View Poll Results: would you be interested in this service?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sure Ill be happy to subscribe to this service

26 40.00%
  • No thanks not interested

10 15.38%
  • maybe / not decided

29 44.62%
  • don't care

0 0%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AH.FM On Demand *feedback needed*

Some years ago someone created rapidshare as one of the best free hosting sites, and quickly it grew and became the main site to upload all kind of illegal stuff such music, films, tv series… so they added their special feature.. “u can pay us some extra money and u will get high speed and you wont have to wait 1 hour till start to download your next file”. People went crazy and everybody said.. “I wont pay for anything that I can get it for free, I can wait”. 5 years later most of ppl have megaupload or rapidshare accounts cause that little monthly cash, makes their lives easier.

Humans (and dancers :p) do not like to wait, we do like to control everything, even music schedule. I really think that on demand thing would be so useful, not only cause I can download my favourite shows and keep them with me forever, also because sometimes, specially during mornings, replays don’t fit with my activities (sometimes too prog, sometimes too uplift) or maybe cause I listened to those shows the day before and I don’t want to listen to them again.. then, the only thing I need is to log in into my premium account and listen to whatever I want.

That makes my life easier.

AH.FM Station Cat Become a supporter now The Cat Lady's Avatar
    Jelly, I'm with you. I like to control as much of my life as possible. I hadn't though of your particular angle, but you are absolutely right. When there is a REPLAY on I don't particularly want to hear again, I can listen to a different set, AND DOWNLOAD IT TOO! I've died and gone to River Oaks.
    Janet Elaine Lemoncelli Halpin
    December 18, 1935 - March 14, 2017
    I love you, Mom. I will miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by Config View Post
    That's not entirely true. As i said; Dj's already have supported the producers too. They bought the tracks they play in the sets and therefor have the right to play those tracks out.
    i just have few words to say as reply to that:

a DJ will make more money in one night playing in a club than a producer will ever make in a year for his track
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by t4e View Post

a DJ will make more money in one night playing in a club than a producer will ever make in a year for his track
    And that is why all the headliners have to do those grueling world wind tours. To make enough money to pay for their producing habits. I couldn't do it and neither could Config, I'll bet. Otherwise, he would be doing it. But I imagine that he'd rather have a REAL life.

I should be sleeping at this time. Nevertheless.

There is no need to have all sets on demand or for download. If some DJs don't want to - leave them alone!

About donating I would like to see a poll whether people prefer other ways to donate than paypal. I do! I didn't donate to torrents because paypal was the one and only option. I'm sorry for that Kowy. There are other ways to donate to AH. I don't know whether the service for credit card donations would be an option.

@ Dan: frisky can't compete - 128k only.

Torrents are closed since more than two months now. Looking around I found a lot of sets for legal download. This does not include T-*P.
    And I tested other stations.

On demand can not substitute downloads, at least not now. Like many others I like to listen to my favourite DJs in my car. In some years we may have stable internet stream even in our car or elsewhere. I still buy CDs, [Advertisement] Mellomania [/Advertisement] for example.

Whatever you do - good luck! It's impossible to turn back the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Config View Post
    They bought the tracks they play in the sets and therefor have the right to play those tracks out.
    wrong, buying a track only entitles you to listen to it personally, it does NOT give you the right to play it in any sort of public event - no broadcasting, no public events, no filesharing, no download links etc, nothing like that, not even if it's mixed in a set.
    http://dfx.at/sets/ :: http://myspace.com/dfx_dj

JayCan.

I disagree. The DJs and Producers Corner is NOT the Ritz-Carlton. I LIVE on AH and I think I've been in that thread twice. So I do not see that as a good place for anyone to get REAL promotion and exposure. The On Demand service, however will do that for them because it's OUT FRONT and I would imagine that Dan will give it a prominent spot on the home page there.

As to the 2-class system, we already have that. We have the Supporters and the Freeloaders. Not that there's anything wrong, per se, to being a freeloader. I do it, too, you bet. Just not here. But so far as I can tell, I haven't seen any rioting in the streets between the two groups. We all get along just fine. So I just don't see that as a valid argument for or against the On Demand/Download.

You have a VERY valid point about REPLAY in the general meaning of the term. With On Demand, it becomes wasteful of space. If Dan used those time slots for new DJs, he might be able to pull in the other time zones in the US better. It's not much fun for the folks on the Left Coast. No live sets, no one in the forums to talk to. I'd like to see a few more DJs on board for the left hand time zones.

Quote Originally Posted by dfx View Post
    wrong, buying a track only entitles you to listen to it personally, it does NOT give you the right to play it in any sort of public event - no broadcasting, no public events, no filesharing, no download links etc, nothing like that, not even if it's mixed in a set.
    Technically, you are absolutely correct (depending on the copyright laws of your particular country). Every time a track is played publicly in any way, the artist "should" get a little cut. He/she don't. Things would be different if they did. But it's nearly impossible to enforce that.

God knows the RIAA is trying their damnedest to get their hooks into that pie.

This is a toughie...

