Enjoy it!

DJ Name: Arada
How long you have been a DJ: Since February 2009
Style of music played: Classic Trance

01 Robert Miles - Children (Dream Version) 7:34
02 Salt Tank - Eugina (DJ Tiesto Remix) 6:35
03 Scooter - Rhapsody in E 6.14
04 Paul van Dyk - For An Angel 6:08
05 Armin van Buuren feat. Justine Suissa - Burned with Desire (Rising Star Remix) 8:40
06 Oceanlab feat. Justine suissa - Satellite (Above & Beyond Club Remix) 7:34
07 Signalrunners Aria Epica 5:14
08 ATB - You're Not alone (2nd Clubb Mix) 7:22
09 Sven Vaeth - Face It 7:50

Zippyshare.com - Classic Trance Session 2 by Arada.mp3

Okay. Track selection, again, it's massive. I loved hearing every track.

Transitions ... uh. Well. Okay.

1. Awful
2. Pretty decent
3. Almost had it
4. Uh, no
5. No, no
6. Not bad
7. Awful
8. Not bad

I understand what you were trying to do, but the fades weren't working very well for you most of the time. Practice beat matching. Just do that and NOTHING more. Your feelings on track selection are dead on perfect, so is your sense of what track should go where. It's just the "technical" aspects of the mixing is where you need to concentrate. Okay? Practice. Practice. Practice. When you can DO it, make us another set. (kiss) :love::music::cat:

Fades? What is that??
*smile*
Well, that's what i have to figure out correctly, i have to learn Virtual DJ much better!
Yes, i will go on and do more "Sets"!

And what shall i do with the notice??
Well, the Tutor Site seems to be for starting DJ's with the right Equipment, but i haven't the money for it...
What about real Feedback?

as he says, you can do the same with software too. vdj even shows you where the beats are, just gotta align them to each other. you can just play two tracks over each other, it will sound crap.

Yea, but i have to know how exactly i have to do it with Virtual DJ, that's my point!

i think giving a complete guide on how to mix properly with vdj would be way too big for here. others have figured it out themselves, i'm sure you can do so too. plus, there's already plenty of guides on the net. i can only tell you so much that the SYNC button does wonders.

the reason why i gave those links is that i think you don't really know what a proper EDM DJ does, what beatmatching means etc.. those videos explain it quite nicely, and you can do all that with vdj alone too.

dfx, your 2nd paragraph sounds a bit arrogant.
Would i have turntables and a mixer it wouldn't be not a big problem to me, i guess.
The Sync-Button is very good, yep, same BpM and that's the whole set, same BpM.
I know and have heard that my transitions need fading, that's what i have to figure out when and how exactly to do.

Thanks t4e, the second Link can be an effort to me.
The first one is about a DJ-Console, which i haven't.

a very good source on how i learned to mix properly is by reading John 00 Fleming's guide on learning to mix.

click me

So, i have listened to old Sets with Trance and other electronic music, there are often no clubmix-style transitions and not even clubmix-style version splayed!
Not even by Paul van Dyk!
You cannot compare old Trance with today's Trance with it's clubmix-style versions!

not sure what you're talking about, the basics of mixing haven't changed in the last 20 years or so (probably even more like 30).

Last edited:
@Arada

As i remeber you said some weeks ago, you have done Radio i guess:mask:

So atm for mee it seems that you dont listen to what ppl are trying to tell you.

Its absolutely equal in wich way you try to do mixing, if software or hardware, the techniques of mixing are always the same.

you have track 1 and want to go over to track 2. To make that a GOOD transition you have to start roundabout 1 min before track 1 is over to blend in track 2...maybe softly ( fading ) or hard ( crossfading ). Really necessary to sound good is, that track 2 has exactly the same speed and beat as track 1 ( you ned to pitch it until it matches exactly ) AND the beat itself ( maybe 4/16 or 4/32 or easiest 4/4 ) of BOTH tracks has to be on the same beatpoint exactly...means the first beat of the beatloop have to be at the sam point...then you can fade in/out or crossfade.

DJ Tutor is a real good tutorial AND on the page of DJ Tutor are also links to pages where is explained how to do with Virtual DJ.

So all over you have to understand what fading/ mixing/blending really is...after that you can start to mix

a lil tip: Tryout the things, ppl want top help you:wink: and noone wants to be arrogant...its more that you sound bit "aro" coz you dont listen to what real successfull DJs try to tell you :wink:

so lean back...free your mind of what you think is right and start to listen what DJs try to tell you...

believe me ...here are somePPL they know exactly how DJing works....trust them...learn from them...

cheers:friends:

Thanks Jay and sorry that it sounded a bit arrogant from me.
But i just have to big problems doing it only with the software and that makes me crazy!
That's why i have given up until i can get hardware equipment, i think i can learn it better then.

try this in vdj, in exactly this order (deck A is left, deck B is right):

1) click on the time display for both deck A and deck B to switch it over to "time remaining" display, as opposed to the default "time elapsed" display. (the time display is next to the bpm display)
2) load up a track on deck A and start playing it.
3) load up another track on deck B, but don't start playing yet.
4) pull the line fader of deck B all the way down. (the line fader is the big vertical fader, below the 3 eq knobs)
5) click on the PFL button of deck B. it will light up red.
6) click and drag the waveform display (top part of the screen). the red part (track in deck B) will move left and right as you drag it around with the mouse. the blue part is the track in deck A, which will continue playing as you drag the red part. drag the red part until the center white line is exactly on the first beat, which is the first red big spike.
7) click the sync button on deck B once. nothing obvious will happen, but you have to do it anyway.
8) wait until deck A shows a time remaining of 2:00 minutes. listen carefully to the playing music and try to find a good spot where you can start the new track off. a good spot will usually be at around 1:30 remaining. (don't worry about this part too much yet, for a beginner you can use any spot)
9) RIGHT click on the sync button on deck B when you want to kick it off. try it hit the button exactly on the spot (refering to the currently playing track) where you think kicking it off will be good. the track in deck B will start playing, but you won't hear it.
10) slowly bring the line fader of deck B up. you will hear the track fading in. it should be in beat.
11) once you got the line fader fully up, you can start bringing the other line fader (deck A) slowly down.
12) once the other line fader is fully down, you can load up another track on deck A and prepare for the next transition. start it all over again (beginning at step 3), but reversing deck A and deck B and also the blue and red stuff)

good luck.

Last edited:

Back