A Journey to Netherlands, the "home" of trance music.

Tarek

Registered
Reaction score
So I got this assignment recently that basically says, create a presentation of an organized "pilgrimage". It does not have to be religious. it can be a completely personal pilgrimage. Well, I thought it would be interesting to count a journey to a Trance Energy event as a pilgrimage. It would be an "artistic pilgrimage" right? Since a pilgrimage can transform a person physically,psychologically or emotionally, it fits, since trance music is a genre that is interpreted differently by everyone. So by going to the biggest trance event in the world and meeting people with the same musical tastes would certainly be a pilgrimage, with an added plus of discovering a new country in a completely different continent.

What d'you guys think :p? I'm not really asking for help here..I don't see any banner here saying Homework Help. But I just thought I'd throw that out here and see what you guys think. Do you agree that this could be considered a non-religious artistic pilgrimage?

Last edited:
first, i was gonna comment on your choice for the "home of trance" country, than i noticed the sub header and took the liberty of changing the man title to Netherlands too, i think you intended to say that but couldn't EDIT the title anymore :ee
let me know if my assumption is wrong and i can change it back to "Germany"

as for the "pilgrimage"...i guess you could stretch it out consider it a non-religious artistic pilgrimage if you plan on going to some event that is being held each year at the same place

while typing it just occurred to me that Jaarbeurs Convention Center in Utrecht is the place that hosted, and still does, a lot of huge events, a visit there would certainly qualify as a non-religious artistic pilgrimage :)

first, i was gonna comment on your choice for the "home of trance" country, than i noticed the sub header and took the liberty of changing the man title to Netherlands too, i think you intended to say that but couldn't EDIT the title anymore :ee
let me know if my assumption is wrong and i can change it back to "Germany"

as for the "pilgrimage"...i guess you could stretch it out consider it a non-religious artistic pilgrimage if you plan on going to some event that is being held each year at the same place

while typing it just occurred to me that Jaarbeurs Convention Center in Utrecht is the place that hosted, and still does, a lot of huge events, a visit there would certainly qualify as a non-religious artistic pilgrimage :)

Yeah the Germany thing was a mistake...I was thinking of the first trance producer from Germany..so thanks for the correction..I thought no one would notice after I'd changed the title of the thread :p

That's what I thought...I just got a little worried it was work wasted because classmates had done theirs on known people (Jesus,Ryan's Well, etc etc) or their own personal trip to a cottage or something of the sort. The genre of trance not being too well known around here might spark a bit of interest..but then again..the people I've tried to introduce trance to have dismissed it as "just being extremely long techno".

Thanks alot for the input though..because I wasn't sure what would be considered a pilgrimage or not.

Oh yeah, since this'll be a mass intro to trance for them (audience)..I'm gonna be playing a track for them..I was thinking Pandora (Blizzard Remix) since it's a pretty simple tune..but if you have suggestions then go ahead :)

Thanks again . I've clarified with many other people (teachers, doctors,etc) if it would be considered a pilgrimage, and they said it would be (and quite an interesting one, they added). :music:

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. Would it be inaccurate to say that Trance is alot more known in the Netherlands than in Canada? Could I even say that trance is part of their culture..in a far fetched way?

Last edited:
/snip

Oh yeah, since this'll be a mass intro to trance for them (audience)..I'm gonna be playing a track for them..I was thinking Pandora (Blizzard Remix) since it's a pretty simple tune..but if you have suggestions then go ahead :)

Thanks again . I've clarified with many other people (teachers, doctors,etc) if it would be considered a pilgrimage, and they said it would be (and quite an interesting one, they added). :music:

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. Would it be inaccurate to say that Trance is alot more known in the Netherlands than in Canada? Could I even say that trance is part of their culture..in a far fetched way?

personally i would go with a classic, and my suggestion may seem biased to those that know this is my all time favorite because is the track that got me into trance, but that aside i think its something that will be received better by your non trance fans :music:...and that track is:

Chicane - Saltwater

Original Release Date: October 31, 2000

[youtube]FRuPOk7olg8[/youtube]

well, trance has been in NL longer than it has in Canada, at this point tho i think is very well known here too...and, yes in a sense it is part of NL's culture with so many DJ's comiing from there as well as all the mega events they hold each year

Good Luck!!!

i would actually like t read your final paper, if you don't mind :)

Last edited:
personally i would go with a classic, and my suggestion may seem biased to those that know this is my all time favorite because is the track that got me into trance, but that aside i think its something that will be received better by your non trance fans :music:...and that track is:

Chicane - Saltwater

Original Release Date: October 31, 2000

[youtube]FRuPOk7olg8[/youtube]

well, trance has been in NL longer than it has in Canada, at this point tho i think is very well known here too...and, yes in a sense it is part of NL's culture with so many DJ's comiing from there as well as all the mega events they hold each year

Good Luck!!!

i would actually like t read your final paper, if you don't mind :)

It's really a paper answering questions about the pilgrimage coupled with a powerpoint presentation. I also will be adding a little extra (the Trance Energy 09 video) to the presentation..to give them an idea of what it would be like. I honestly am thinking of going along with the "pilgrimage" to the Netherlands for Trance Energy when I'll be of age to do so :p

No problem if you wanna see the ppt and the paper. When I'm done I'll send them.

btw, you really think trance is known here in Canada? 1 in like 40 people I ask know what trance is. I'm guessing 1 in 100 actually appreciate it and 1 in a lot of people enjoy it.

But that's just me. I've never found anyone in real that enjoys trance as much as I do.

btw, you really think trance is known here in Canada? 1 in like 40 people I ask know what trance is. I'm guessing 1 in 100 actually appreciate it and 1 in a lot of people enjoy it.

But that's just me. I've never found anyone in real that enjoys trance as much as I do.

in Toronto they do, you should see The Guvernment every time there's a big name DJ its packed and people actually know the tracks being played

also Alberta has a pretty good trance scene :music:

Bleh..I guess the french in Quebec like the techno/electro more..heck..even if it is techno or whatever else they don't really know the tracks..they just know that they like it..

I can't believe I'm ranting about this.

Back