Frankly I think you have outdone yourself. The torrent server was a bonus, everyone knew that. Without a download method, the raw basics are the only things in place. Sunny's point of view is not unique (I'm not entirely agreeing with him though). Many people, especially the listeners that do no sign up and contribute, share Sunny's opinion, I can guarantee that. So by offering a service, you're just giving a foothold for exploitation of a new service, if it's free of course.

If it's not free, however, what stops someone from subscribing, downloading a bunch of sets (if we take Config's idea) and just uploading them on a blog or ftp server and giving links to all the "normalies"? Nothing is the answer. Of course you'd say that's our problem, but then it comes back to the same thing. Anyone can easily record sets live anyways for free, it's not that difficult. There are so many loopholes in a system like this.

What I'm saying is, leave ah.fm the way it is right now. It should be the user's choice to donate or not and be supportive, and it should be the DJ's choice to publicly distribute his/her set, whether locally, or at their own expense/time. There are many problems that can arise with a system like that. This way, you wouldn't be spending money and the subscribers wouldn't be spending money for this system while people can easily exploit it for free.

As for the rare exceptions like t4e, with unparalleled levels of thoughfulness and selflessness..I'm not sure what you'd do..maybe instead of hosting a whole torrent website..just subscribe to a hoster and upload everything there..I'm pretty sure it's not as expensive.

Also..the whole idea of having more time space for new DJs can easily be done even without the on-demand..they do not relate to eachother..

firefox said that you cannot turn back the clock, and he is absolutely right. People who listen to sets here look for the download link provided by the DJ..or look at their myspace blogs or whaetver, and alot of the times you find them without much effort.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, just stating my opinion

Firefox_muc. It's okay to say it. It's not the F-Bomb. TAP, TAP, TAP, TAP. Like dancing on terrazzo tile.

I'm not entirely illegal. Only semi. I have the written permission of the DJ on file for every set I have, with the exceptions of the big AH events. And I'm not going to kill myself to try to get them anymore. It's just flat more than I can handle all by myself. EOYC 08 almost killed me to put that together for TAP. I still feel like I need a vacation. I won't be doing that again.

Dan can do this better than I will EVER be able to do. People think I'm the enemy for what I did. Not hardly. I'm one of AH's biggest fans. OBVIOUSLY. Or I wouldn't be busting my ass like I am. I love AfterHours. I love Dan and all the Staff. And I adore our DJs. Everything I do is for them. As soon as On Demand is viable and up and running, TAP closes. No one will need it anymore. Not even me.
    Last edited by The Cat Lady; Feb 5th, 2009 at 04:10.

♫ Pure Trance ♫ Puppet !! Joe-Shadows's Avatar

Nice Idea But !

Really The Discussion Goes Very Positive

In MY P.O.V ,,, @ First I Agree That Running The station Costs Dan Alot & AH is Not A Commercial Entity ,, it's 100% Free ,,, So I Agree On That AH.FM On Demand Payment But I may Not Use it !!!!

Talking as Accountant , Not A DJ or User Now !!!

I 've ManY Ideas On That :-

1- Make The On Demand Free for Listening Live @ The Website But Make The Download for Premium Users Or Instant Payment for One Set

2- Other Things Finance AH May be Good
    For Ex : Make A Record Label For Ah ,, AH has a great Name & many Resident Producer @ AH & 'll Hurry Up to Sign Thier Tracks in ... Also You Can Make Other Miscellenous Things On Store Like T-Shirts !! ( Caps , DVDs For AH shows , etc )

3- I Dont See DJs 've The Write To 've Money from That AH in Demand ! As The Whole Thing Promote Them !! & Anyway The Radio Station Idea is to rebroadcast What DJs Plays on Thier COncerts @ Radio , Spreading The Music .... etc , So DJs 've Other ways 2 Get Money By Doing Concerts Or Producing Tracks

4- AH.FM Sets May Be A Releases On BeatPort ,, BeatPort Sells Mixes ,,, Then Why Not AH. SEts Sold To beatport , & Dividing The Profits ( Beatport , AH , The DJ ) , That's Other Way For Financing Also !!!

5- Google Commercials Dont Annoy me @ All ,, Just installed The Add-Block From Firefox & it Dont appear

At Last All OF These 're Several Opinions By Me & I Really Appreciate What Dan Does For Us & we All 've to Thank Him For Bringing AH to Us & The Unlimited Work He Do ! , & Has The Write To Ask For Donations But He Dont , He Just Know That People Who Love Ah & Can Donate > 'll Donates

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

I hardly ever download any sets since I like to listen them "live" so I prolly wouldnt susbcribe the on demand service. If do need a set or 2 like once in 6 months time im pretty sure I can get then for free. And I actually think replays kinda cover the on demand listening system. The download service is totally different thing. I know theres ppl who wants get newest sets coz they do listen them in mp3 players or so its good for them I guess.

