AH.FM On Demand *feedback needed*

would you be interested in this service?

• don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Many of you ask when is that on demand system coming, well I have some more news for you all and also i wanted some feedback from you :) First off a little about the on demand system, it will consist of 12 months of sets/special events/ that includes "in the mix" "dejavu" "ladies night" "eoyc" "yamc", that means you will be able to stream any set in last 12 months @ 192k. Also there is a chance of a "download" feature that might be available, Im in the process of getting more info from a lawyer in canada, if your wondering why canada? well thats where AH.FM is based out of.

So you're wondering "yayy that sounds very nice" you will be able to listen and download favorite shows onto your ipod, iphone etc... with all these nice things there comes the running costs, and startup costs to get this thing up and running. That includes paying for the person who will design and code the whole application, I have to buy a server with lots of data storage, royalty fees, and of course monthly bandwidth fees for the streaming and downloads. Also as always there is the extra costs that always come up, such as new hardware being replaced/upgraded.

So I would like to get some feedback from you guys on this, I created a poll. If you guys would be interested in this kind of feature and willing to subscribe with a monthly fee & what would be a reasonable fee a month. Reason why I would like to see feedback is I don't want to get a loan and get this whole thing running and have no one to be using it. So thank you for reading this long post, and I appreciate all the feedback.

:friends:

First to vote. Sign me up. :super:

I'll be able to retire TAP most likely, and won't that be a relief for us both? (kiss) :hug::love::cat:

I think if I listen to a live set I like, I'd look at the Set info link and see if there was a download link for the entire set, and if not, then head to the download On Demand at AH.FMwould be available. I would also like to pay a small fee for every set or yearly: Like $5 for Bronze, $10 for Silver and $15 for Gold packages.

I pay $10 every 6 months now for RvsB, and barely go there, AH is easily worth $15. and only $30 Includes a T-Shirt?

I like a sliding scale depending on what you want. The best deal would be for a year subscription. A little more expensive for 6 months. More for 1 month. And maybe $1.99 for a single GET IT NOW set. :cat:

edit: Include a t-shirt with the year's subscription as a premium. That would be the coolest thing EVER. :grinning:

Last edited:
Hello Dan, kind of you to keep this open to the community.

For me, I will vote No, because of the facts:

1- It is possible to get all these sets, hot and fresh, for free.

2- It doesn't have (the sets) true value to be bothered and pay for it. The service will only attract a very few number of listeners who also have the option to make an online payment in their region.

3- Sounds commercial (to me at least), which is not among the stated values of AfterHours, even if the reason is to justify the running cost of the service.

The torrent site was doing an amazing job, so if
[FONT=&quot]there is a chance of a "download" feature that might be available[/FONT]
then why not re-establish what has been terminated? since the main obstacle (downloading) has been overcome.

This is only a personal opinion, which I believe that others may agree with me as well, it does not in anyway reflects any negative approach toward AfterHours. I love AfterHours, and will always support it.

2- It doesn't have (the sets) true value to be bothered and pay for it. The service will only attract a very few number of listeners who also have the option to make an online payment in their region.

3- Sounds commercial (to me at least), which is not among the stated values of AfterHours, even if the reason is to justify the running cost of the service.

The torrent site was doing an amazing job, so if then why not re-establish what has been terminated? since the main obstacle (downloading) has been overcome.

This is only a personal opinion, which I believe that others may agree with me as well, it does not in anyway reflects any negative approach toward AfterHours. I love AfterHours, and will always support it.

Torrents aren't an option as far as I am aware,

My thoughts: Dan knows my thoughts lol

The torrent site was doing an amazing job, so if then why not re-establish what has been terminated? since the main obstacle (downloading) has been overcome.

I pretty much follow Wailo in his points, they really make sense to me. I think an on demand service should be free for all , the ones who appreciate it will surely donate some money for that system, just like some people also donated when the torrent site was up.
Personally i can get all sets i want if i ask them to the dj's themselves. I don't listen that much to sets anyway, so maybe i can't really give a good answer to this. But this is my opinion anyway :)

Torrents is out of the question, torrent donations were very slim, meaning few people donated, those donations did not cover Hungary machine, the money that's being paid monthly for that machine is not even a fraction of what the donations were for that specific seed box. So to sum up yes torrents were free to everyone, but it was not free for me and Kowy (hungary machine owner).

There is no final answer as if I will set this thing up, all I'm looking for here is some feedback which you have been giving :hug: if people wont be interested I see no need to dump money for new server, hardware storage, monthly bandwidth bills and possibly royalties (waiting to hear back from lawyer) + pay the developer to design whole application and ofcourse maintenance.

Thank you whoever gave feedback, keep em coming :)

i was just thinking. what if you can choose what quality we want the "on demand". i mean, like 92 kbs would be free (ex. basic) and 192 kbs would cost maybe $15-20a year (premium or something), plus you will be able to download all the sets.. and you can't do what with the basic packaged. i would like to pay somewhere between $15-20 for that! i also thing that, in this way, you might get more money then the torrent page. since that was more like a donation. this will still be some sort of donation, but in another way...

but guess this is something GrayDog already have said:unsure:

Sorry, but i'm not quite getting this.

Okay, you got rid of torrents and said you where going to replace it with an on demand download. So this is nice. No mention of there might be any payment toward this service from us so people are looking forward to it.

Now suddenly your saying oh this costs so much and would people be willing to pay for it?. Well, you must have had some idea that it was going to cost a fair bit. Why did you not say in the first place that there might be a fee charge towards it. That way people would have known well in advance what was coming.

