Help finding cdj's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior

Registered
Reaction score
ive been seriously looking and thinking about getting a pair of cdj's. just dont know how to look for them. looking for something cheap and good for right now. how much would 2 cdj's and a mixer cost me and what a good and trusted place to get them. the ones ive seen have ranged from 1,000 to 4,000 for just a single cd'j. :pso how much would a whole set and cheap one cost me?
help very much appreciated for this noob:mask::ee:

there's a few well known brands to choose from...

pioneer: de-facto industry standard, as pretty much every club has a pair of cdj-1000s around. cdj-800 and cdj-400 will also give you great quality, but they are still pretty pricy. the beginner models are the cdj-100 and cdj-200, both lacking some of the quality of the higher model and the cdj-100 also lacking most features, being the cheapest of the bunch. they're still excellent beginner models though, but after a while you will feel the need to upgrade.

denon: competing hard with pioneer, they also have some good models around. they aren't really a lot cheaper than pioneer though, and i found that their handling is very different from pioneer. so overall good players, but i personally don't see the advantage over pioneer (neither price wise nor feature wise). the simplest model is the s1000, higher models are s1200, s3500 and hs5500.

numark: has some low-end cheap models that provide decent quality and feature-set. i'm not a big fan of numark, but i know some people that spin with them and are quite good with them. their most basic model is the axis 4, with the axis 9 being the higher model, both cheaper than the cdj-100, with the latter having a relative high feature set already.

vestax: the last brand i can think of that sees relative wide-spread use and offers decent quality. the cdx05 has a moderate price and offers a good feature set.

the lowest price of all those is 200 euro here, for something more decent you should probably think around 300-350 per piece. as for mixer, for a beginner pretty much any 2-channel dj mixer should do, as long as it provides the basic features (3-band eq per channel, seperate cue for each channel) and doesn't have behringer written on it. the numark dxm06 is quite popular, vestax also has some low-end but usable mixers.

if you're really short on money, there's another option: get a dual-cdj. there's some pretty cheap models, but i don't think you'd be happy with those.

as for finding where to get them, no idea what the options are in mexico. having them imported is probably a bad idea due to customs. consider checking ebay, both for used and new stuff. resale value is usually quite high.

actually in in the U.S. i can maybe have a 1500 dollar limit, what can i get with that? i want at least the 2 players and the mixer.

for 1500 bucks you can get a pretty good package already... for example two denon s1200 for ~500 each, or two numark axis9 for ~300 each, plus something like the numark dxm01 for ~300, or maybe even the pioneer djm-400 for ~600.

for 1500 bucks you can get a pretty good package already... for example two denon s1200 for ~500 each, or two numark axis9 for ~300 each, plus something like the numark dxm01 for ~300, or maybe even the pioneer djm-400 for ~600.
also mixer included or buy separate? also does it come with cabling or do i buy them separate?

DFX has arguably covered the hardware issue mate - personally the best advice I can give is that you don't buy sub-standard in order to save money, especially if you're going to use them a lot. I have the Pioneers as they're better than any other make I've used, although I think the 1000's are an extravagance compared to the 800's, which are fine.

Mixers aren't included unless you're buying what they'd call a "full set-up package" which some places do. Cabling should come with them as standard, though you'd be surprised how few cables you need - just red and white audio leads to go from deck to mixer (which should be included).

You will also need red and white audio leads to go from mixer to amp (and speaker wire for amp to speakers, if that's how it's set up). If you want to run it all through your computer though it will depend on your soundcard, though unless you have a big external soundcard, all you should need is one of these:

c216_042p2.gif

Then you can record from mixer to computer and make mixes for everyone to enjoy :grinning:

I'm rubbish at explaining these things though so let us know if you need any more pointers lol :grinning2:

DFX has arguably covered the hardware issue mate - personally the best advice I can give is that you don't buy sub-standard in order to save money, especially if you're going to use them a lot. I have the Pioneers as they're better than any other make I've used, although I think the 1000's are an extravagance compared to the 800's, which are fine.

i agree with all of that. if you have the money and are ready to spend it and (most importantly) are fully serious about DJing, go with quality, and that means pioneer. only reason why i spelled out the alternatives is because some people just don't have the money, and/or aren't sure yet if they really want to get into DJing. in those cases, the cheaper brands are an alternative. (personally i started off with a cheapo reloop mixer and cdj-100s. it was good for getting started, but after about 2 years i felt the need to upgrade and so i did.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back