International Date Format (ISO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AutomaticJack

Registered
Reaction score
I love AH.FM, and I appreciate all of the hard work the staff has put into the station and this forum.

I hate to complain, but I have one small request - could you guys consider adapting the International Date Format for the site? Here in the states I am used to reading dates as MM-DD-YYYY and it's throwing me off when a date is posted as DD-MM-YYYY.

Does anyone else have an opinion? Is this a valid request or n00b BS on my part?

The ISO date format
The international format defined by ISO (ISO 8601) tries to address all these problems by defining a numerical date system as follows: YYYY-MM-DD where

YYYY is the year [all the digits, i.e. 2012]
MM is the month [01 (January) to 12 (December)]
DD is the day [01 to 31]
For example, "3rd of April 2002", in this international format is written: 2002-04-03

-------
i'd stick to this format :]

I love AH.FM, and I appreciate all of the hard work the staff has put into the station and this forum.

I hate to complain, but I have one small request - could you guys consider adapting the International Date Format for the site? Here in the states I am used to reading dates as MM-DD-YYYY and it's throwing me off when a date is posted as DD-MM-YYYY.

Does anyone else have an opinion? Is this a valid request or n00b BS on my part?

hello mate, thanks for the question.. we use ISO format reversed... normal format ISO is: YYYY-MM-DD Afterhours.FM format we use: DD-MM-YYYY, reason is mainly scripts and systems purposes.

This syntax was created at the beginning of AH.FM, and kinda left at it... its easy to remember tho, Day Month Year.

I know that wont help you, but its our explanation.
Cheers mate

The ISO date format
The international format defined by ISO (ISO 8601) tries to address all these problems by defining a numerical date system as follows: YYYY-MM-DD where

YYYY is the year [all the digits, i.e. 2012]
MM is the month [01 (January) to 12 (December)]
DD is the day [01 to 31]
For example, "3rd of April 2002", in this international format is written: 2002-04-03

-------
i'd stick to this format :]

here in Portugal we use like that "2009-05-28":)

hello mate, thanks for the question.. we use ISO format reversed... normal format ISO is: YYYY-MM-DD Afterhours.FM format we use: DD-MM-YYYY, reason is mainly scripts and systems purposes.

This syntax was created at the beginning of AH.FM, and kinda left at it... its easy to remember tho, Day Month Year.

I know that wont help you, but its our explanation.
Cheers mate

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to explain things. I'll do my best to remember it's ISO reversed. :grinning:

For me now it's perfect, it's naturally, beacuse in Poland we use format DD-MM-YYYY. Sometimes I have a problem, with DD-MM or MM-DD ? But I remember since hmm... 2 years about format o date: DD-YY-MMMM. Few days ago Dan explain me, which time zone is used on the forum: CET. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back