Is what your saying that if we dont pay for it then we dont get it? Not that I would be paying for anything anyway. I don't pay for free radio much as I love to be here.

I'm not trying to be nasty about it or anything:hug: But the whole thing is a bit bizarre. I know your offering a lot but if its free radio then its not my concern how you are paying for it.

This is kind of simla to what was being offered at the other station where many of us came from, they called it premium, where you had a channel that played replays and stuff and supposedly got a better quality sound if you payed for it. I never payed for that and I wouldnt be paying for this. So I would definately be voting no to your proposal.

Sorry, but i'm not quite getting this.

Okay, you got rid of torrents and said you where going to replace it with an on demand download. So this is nice. No mention of there might be any payment toward this service from us so people are looking forward to it.

Now suddenly your saying oh this costs so much and would people be willing to pay for it?. Well, you must have had some idea that it was going to cost a fair bit. Why did you not say in the first place that there might be a fee charge towards it. That way people would have known well in advance what was coming.

Is what your saying that if we dont pay for it then we dont get it? Not that I would be paying for anything anyway. I don't pay for free radio much as I love to be here.

I'm not trying to be nasty about it or anything:hug: But the whole thing is a bit bizarre. I know your offering a lot but if its free radio then its not my concern how you are paying for it.

This is kind of simla to what was being offered at the other station where many of us came from, they called it premium, where you had a channel that played replays and stuff and supposedly got a better quality sound if you payed for it. I never payed for that and I wouldnt be paying for this. So I would definately be voting no to your proposal.

Thank you for your feedback, that's all that was asked, and I never said anything about if you care or anyone cares what it costs to run AH.FM, some people like to help and some don't as yourself quote you:

I know your offering a lot but if its free radio then its not my concern how you are paying for it.

Once again thanks for feedback.

what they had was if you wanted quality (192 Kbps)you needed to pay it, free only 92 K, here you have 192 Kbps for free, it's a big difference Sunny

Running 192 kbps and 96 kbps both shall cost, irrespective of if its free to air and we are trying to find a way to ensure our running costs are covered before we start.

Can we get in between set advertisements? Sponsors? Direct Banner Advertisements in the On Demand Page?

Running 192 kbps and 96 kbps both shall cost, irrespective of if its free to air and we are trying to find a way to ensure our running costs are covered before we start.

Can we get in between set advertisements? Sponsors? Direct Banner Advertisements in the On Demand Page?

ick to all of that...

so disruptive

Well ... it does bother ... but tbh, I understand the situation in here coz me and a friend of mine run a regional language streaming radio station, and we spend more than $500 a month out of our pockets just to keep it running, with royalty fees and payment to syndicated content providers and so on. So, basically its tough on the Webmaster's part to keep a thing like this running, coz its real costly.

i think you guys are getting it all WRONG...

Take this as a new SERVICE by AH.FM which is not free of charge, but whoever likes the sets will have the option to get them, WHILE ROYALTIES ARE PAID AFTER SONGS, so it makes this thing all legal. Plus you're supporting the artists and labels indirectly (which you wouldn't do in other ways, i assume)

Comparing it to the previous "torrents distribution service" well, that's something not fair... you guys taking it like this: "We haven't had to pay so far, but now we do, wtf it's a ripoff!"
That previous site was ran by me, i've never asked money from everyone but i accepted donations to cover some of my costs... and btw I've never expected anyone to say thanks for me either. It was free, it was good, but it wasn't right the way it was, period.
This question is about the future service, whether it should be launched or not... so pls stop complaining and start to think reasonable...

Storing and serving 1 year of AH.FM sets and events, and you guys want it for free. Nothing on the internet is free, everything has its own costs, covered by commercials, ads, popups, whatsoever or maybe out from someone's purse.

So please, i'm asking everyone to look at this thing as a possible future service, which won't be launched if there's no need for it. that's all i wanted to say.

Kowy

Last edited:
We've talked about this, I think on demand is a good idea, depending on what listeners want. The costs needs to be covered as well..

Personally i can get all sets i want if i ask them to the dj's themselves. I don't

Only ppl with good connections can get any set they want, even they can't easily get it, they have to ask every single dj. On demand would work easy, a single click and you will be able to listen to all 12 month last shows. There is a big difference..

i think you guys are getting it all WRONG...

Take this as a new SERVICE by AH.FM which is not free of charge, but whoever likes the sets will have the option to get them, WHILE ROYALTIES ARE PAID AFTER SONGS, so it makes this thing all legal. Plus you're supporting the artists and labels indirectly (which you wouldn't do in other ways, i assume)

Comparing it to the previous "torrents distribution service" well, that's something not fair... you guys taking it like this: "We haven't had to pay so far, but now we do, wtf it's a ripoff!"
That previous site was ran by me, i've never asked money from everyone but i accepted donations to cover some of my costs... and btw I've never expected anyone to say thanks for me either. It was free, it was good, but it wasn't right the way it was, period.
This question is about the future service, whether it should be launched or not... so pls stop complaining and start to think reasonable...

Storing and serving 1 year of AH.FM sets and events, and you guys want it for free. Nothing on the internet is free, everything has its own costs, covered by commercials, ads, popups, whatsoever or maybe out from someone's purse.

So please, i'm asking everyone to look at this thing as a possible future service, which won't be launched if there's no need for it. that's all i wanted to say.

Kowy

exactly, for free people have the streaming radio at 192 K, so it's fair to charge for the on_demand, but if only will have "demand" of enough people for that.

Paying for separated servers for the streaming and the ondemand will not be easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back