trance. Where is the progressive I so long for?
    Flight 643>>>Destination>>>AH.FM

Live Nude Girls Become a supporter now
    I probably should have looked at this thread long ago, but Dan sets it out nicely. There is often an uproar on the forums when a DJ plays something a little bit housey, either to start off or to mix it up, and I was under the impression that prog house was welcome, so I never understood the problem. I agree with most of the comments here - we are here for trance and progressive, but I love the variety and atmosphere that a DJ can create by mixing up the genres a bit, provided it is done well musically and stylistically. But I also agree that the sound can be a little monotonous at times, when so many shows are indistinguishable from one another. The variety can also help attract new listeners, since pure trance is not quite as accessible to most in North America. My favourites are the ones like Eric Allen's, that really mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Young Free View Post
    I probably should have looked at this thread long ago, but Dan sets it out nicely. There is often an uproar on the forums when a DJ plays something a little bit housey, either to start off or to mix it up, and I was under the impression that prog house was welcome, so I never understood the problem. I agree with most of the comments here - we are here for trance and progressive, but I love the variety and atmosphere that a DJ can create by mixing up the genres a bit, provided it is done well musically and stylistically. But I also agree that the sound can be a little monotonous at times, when so many shows are indistinguishable from one another. The variety can also help attract new listeners, since pure trance is not quite as accessible to most in North America. My favourites are the ones like Eric Allen's, that really mix it up.

The reason many shows are indistinguishable from others is due purely to lazyness on the part of the djs imo. There are new tunes released each and every week and they all receive promos. There is plenty of new stuff to choose from. I know of djs with weekly shows on other stations who are just playing uplifting trance who never play what others are playing simply because they choose to look further than whats just infront of their noses

What hardly any of these djs seem to realise is this is not clubland. This is the internet where listeners are exposed to many djs who are often playing the same songs. The internet is a chance for them to show case something different from the rest. To show their true talent at choosing songs and playing an individual set. But is hardly ever the case sadly especially when it comes to uplifting trance.
    Last edited by SUNNY TOMORROW; Sep 28th, 2010 at 20:51.
    My Tennis Divas - Agnieszka Radwanska Jelena Ostapenko Garbine Muguruza Sabine Lisicki

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberio View Post
    What is Neotrance?
    Example of productor, dj...
    neotrance????

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio_Daniel View Post
    neotrance????
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-trance
    My Tennis Divas - Agnieszka Radwanska Jelena Ostapenko Garbine Muguruza Sabine Lisicki

To comment on the techno thing, there is still some variety outside of trance, without abandoning trance altogether. This is exemplified well with Markus Schulz, Marcus Schössow, and probably some others. Schössow's show (say that 5 times quickly) usually seems to feature some tech/electro house and techno mixed with trance and progressive. Markus Schulz has often incorporated a few house tracks, and occasionally techno into his sets. The variety exists, even though there are no shows specifically for such genres. This is something I certainly would welcome more of, but I agree that shows specifically for house or techno just wouldn't belong at all. This is, after all, a trance station.
    Last edited by Antonio Leone; Oct 2nd, 2010 at 20:28.
    Listen in to my latest mix and visit my facebook via my url in my profile.

let me give you my opinion of this discussion too. afterhours is the only one radio station which is linked to my pc, its the only station i listen, its the only station where i get my sets from for driving in my car etc.

the reason why i like afterhours is corse here is trance music in the main focus. im simply not interistet into techno, house or something else. im lucky with the situation here and i hope it never get changed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsonbreak View Post
    let me give you my opinion of this discussion too. afterhours is the only one radio station which is linked to my pc, its the only station i listen, its the only station where i get my sets from for driving in my car etc.

the reason why i like afterhours is corse here is trance music in the main focus. im simply not interistet into techno, house or something else. im lucky with the situation here and i hope it never get changed!
    Thank you for nice words mate, it won't change
    Most listened to Trance Radio - AH.FM
    Love AH.FM? become today.

Dan,

I like the amazing effort you have put in AH.FM.
    I like that amazing trance DJs and trance sets are released via AH.FM, I have followed it for years and it is simply amazing the work done. However among the ones that are truly mixing trance, we have in the meantime 50% electro. I have no problem with Electro, but I do have a problem with labelling it as trance, while trance has a history of about 20 amazing years. Latest years has become more and more electro, I agree, but you claim to be nr1 in trance and progressive. I will not be supporter when I hear electro half of the time, misinforming newcomers what trance actually means, what trance is. We see that enough on labels....

I know very well you cannot check every set before it broadcasted, AH.FM is just doing amazing effort with amazing names, but this is getting quite absurd. In my personal opinion you will not win if changing to Electro and even stating it. You have proven to be a very strong Trance, uplifting, progressive radio. I'm considering AH.FM as one of the few amazing radios trying to keep trance legends alive, what it deserves. Endless thank you for that. That IS amazing!

This is however changing due to what we hear. I cannot decide what you do with it, however, you claim it to be nr1 in trance and progressive, can we please hear that? I'm no longer supporting until this gets fixed. Truly sorry. I like ANY kind of music, but my love for trance is so big I will not accept it to be "mis-labelled".
    Last edited by enRu; Sep 5th, 2013 at 23:03.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information