Tracklist Terms Definitions

Wailo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello trance addicts :wave: this is my first thread ever on this forum, which I hope it will be useful for many EDM beginners (like me!) I want to read you expert definitions of the common tracklist terms that we come across in every single tracklist.

Although some terms are self-explanatory, your input will add more.

This is the list as I could recall for now, please explain them in clear words and brief sentences, in a way that any regular listener can easily differentiate them by just listening to an EDM track.

If I missed any term, please post it.

Here is the list:

Remix

a different musical interpretation of the original track with other instruments but always the same notes in the main parts or main melody
Space Garden

Bootleg

Bootleg is a remix that was made without having any rights to do it. It can't be released.
labielecki

Edit

Mashup

Intro mix

Extended mix

Club mix

like the name says its for the clubs, means it has powerful driving bassline,rolling percs and drums and no long breaks with 3-4 mins strings pads parts.
Space Garden

Dub mix

Never has full vocals, only cuts or minimal ones or even no vocals and the bassline is deeper sometimes
Space Garden

Instrumental Mix:

exact the same like the vocal version just without the vocals,
sometimes ppl think dub is the same as instrumental, but it isnt :)
Space Garden

Radio Edit

its a edit with no buildup, starts with the mainpart goes straight into the break and back to the mainpart, then no real outro - most radio edits are 3 - 4 mins long
the intro and outro are for the djs to mix it better because they need 2 mins to mix a new track in and on the radio its boring to hear 2 mins only drums and a filtered bass comes in before the mainpart starts
Space Garden

Tech dub

Drum dub

[CD-R]

Just means the Track, Production, Remix is not signed to a label or just not released in any store yet - the DJ put it on a CD and plays them for promotion or exclusive on his set
Space Garden

-------------------------------------

:hug:

Last edited:
CD-R:

Just means the Track, Production, Remix is not signed to a label or just not released in any store yet - the DJ put it on a CD and plays them for promotion or exclusive on his set

Dub Mix:

Never has full vocals, only cuts or minimal ones or even no vocals and the bassline is deeper sometimes

Instrumental Mix:

exact the same like the vocal version just without the vocals,

sometimes ppl think dub is the same as instrumental, but it isnt :)

Remix:

a different musical interpretation of the original track with other instruments but always the same notes in the main parts or main melody

Club Mix:

like the name says its for the clubs, means it has poweful driving bassline,rolling percs and drums and no long breaks with 3-4 mins strings pads parts.

Radio Edit:

its a edit with no buildup, starts with the mainpart goes straight into the break and back to the mainpart, then no real outro - most radio edits are 3 - 4 mins long

the intro and outro are for the djs to mix it better because they need 2 mins to mix a new track in and on the radio its boring to hear 2 mins only drums and a filtered bass comes in before the mainpart starts

Thanks you Space Garden for your input :good: I am also curious to know the deferences of remix Vs bootleg :book:

Bootleg is a remix that was made without having any rights to do it. It can't be released.

Thanks labielecki :good:

All answers are added to the first post :book:

----------- edit --------------

I am no longer able to edit the first post...

Last edited:
Edit:

Generally when a DJ makes an edit of a tune to make it more friendly for their sets, a frequent exponent of this is Markus Schulz.

Mashup:

2 tracks (or sometimes more) made into one track. Essentially most of these remain bootlegs, however on occaisions these do get signed & released. One that springs to mind is the recent 1000 Miles Memories by Gareth Emery and also the Perspective Space by Markus Schulz.

Intro Mix:

This generally has a longer introduction to the track than the Original Mix, usually used by DJ's to begin their sets.

Many thanks Victoria for the infos :friends:

The list is almost complete, looking for more inputs:book:

Extended mix
Tech dub
Drum dub

:fishing:

Extended Mix

I think it'a longer version of radio edit but not sure - needs vouch. :unsure:

Extended Mix

I think it'a longer version of radio edit but not sure - needs vouch. :unsure:

...or longer than the Original, probably more DJ friendly to mix

Thanks you guys!

Yes, I forgot about "Rework"

Rework
Tech dub
Drum dub

Rework

This is an odd one, kind of like an "unofficial" remix - as in one not made as part of the release. However, this isn't always the case. On some occasions I've noticed that it's used when people don't use any of the original midi from the original tune.

In general though, it's a special version of a track that someone will generally make for their own sets, so that it will fit in better, as it will be in the same style as their other stuff.

Tech dub

This is just an indicator of the style of the remix. A producer might do an uplifting remix and a techy remix to appeal to different audiences. The "dub" part of it will mean that they won't have used the vocals from the original tune.

Drum dub

As above really - it means that the style of the remix will be a tribal/techno sort of thing, focussing mainly on percussion. :music:

Rework

This is an odd one, kind of like an "unofficial" remix - as in one not made as part of the release. However, this isn't always the case. On some occasions I've noticed that it's used when people don't use any of the original midi from the original tune.

In general though, it's a special version of a track that someone will generally make for their own sets, so that it will fit in better, as it will be in the same style as their other stuff.

Rework used to be used long time in past and in nowadays REMIX change it. Or its mean exactly like that. Producer made track and then he changed his mind with some parts of this track and also reworked them (like me with MYRAH tune). Then he could release both versions, original and changed "reworked" mix.

Mashup

A mix between two tracks. Sometimes the vocals of one track are used in a second track. Other times whole instrumental parts are mixed in another track.

Rework

Tech dub

This is just an indicator of the style of the remix. A producer might do an uplifting remix and a techy remix to appeal to different audiences. The "dub" part of it will mean that they won't have used the vocals from the original tune.

Drum dub

As above really - it means that the style of the remix will be a tribal/techno sort of thing, focussing mainly on percussion. :music:

Rework used to be used long time in past and in nowadays REMIX change it. Or its mean exactly like that. Producer made track and then he changed his mind with some parts of this track and also reworked them (like me with MYRAH tune). Then he could release both versions, original and changed "reworked" mix.

Thank you Ronny K and Lazarus for your input, still a bit grey about Rework

Rework

Fausto and Artento Divini - Lupara (Salman Rework)

Remix is if I would haved added my own stuff to...but instead I took Divini's version....used his intro and outro beats with the tune he had made...and then sent it back to him :)

He was very happy :)

but I could be wrong :lol:

Thanks to Salman for his input,

Reading Lazarus, Ronny K and Salman REWORK description VS Space Garden remix description, you guys making more clearer now. Thanks you!

Back