Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRANCEXPRESS 10 - MARCH 2009

finished with it now, great s from start to end, good job
    http://dfx.at/sets/ :: http://myspace.com/dfx_dj

Quote Originally Posted by dfx View Post
    ok, im past a few transitions now, and the verdict is: it didn't

with the way picco is doing the transitions, it's hardly noticeable to an untrained ear, and it will probably go past unnoticed most listeners. however as i said elsewhere, it's a part he needs to get right in order to bring his mixing to the next level.

it's really hard to get it across in writing only. i'll try to write it up in a new thread (while continuing listening to this excellent set ) maybe other people have suggestions on how to explain it better.

// http://forum.ah.fm/djs-producers-cor...inning-dj.html

you right, i didn't, i tried, but it's a bit difficult judging that while the track is going with the risk missing the transition, sometimes we need to think faster, well, what i am trying to do is smooth transitions, it's a style i like, not dropping the next track suddenly or doing a really fast transition as big dj's names usually do, and i hate to repeat the mix again with the same tracks over and over, first take and done.

but anyway i thank you for your advises and tips dfx

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett View Post
    Piccoli, i've been listening to your set for the last two hours, and... aww, man, it's great! pure, uplifting, melodic music. i like this kind of trance very much and sometimes miss it. progressive, tech-trance, electro? ok, but there's nothing better than melodic trance. and your set contains only great uplifting tunes

Where can i vote? (massive of course )

Waiting for your next set. May the Force be with you! (and bananas too )

scarlett!!!

thank you for your feedback, you know my style is and was always melodic trance since i started to listen EDM music back in the 80's and 90's

You can have sure i'll keep you informed for the next set i will do

and the always with me

Quote Originally Posted by piccoli View Post
    you right, i didn't, i tried, but it's a bit difficult judging that while the track is going with the risk missing the transition, sometimes we need to think faster
    fully understand that, it's all a matter of practice. check out the thread i made, take the time to do it all through. in the end, you will understand what i'm talking about. practice it until you get the hang of it, practice with single transitions only, two tracks only, don't need to try to do a full set with that technique at first.

what i am trying to do is smooth transitions, it's a style i like, not dropping the next track suddenly or doing a really fast transition as big dj's names usually do
    well, in what way you do the transitions doesn't really matter. what i mentioned the last time with the bass cutting and stuff was just an example, you should always pay attention to the bars no matter how you're mixing in particular. again, try doing my guide to the end and then listening to some other sets. you'll see that all djs do it like this, and for a very good reason!

and i hate to repeat the mix again with the same tracks over and over, first take and done.
    fully understand that too, i'm that way myself that's why you can practice with two tracks only, doesn't take a lot of time and it's enough to grasp the whole idea of it.
    http://dfx.at/sets/ :: http://myspace.com/dfx_dj

Standing at the edge of time. (Actually Finland)
    Great job piccoli , was very nice
    Follow me on http://www.facebook.com/DjTeroA | http://www.twitter.com/DjTeroA

you right, i didn't, i tried, but it's a bit difficult judging that while the track is going with the risk missing the transition, sometimes we need to think faster, well, what i am trying to do is smooth transitions, it's a style i like, not dropping the next track suddenly or doing a really fast transition as big dj's names usually do, and i hate to repeat the mix again with the same tracks over and over, first take and done.

but anyway i thank you for your advises and tips dfx
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx View Post
    fully understand that, it's all a matter of practice. check out the thread i made, take the time to do it all through. in the end, you will understand what i'm talking about. practice it until you get the hang of it, practice with single transitions only, two tracks only, don't need to try to do a full set with that technique at first.

well, in what way you do the transitions doesn't really matter. what i mentioned the last time with the bass cutting and stuff was just an example, you should always pay attention to the bars no matter how you're mixing in particular. again, try doing my guide to the end and then listening to some other sets. you'll see that all djs do it like this, and for a very good reason!

fully understand that too, i'm that way myself that's why you can practice with two tracks only, doesn't take a lot of time and it's enough to grasp the whole idea of it.

Hello Picco, thanks for the fantastic set! I'll not spend much words on the track selection because it was massive! Lots of favourites and even some new ones to me came to my ears Really enjoyed it yesterday!

But maybe I can add a small hint to what's written already by DFX...
    I think you composed the tracklist in advance precisely, which track would fit behind which other track, because the transitions aren't bad qua harmony in general Random picking tracks can easily destroy transitions... Thats why I'm actually never making a set out of the blue

But when you did this maybe it's good to spend a very little time more and set cuepoints in VDJ before you mix the whole set... Thus load the tracklist in advance and determine the place where you want to mix in advance. Stop the playing desk at that particular point and hit button 2 or 3 (under hot cue) there. (Not 1 because when putting the track up it automatically starts then at cuepoint 1.) Just below the track title you then see a white flag occur and when playing you'll see the cue coming up, such that you know where to start the next one. Is only for remembering thus

Well... Actually VDJ helps in fact a little bit in determine the place where to start a next track... Look e.g. at the following image:

You can mostly immediately deduce from the track structure (if it's mastered well) where the important points are. It's not always a guarantee (there are also exceptions but they're rather few... ) E.g. the track Steve Anderson - Neve [Instrumental Mix] which actually fits well behind this one (with some necessary nasty looping tricks) has a different starting structure. This may confuse you in determining the cuepoint in this track, which is actually set here correctly.

In this track you started the next one at 64 beats + 4 bars = 80 beats from the arrow in the image. Although it's a better place then at 76 beats from the arrow it is better to have it just at 64 beats from the arrow ;)

Maybe it's a good advice to have a very techy track as second in which happens almost nothing but is built up in the right structure as measure staff, with which you can easily deduce if you've putted the cuepoints at the right points. Don't use the fader then but listen just what happens and if everything changes on the right moment. Keep trying!

After all I'm very glad to have listened to your set! Really after !! And you know, we write these advices only to help you up to at least next the stars!

Actually I must confess that I'm sometimes deliberately a bad boy in this... It sometimes gives a funny effect when not mixing at k*64 beats from the end, but at (k*64)+32 beats from the end, lol
    Last edited by marco18; Mar 23rd, 2009 at 23:31.
    :ah:

jayr.eunostos.com thats my spot also.

amazing set Piccoli just heard it today.

AH.FM Station Cat Become a supporter now The Cat Lady's Avatar
    OMFG. That tracklist is fantastic. Downloading it now. (kiss)
    Janet Elaine Lemoncelli Halpin
    December 18, 1935 - March 14, 2017
    I love you, Mom. I will miss you.

martian trance addict DJ Eunostos's Avatar
    Thnx piccoli bro!!!!

I am downloading now

Last set was good. track list looks massive:

looking forward this song, Mobilize is producing choons \o/

4-Mobilize - Oasis (Mesmerized Remix)

will be back with a review
    Facebook Twitter DJ Eunostos Mexico.

I am Downloading your set Carlos
    I'm sure it will be good!

I live with ET !

martian trance addict DJ Eunostos's Avatar
    Very good set piccoli. good track selection, i liked you included some danceable tracks here each song is melodic and i can hear you took your time to select them, very nice. transitions ok, some clap sounds but nothing to worry about

Massive stuff.

looking forward your next work piccoli
    Facebook Twitter DJ Eunostos Mexico.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information