Dreas vs. Jared Knapp - Mixed Emotions [Red Force] // Review

KrisA

Registered
Reaction score
83359headerxm5.jpg

Andreas Lindell dissapeared from the scene of trance in 2005 and left his fans with memories of magical tunes like "Sonic Rush", "Genesis" and "Havannah". A new collaboration between Dreas and Mike Perry suddenly popped up, out of the blue in 2007. Their collab was named "Arctic Sweep" and hopeful fans were begging for more at this point. Dreas returned with a smashing 2-tracker on RecoverWorld's Eve Records, and this record caused quite a bit of hype. Around the end of 2008, another collaboration, Mormugao, saw the light of day thus heavy DJ support. Now Dreas' sees his second release on Steve Bolger's Red Force Reccordings. Yes, his second release. For those who missed it, Dreas released "Signs" back in 2008 and it was blessed with an unforgettable Akesson remix and a heavyweight trance remix by Senses. While Signs was a solo project, this is another collaboration and our Swedish friend teamed up with an up and coming producer from New Zealand by the name of Jared Knapp. The release comes with a version from Alex Robert and a Tech Blaster edit by Dreas himself. Read on to get a sneak preview of this new production called Mixed Emotions.
tnbigot3.jpg

1. Mixed Emotions (Original Mix) (7:52)
2. Mixed Emotions (Alex Robert Remix) (6:48)
3. Mixed Emotions (Dreas Tech Blaster) (8:04)

The Review
Dreas really upped his game with the amazing Mormugao. The amazing hook simply swallowed you whole. Let's see if this offers something just as good. This Original Mix starts out in a standard way with a solid kick and crisp trancey line, and topped of with a percussion loop. One thing triggers the other as the effects starts to set in. The tune builds nicely and though it has quite a few layers, it still feels spacious, without sounding empty. The simple and pounding bassline makes it perfect for the dancefloor and the breakdown offers just what every trancer could ask for. The mood and the synth craft somehow reminds me of Akesson - which is meant as a compliment.

One half of the Mormugao project is here with his Alex Robert Remix. Everything from kicks to percussion has been changed into something with a more progressive house feel. Alex takes one through a very pleasent melodic ride. The firm bassline gives this progressive tune a bit of a more big room appeal and the technical side is spot on. If you liked Simon Patterson's Different Feeling, then this will be right up your alley.

Dreas takes it away with his Tech Blaster. I usually fear these kind off tech tryouts. Dreas did a good job though and the result is very pleasing. He keeps it an upliting level but adds a better drive with the bassline. While listening to this track and before I reach the core of the track, I feel teased and pleased at the same time. I am begging for melodies to start pouring down on me but I am also sucked into the fantastic atmosphere - an atmosphere I rarely come accross in trance tracks these days. The breakdown in this version and the original is alike but a few of the synth lines are removed here which means that the beautiful pads get to shine. The breakdown somehow has a much greater impact on me, both because of the beautiful simplicity and the tension he has managed to build so elegantly.

The Verdict
What a wonderful release! I expected the original to be my favourite and it was for the first two listens. Things were quickly turned all the way around. Alex Robert has created quite a progressive monster. I'm in love with the perfect balance between the trancey melodies and more housey use of drums and percussion. Still he keeps the bottom-end rather heavy and therefore it will still work in a trance set. The Tech Blaster is a bit of a monster. Exactly the kind of explosion I love to end my own sets with. To sum it all up, this release gets a good 8/10. It perfectly reflects what Red Force Recordings is about and it has some pleasent surprises. I would say that all mixes are worth a listen and the Alex Robert Remix is my favourite.

Releasedate: 16.03.2009

Websites:
Red Force Recordings.com
Dreas - www.dreasmusic.com - Trance - DJ / Producer / Resident at Club Peak

Myspace:
Red Force Recordings on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
Dreas on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
http://www.myspace.com/jaredknapp
Alex Robert on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

1. Mixed Emotions (Original Mix) - best mix, i love the bassline!

2. Mixed Emotions (Alex Robert Remix) - sounds 100% like Simon Patterson - Different Feelings

3. Mixed Emotions (Dreas Tech Blaster) (8:04) - not bad, sounds bit like tyas as well.

1. Mixed Emotions (Original Mix) - best mix, i love the bassline!

2. Mixed Emotions (Alex Robert Remix) - sounds 100% like Simon Patterson - Different Feelings

3. Mixed Emotions (Dreas Tech Blaster) (8:04) - not bad, sounds bit like tyas as well.

that's true :) I love the original and Dreas remix the most

been wanting to hear the Dreas Tech Blaster one.:grinning2: i hope the song is what the name is. Blaster. lol

Yes I must say you definately hit the nail on the head with the Alex Robert Remix.

Sounds like Simon probably got some $$ for this too :)

differentfeelingmixedemr.jpg

Yes I must say you definately hit the nail on the head with the Alex Robert Remix.

Sounds like Simon probably got some $$ for this too :)

differentfeelingmixedemr.jpg

haha wow! same structure! :lol: cant stop laughing! nice pic!

maybe simon produced it for alex robert...

original mix best.

i tought Dreas Tech Blaster was going to kick ass, but no!! dj choose still best at tech!

Back