However its a step to a commercial playground direction and I dont like it. I think there is other better ways to cover costs like for example "a cost cover campaign" where u pay voluntarily some amount of money and get a t-shirt or so in return.
    Immoral Monkeys - Portobello (Adam Nickey remix)
    Adam Nickey - Shift
    Sunlounger feat. Zara - Lost

Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire

To pick shortly up some points Config and my great Friend TCL said...

i tell you what i think about DJs they didnt promote their self: Let them go *haha* not really but, hey...from my point i give every Set for Download for free on several places: My Social Group, in the Show Thread, via PM or Mail, sometimes on other Boards...yeah and if anybody asks me i give my set coz i love musik and want to that everybody can be with my sounds....OTHER DJs do NOT...never in Life ther is a Lange Set for free anywhere on that globe...coz his Management dontwant that...so pfff...i dont listen Lange ( its just an example i dont bash at him ;-) ...
    And as i said before... i see both or many sides of that

In general an ON DEMAND SYSTEM is a real great Service and maybe a hundred Users will use it. On Other Side then to make it really Exclusive the Replays have to go coz a intelligent user can record it live or the several replays..what is illegal but ppl do it ;-) ....and so comes the next step....they could do it the whole day without anybody knows...i know im talking about the black sheeps but they are those who kills every idea and service...

For me in General A ON DEMAND SYSTEM is a great thing
    The Problems to keep it as the idea said is really difficult and i dont know what will happen to AH when this comes arround....maybe a testing phase will give more information about how users will handle with that service

for an idea cozing on discussion about DJs, Producers etc....sure the producers need the money but: Do you really think the few buggs from an AH ON DEMAND SYSTEM will help ARMIN to produce a new track ??? Not really...the money comes from the labels etc and Producers make the contracts with the labels and then when song is aired they should get money for that IF IT IS A COMERCIAL RADIO STATION...in Internet Radio Business i never heard about a station who needs to pay for the Tracks they are aired there...so THIS could be a great chance to make AH the real no ONE...if there is collected Income from the ON DEMAND SYSTEM...and DAN will give a few bucks of that to a POT where the DJs and Producers on AH subscribe too he will make history coz then hes the First and Only Station Manager looking for the PPL they do the Musik...so maybe ate the end of year there is then a big pot and every Producer and DJ gets a lil money out of that....OR and other idea is to spend that to upcomming Talents...who knows

so at last...yes TO a ON DEMAND SYSTEM but then do replays down...make the shows bigger and went over to a 24/7 hour live Radio exclusive DJ set Station
    Life is a Soundtrack

www.defconrecordings.com Lazarus's Avatar
    OK, here's my two cents:

As TCL said, nothing is free. Free stuff on the internet is an illusion as someone somewhere is paying for it.

An on-demand service for AH would be costly, in terms of storage space and bandwidth, and it's safe to say that over the past year AH's bandwidth costs have probably doubled or so, given that the listeners seem to be double they were 12 months back, give or take.

On "normal" FM radio, there are two types - commercial radio which is funded by advertising, and public service radio which is funded by taxes (like the BBC for example).

I love the fact that AH is run for the love of the music and not for profit, which is why I've no problem being a supporter every month, but it's easy for me to say as I have a full time job and it's easy for me to pay through paypal. However, I know that there are others not in this position.

So for me the question is - "If the on-demand service were to exist, how would it be funded?" It's not fair to ask Dan to pay for everything because although he's a fantastic guy I'm sure he's neither a millionaire nor willing to bankrupt himself for the sake of online radio.

Hence I think these are the options we have:

• Make the on-demand service available only to subscribers for a fee (providing the fees cover the costs of the service itself)

• Make the on-demand service available to all in the hope that more people come to the site and donate to cover the costs of the service itself

• Don't make the on-demand service at all and leave things as they are now (as TCL says, a lot of sets you can acquire if your patience and googling skills are up to scratch)

• Increase the amount of advertising on the site and/or the stream itself

Out of the options I like the last one best as a long-term solution. We have a great community here and lots of listeners which makes us a good marketing spot for advertisers. It would mean perhaps 2-3 mins of adverts inbetween one-hour shows, or maybe 4-5 mins after 2 hour shows, so the DJs would each, say, have to play one less tune per set. But in the greater scheme of things, people listen to adverts on normal FM radio without a second thought and ensure them because it pays for everything else - likewise the same is true for TV.

You see, what is going to happen in the next few years is that internet radio is going to find it's way into people's cars, and when that happens, internet radio is going to become massive. And when it does, the bandwidth side of things is going to become a far bigger issue than on-demand services, but again, the question will be how it will be paid for. And the answer then, I believe, will be in advertising.
    New show time: Back From The Dead - Every 1st Monday 1900-2100 GMT (2000-2200 CET, 1400-1600 PST)
    Lazarus Twitter | Lazarus Facebook | Defcon Recordings website | Defcon Twitter
    SOUNDCLOUD

Quote Originally Posted by t4e View Post

well i don't really think you can generalize 'a DJ' like that. Not every dj is so lucky to play in clubs and at parties And the few times it might happen, it won't compensate the expenses of the tracks you're buying
    Crossing Borderlines / 2nd Saturday Monthly / 15 CET
    Facebook fanpage Config: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Confi...952313?fref=ts
    visit www.djconfig.com !
    and download my latest mixes !

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information