Thread: Coming to New York

Universal Language

Coming to New York

Hey guys,
    I'm coming to New York in Dec/January at the end of this year, and I have a few questions.

I know its winter for you guys, but over the new year period - does it usually snow? Or does the snow come a little later in January (or earlier in Dec)?

How much is a horse & carraige ride in Central Park? I've been prices on the net that vary from $40US to $90US+ - I'm just wondering if this is the normal price, or the tourist trap price?

And does the horse & carriage thing happen in winter? Or is it a spring/summer thing only?

Thanks guys!
    Download @ DreamensioN.net
    Podcast Subscribe @ Feedburner

winter in the northeast expecting snow would not be a bad bet. at least plan on the possibility.

as to the carraige rides i live on the other side of the country

come to Seattle, we have a Space Needle
    I'm Baaaaaaaack!

It was still pretty cold when I went in March one year, only around 0-3c. However the year prior to me going a friend had gone in the same week and it was 20c lol. Definitely get some warm winter clothing for Dec/Jan.
    Empire State Building view is stunning, I'd advise doing it during the day and at night for spectacular views. It WILL be cold up there!

Restaurant tip: The Modern
    which is nearby to the Museum of Modern Art, hence why they called it The Modern

+ Papillon Bistro & Bar
    Which is a block away from the above restaurant
    Weekly Essentials - Mondays 7pm Eastern http://www.facebook.com/weeklyessentialspodcast

Universal Language
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiffy Pop View Post
    winter in the northeast expecting snow would not be a bad bet. at least plan on the possibility.

as to the carraige rides i live on the other side of the country

come to Seattle, we have a Space Needle

Haha - I've been to Seattle before - I really liked it there. I stayed at the Edgewater Hotel which was very nice. I bought my leather jacket in Seattle.

I'm really hoping it'll be snowing on New Years Eve - which is when I'll be in New York.

Vicky - thanks a lot for the tips! I've been wanting to know a recommendation for a good restaurant!
    Download @ DreamensioN.net
    Podcast Subscribe @ Feedburner

we were there in second week of February and was 15C, the next day after we left huge snow storm and -10C LMAO

New York has pretty much the same weather as Toronto...and that is UNPREDICTABLE

bare in mind that its not only cold, but windy due to the proximity to water and the high rises that create a lot of draft and implicitly windchill, which translates into feeling colder than what the temperature is...my advice is to be prepared with warm clothes.

as Vicky suggested the Empire State Building gives you an amazing view, but for a chance to see something different i would go in the Chrysler Building at night

do not miss the WTC tour, you can either do it with a guide (volunteer family member of one of the victims) or you can do it on your own, they give you a recorded guide that walks you around the site, and you hear survivor/witness accounts of that day, it was very emotional for us, even after all this years

i'm almost certain the carriage is an attraction all year round, it was available in February, but taking a day to walk thru the park is a great experience too

oooh and when you go visit any of those famous buildings be prepared to go thru tougher security than at the airport
    Your signature contains too many lines and must be shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm coming to New York in Dec/January at the end of this year, and I have a few questions.

I know its winter for you guys, but over the new year period - does it usually snow? Or does the snow come a little later in January (or earlier in Dec)?

How much is a horse & carraige ride in Central Park? I've been prices on the net that vary from $40US to $90US+ - I'm just wondering if this is the normal price, or the tourist trap price?

And does the horse & carriage thing happen in winter? Or is it a spring/summer thing only?

Thanks guys!
    Hey there! Im so sorry i didnt see this earlier!!

yes, it usually snows around Dec/Jan. Our winters have been odd lately. This past winter we got the most snow- but it was later like feb-march. So you may be fine. But id come prepared. NYC the streets are kept very free of snow and the way the winds work from the buildings it really doesnt get too much in your way untless its a decent sized storm.

Horse and buggies- yes they are here in the winter but usually mostly around the holidays, so probably through the second week of january. You can always call one up though and plan for the trip (like a week in advance i would think)

I think the price you have there is a normal all around price. The tourist traps are the NYC shot glasses and and vodka and red bull drinks ;)

Hope that helps a little....if you have more questions please feel free to ask!
    randyboyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by HelloSam View Post

I think the price you have there is a normal all around price. The tourist traps are the NYC shot glasses and and vodka and red bull drinks ;)

Uh oh i would be caught in that trap i think thats one of my faves
    I'm Baaaaaaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiffy Pop View Post
    Uh oh i would be caught in that trap i think thats one of my faves
    Please add beer to that trap....

PS. New York is amazing
    beers

Thread Information