Platinum Notes - anybody use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamensioN

Universal Language
Registered
Reaction score
Does anybody use this? What's your opinion of it? Is it worth the $98US?

Platinum Notes.com - Audio Mastering Software for DJs

Platinum Notes makes your tracks sound incredibly smooth. Designed by professional DJs and musicians, Platinum Notes improves your files and gives them warmth, perfect volume, and correct pitch. It removes distortion and clipped peaks.

You can sit back while Platinum Notes scans your entire music collection and generates perfect music files that will keep the dance floor bouncing.

don't use it but looks very tempting, if it does what it promises it should be well worth it.
I'm sure we both don't want to scan thru some Ks of files and apply effects, filters and normalisation to each track individually. Also helping with those badly mastered tracks that no matter how much you try to twist the mixers knobs will make your transition look n00bish, except you prepped it before.
"Mixed in Key" got good reviews so with that pedigree it doesn't sound alot, providing it is as good as it claims.
just wondering how it will treat breakdowns and intentionally weaker mastered parts of some tracks.

I can only guess it reads into the track, frequencies of certain parts perhaps, and if some lacks here and there it fixes it up!

As for breakdowns, i can only assume it would adjust volume of it as compared to levels of the peaks, not loudening them as a whole, IMO

def something to ask yakov or someone on the mixed in key forums, it may be there already, i cant remember!

Mixed In Key - Harmonic Mixing DJ Software ;)

Does anybody use this? What's your opinion of it? Is it worth the $98US?

you wanna pay 98 US during this currency crisis, i am staring at the conversion like a hawk lately haha, but then again life must go on hey, we cant change it lets be honest :wink:

you wanna pay 98 US during this currency crisis, i am staring at the conversion like a hawk lately haha, but then again life must go on hey, we cant change it lets be honest :wink:

LOL! Ironic as it is, I was thinking about buying Platnium Notes about 6 months ago when our dollar was almost parity with the US. Just today I looked at it again - and $98US = $146AU.

I just hope the Aussie dollar gets better before my planned holiday next year.

LOL! Ironic as it is, I was thinking about buying Platnium Notes about 6 months ago when our dollar was almost parity with the US. Just today I looked at it again - and $98US = $146AU.

I just hope the Aussie dollar gets better before my planned holiday next year.

:lol: .. I was Going To Buy That Program also As I Bought " Mixed in Keys " ,,, But I Think Mixmeister is Much better it 've The Keys Also ( Key Code ) & Also u can Master Ur Tracks By adjusting The Track Volume , Bass , Treble & Mid range Regarding The Track Levels ... I really Dont Trust A program to master My Sounds Automatically :) .. I Prefer To Use MY ears for That :) ...

BTW 98$ = 540 LE :( Here in egypt !!!!!!! :mask:

Last edited:
Ok .. 'm here Again after I bought The Program ,,, My review it's very Nice I Worked it on My mashups , it scanned it Then Started to fix Auto , Then Exported A clone file for The Mp3 , SO it also doesnt Overwrite The Original ,,, After listening , I felt Some Comfortable in The Track indeed , I did Compared The New With The Old & I like The New Better More , Then I Readed Each Peaks , & I found it Louded Some Peaks & Lowed Some Peaks ,, Really it's Working .. I DId Love it ,, BTW it's My Own Opinion , SO dont Balme me in Anything :p ... heheh ,, But I'm sure The Track 's better , If u wanna to see how it Works I could Send u The mashup before & after Fixing On The Program :) ....

But I'm also dont Think I Lost Much for The 540 :( as I gained better sound for My mashups & Bootlegs ,,, 'll Try That on Mastering Production also

CheeRz

Platinum Notes Tutorial

Introduction
Platinum Notes "heals" your music by analyzing MP3 and WAV files and correcting areas that need improvement. The goal of Platinum Notes is to give you the cleanest sound on any sound system.

Platinum Notes does not delete your existing music files. For every song, Platinum Notes will create a new 320Kbit MP3 or WAV file based on your preference after applying the "healing" filters.

How Does It Work?
Platinum Notes is a "one-click" application. Just add your original files to the "Analyze and Process Songs" window and click "Start Processing". Platinum Notes will analyze your files and automatically apply premium-quality filters.

How Do You Use Platinum Notes?

• Add your original files into "Analyze and Process" window
  • Click "Start Processing."
  • After the file is loaded, Platinum Notes will run several filters. For each file, it will analyze your entire song and find areas for improvement. Analysis will be completed before the "healing" algorithms are applied.

Steps Taken By Platinum Notes

• Analyze Volume

Platinum Notes detects the volume of each songs to see if it needs adjustment. The best average volume for a song is -13 decibels.
  • Analyze Pitch

In order for your music to sound perfect, it has to be precisely on-key. Many songs are detuned at some point in the recording process. Platinum Notes detects the pitch of your song to see if the pitch needs adjustment.
  • Analyze Clipped Peaks

Clipping occurs when the song is recorded too loud. Platinum Notes detects all clipped peaks.
  • Fix Clipped Peaks

This is when the "healing" process begins.

Here is the original sound wave with clipped peaks circled:

clippedWave.gif

And here is the wave after Platinum Notes processing:

healthyWave.gif

Clipped peaks make your music sound harsh and distorted. By restoring missing waves, Platinum Notes makes your music sound smooth at loud volumes.
  • Adjust Pitch

Platinum Notes adjusts the song to be perfectly on-key.

For DJs, this is a valuable adjustment because it enables perfect harmonic mixing. If the DJ plays two songs in the same key, and both songs have the same pitch, they will fit perfectly together.

