A question on DJ rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunbreach

Registered
Reaction score
This has been on my mind for a while now and I can't find the answer with Google, so I'll ask you guys. Don't flame please, I know this is a nub question and I'm sorry for that.
Say I wanted to present a DJ mix on an online radio site (like this one), and I had bought the MP3s for the mix online (from somewhere like djdownload.com), would I be allowed to use the song in my mix, or would I need to ask the label/artist for permission (and possible pay a royalty fee).
Thanks for your help guys, had this question on my mind for a while now but have been too embarrassed to ask :$

Been there my friend, long time ago before digital downloads.
As far as I'm aware now you are fully allowed to use the track in a DJ mix, and even live, once you bought it from an online shop. That's what I've been doing anyway! :)

by purchasing your tracks from legal online stores you have "purchased" the right to play that track in your sets :)

by purchasing your tracks from legal online stores you have "purchased" the right to play that track in your sets :)

For private and personal listening .. or mass broadcasting the mix?

For private and personal listening .. or mass broadcasting the mix?

As far as I know (I might be wrong though^^) you only buy the right to use the track for personal purpose!
So if you want to play the track out you have to pay royalties, and a club has to pay royalties as well as for example a radio station, but that depends on the country. (Afterhours doesn't have to pay royalties, because it's based in Canada, and Canadian laws allow internet broadcasts for free.)
Usually it's the owner of the club / radiostation who takes care that the royalties are being paid.

That only regards streaming, if you let people download your set it's different, in many countries it's considered illegal to do so, and labels surely don't like it either.

you have to right to use it in a set, but if you want to broadcast it somewhere, the broadcaster needs to pay royalties as with any other music, mixed or not...

the only right you have once you purchased the track is to play it in private, single or mixed.
as soon as you get out of that privacy you have no rights at all, playing in clubs, on air or even on your private garden party makes it public and the royalty question arises.

... (Afterhours doesn't have to pay royalties, because it's based in Canada, and Canadian laws allow internet broadcasts for free.)...

that's what I don't get.
Canadian laws apply on Canadian territory for stuff in Canadian territory.

Streaming is global, doesn't end at Canada's borders.
The music is international, written and produced in other countries under their applicable laws.

Even if the legal situation is 'clear' (as mud...to me at least) the ethical one is far from it.

the only right you have once you purchased the track is to play it in private, single or mixed.
as soon as you get out of that privacy you have no rights at all, playing in clubs, on air or even on your private garden party makes it public and the royalty question arises.

only applies to "public performance" :

A public performance is one that occurs either in a public place or any place where people gather (other than a small circle of a family or its social acquaintances.)

that's what I don't get.

The music is international, written and produced in other countries under their applicable laws.

Even if the legal situation is 'clear' (as mud...to me at least) the ethical one is far from it.

internet radio currently falls under a legal grey area in Canada and creating an internet radio station and playing music online doesn’t require and payment for royalty fees on the music they play.

its true that is streamed globally, so than what?...you pay to every country on this planet that listenes to it?...each station is subject to the laws where it exists.

that's what I don't get.

agreed, current laws aren't made for a global context like the internet. everyone that listens to AH or makes the music that gets aired on AH has different views of what royalties AH would have to pay, depending on where they're from. however only canadian law has authority over AH.

on the one hand, the situation would be clear and "proper" if AH was configured to only let canadian residents listen. on the other hand, when looking at the royalties web broadcasters need to pay in say the US, those numbers make no sense at all...

additionally, the ethics of the royalties collecting organizations is questionable as well. does the money they get actually go to the artists? afaik not, at least not to the right ones (in the context of a trance radio station).

Last edited:
one thing that i don't get at all is, a normal radio station i mean terrestrial station doesn't pay any royaltee for the tracks they play, even the satellite radios doesn't pay much, why only an internet online radio pays royaltees? i really don't get it. What is the difference between an online radio and an terrestrial radio?:confused:

one thing that i don't get at all is, a normal radio station i mean terrestrial station doesn't pay any royaltee for the tracks they play ...
of course they do, what makes you think they don't?

don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating the royalty BS as it goes on at the moment and seeing/hearing this station streaming in high bandwidth (with no ads like others do) is something I certainly don't want to see going because of some RIAA mobsters, what they want Dan and so many others for that matter couldn't afford. Also for that reason it was good to let the torrents go, give them as little a handle as possible.

t4e "public performance" is a term in used in law, therefore it is made of rubber and will be wrapped around you in ways you won't imagine. Public performance is when it is audible to the public, again under local jurisdiction. So back from the ex-colony to the UK, dependent on council here you have to apply for a licence if your garden party exceeds over 80 - 120 people, which extends to alcohol licence and live band or recorded music licence. Howzat for bullshite?!

So you wouldn't pay every country for royalty, some created body would do the collection (which the RIAA tries to bully itself into) and the royalty fee would be under current model based on listener count. As long as these figures are collected from only canadian IPs it's fine, all other IPs wouldn't. They could be to make the loop hole work if their connection to AH would terminate in Canada, therefore kinda falling into their legalities, but that doesn't work if there are servers in other countries that don't act as a relay but have the listener connected in the country where the server resides.

Last edited:
of course they do, what makes you think they don't?

they pay different kind of royalties :)

The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, building on 1995's Digital Performance Rights in Sounds Recordings Act, said Net-radio firms had to pay performance royalties on songs played in addition to composer royalties on those songs.
Terrestrial radio stations pay composer royalties, but they don't pay performance royalties, under the long-established rationale that record labels benefit from the promotional value of songs played on the radio.

Last edited:
i read they don't, or they changed this recently:)
well i don't know how it works in the US, it's possible that they don't pay royalties there, in which case the whole thing would make even less sense. i know the local terrestial radios here do pay royalties, which is part of the reason why there are so few of them here. again, this is something that depends on the local legislation of where the broadcaster is in.

if you run an FM radio station next to a border, sitting in a country where you don't need to pay royalties, but with your frequency extending into another country where you would have to pay royalties, you get the same unclear situation as we have here. with the difference that an FM station could not possibly prevent people from outside its country receiving it, while a webcast could. technically anyway.

due to AH having servers around Europe aswell as the US wouldn't that mean they have to pay royalties for the particular country the relay server is on?

I know alot of Europeans listen to the Netherland Relay for example.

well i don't know how it works in the US, it's possible that they don't pay royalties there, in which case the whole thing would make even less sense. i know the local terrestial radios here do pay royalties, which is part of the reason why there are so few of them here. again, this is something that depends on the local legislation of where the broadcaster is in.

if you run an FM radio station next to a border, sitting in a country where you don't need to pay royalties, but with your frequency extending into another country where you would have to pay royalties, you get the same unclear situation as we have here. with the difference that an FM station could not possibly prevent people from outside its country receiving it, while a webcast could. technically anyway.

Here in Portugal a terrestrial station need to have a license to broadcast by the Gov. it's only what i know.

What happened here 20 years ago was the pirates radios broadcasting with no license, that made a big public discussion here, that's why some years late the radio broadcasting was liberalized. About royalties i never heard any thing about that, if they pay or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back