Here is an example of a detuned song:

offKey.gif

In the above example, melodies and vocals don't fall on any particular note.

Platinum Notes adjusts the pitch to the closest key. Now, the song plays in the key of F instead of being between E and F:

onKey.gif

Your song plays perfectly on-key after processing. Song tempo (Beats Per Minute) remains the same.
  • Adjust The Dynamics

Dynamics describe the difference between the loud and the quiet parts of your music. Songs with "good dynamics" have an audible difference between loud and quiet parts.

Platinum Notes can fix dynamics in songs that had the daylights squeezed out of them in post-production. Platinum Notes will automatically adjust your dynamics to keep your loud parts loud, and quiet parts quiet.

Here is the sound wave illustrating bad dynamics:

badDynamics.gif

Here is the Platinum Notes "Dynamics fix":

goodDynamics.gif

When the beat kicks in, it should sound loud compared to the quiet breakdown. This creates a rush of excitement and energy on the dance floor.

Platinum Notes uses premium-quality iZotope Multi-band Compressors and Expanders to create perfect dynamics.
  • Set Final Volume

After your song is "healed", Platinum Notes sets the final average volume at -13 decibels. Your new song will have the same average volume as the rest of your music collection -- no more reaching for the volume knob.

Benefits Of Writing New Files Platinum Notes creates new files after processing. Your original files are never overwritten.
To write new files, we licensed the MP3 encoding patent directly from Fraunhofer Institute and Thomson Multimedia. Platinum Notes can store results in 320 Kbit MP3 or uncompressed WAV files.

Compare The Results
Here is the original sound wave before processing. It has clipped peaks, detuned pitch and -9.5 decibel average volume:

originalWave.gif

Here is the Platinum Notes fix, with no clipped peaks, perfect pitch and -13 Average volume:

finalFix.gif

Platinum Notes is easy to use because the entire process is fully automated.

Summary of Platinum Notes
Platinum Notes can analyze and process hundreds of files with one click of a button. To get started, simply add your favorite music to the "Analyze and Process" window. Click "Start Processing" and Platinum Notes will generate new files for you. From Ibiza to your living room, you music will sound perfect regardless of where you play it.

Ok .. 'm here Again after I bought The Program ,,, My review it's very Nice I Worked it on My mashups , it scanned it Then Started to fix Auto , Then Exported A clone file for The Mp3 , SO it also doesnt Overwrite The Original ,,, After listening , I felt Some Comfortable in The Track indeed , I did Compared The New With The Old & I like The New Better More , Then I Readed Each Peaks , & I found it Louded Some Peaks & Lowed Some Peaks ,, Really it's Working .. I DId Love it ,, BTW it's My Own Opinion , SO dont Balme me in Anything :p ... heheh ,, But I'm sure The Track 's better , If u wanna to see how it Works I could Send u The mashup before & after Fixing On The Program :) ....

But I'm also dont Think I Lost Much for The 540 :( as I gained better sound for My mashups & Bootlegs ,,, 'll Try That on Mastering Production also

CheeRz

Thanks joe-shadows - that's a very positive review. I would love to personally hear the before and after of your mashup - so I can hear it for myself. After your comments, it makes me want the program now. If I can hear what difference it made, and its good - I think I will buy it myself.

I use it and I'm quite satisfied with it :)

Out of 10 - how would you rate it? And like joe-shadows's comments - do you find it makes a very noticable difference aswell?

I give it 9/10.
+ It really improves the sound from bad mastered / mixed tracks with a lot of distortion. Unfortunately are there nowadays more and more. Mostly from unexperienced FL Studio Producers :-(
+ You get all tracks on 1 level which is great for mixing...All chanel's gain on eg 0 db and mixes are good

I'll give that a shot, not right to spend two hours on an one hour mix to level out all the bad mastering. mostly distortion thru OTT compression.
and what is it with those long breakdowns nowadays (2mins+)???

I'm a user and I love it. Another not jet mentioned positieve effect of healed tracks wich I haven't read in this topic .... cdj's generate much better graphs.

I use it too, noticeable changes on tracks, been using for 9 months or so now, i give it 9 out of 10 ;)

I just recently bought the Platinum Notes 2.5 software for Mac. After doing a few re-runs through processing, encoding & decoding from WAVs to mp3s and back to WAV.:lol: I came to the conclusion that There is a huge difference in the pros and cons.

PROS:
Great thing about the software is the Dynamics Compression and Volume change. Those seem to be the highlights which I believed made the difference in the overall tune. I simply ignored the Pitch change since I find it useless. Also, conversion from WAV to WAV or possibly even mp3 to WAV made the biggest difference. Since WAV files are lossless, it was nice to be able to keep the same quality of the mp3 files after the conversion. Your best bet is to process just WAV files if you still looking to achieve the best quality for an mp3 or a WAV file.:good:

CONS:
Now, the sad part that I noticed about this program is the mp3 encoders. If you were to convert an mp3 or even a WAV file with Platninum Notes own mp3 encoder at the 320 bit rate option (ignore the 192 VBR option which I dont even know why it was an option.:lol:), Overall qualty of the sound would be downsized tremendously (literally in comparison to a 192 bit rate). And also did noticed that the tracks sounds very flat, almost sound like I was listening to a local talking radio station.:lol: So my advice is, dont use PN's MP3 Encoder at all.:mask:

So, in conclusion through my testing of this, your better off using WAV. Or as they stated for recommendations, "MP3s is for listeners and WAV is for DJs." :grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back