Making a mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paradoxem

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.

I've been asked to try to make a trance mix, just like you afterhours DJ's makes them. I was just wondering, what you use? Programs, equipment and etc. I was thinking about making the mix in Virtual DJ or something like that. Now I know, that doing that isn't so popular amongst you pro's, but I guess it's possible to do it that way, right?

Any help appreciated :)

http://forum.ah.fm/music-discussion/16420-idiots-guide-mixing-vdj-without-external-hardware.html

Good Luck!!!!

and never mind what people think is popular or not, as long as its a well mixed set, who cares if you used software or hardware?....besides, the PRO's are using software themselves too :grinning2:
i use half and half. :) i use the hardware to mix, but the software to play the tracks. but i have to beat match and pitch up/down tracks for that. software is just so that i can play the tracks and record.:lol: and wich ive done a small gig at a friends party like that. almost looked professional:lol:

i use half and half. :) i use the hardware to mix, but the software to play the tracks. but i have to beat match and pitch up/down tracks for that. software is just so that i can play the tracks and record.:lol: and wich ive done a small gig at a friends party like that. almost looked professional:lol:

when mixing with software if you don't wanna look like you're opening emails you can get a midi-controller, i got one as an early b-day present :grinning2:

Hercules DJ Console Mk2 (MkII), a revolutionary complete portable DJ controller, Mixer and USB audio interface for desktop/laptop PCs with no match in the worldwide market.

when mixing with software if you don't wanna look like you're opening emails you can get a midi-controller, i got one as an early b-day present :grinning2:

Hercules DJ Console Mk2 (MkII), a revolutionary complete portable DJ controller, Mixer and USB audio interface for desktop/laptop PCs with no match in the worldwide market.
beautiful. but i went cheaper:lol:
M-AUDIO - X-Session Pro - USB MIDI DJ Mixer Controller all you needis one usb cable and laptop, but i used my cousins i dont have one just desktop.:lol:
but when i get my financial aid money from college if im lucky i might feast myself on this:grinning2: a prety good price for my poornes.:)

Last edited:
Thanks! I will definitely have a look at that link. And maybe also that midi mixer. Looks sweet considering the price :)

beautiful. but i went cheaper:lol:
M-AUDIO - X-Session Pro - USB MIDI DJ Mixer Controller all you needis one usb cable and laptop, but i used my cousins i dont have one just desktop.:lol:
but when i get my financial aid money from college if im lucky i might feast myself on this:grinning2: a prety good price for my poornes.:)

the one you got its cheaper but doesn't work with VDj :p, and mine is USB too :music:

actually the m-audio one does work with vdj (as does everything else that sends MIDI signals), but it lacks some of the most important tools for the dj: the jog wheels

If you don't have the hardware, you can always mix on software such as 'Audacity' no problem as long as it sounds good.
If you do have a dj deck, then it's better to do the set on it so that you get used to it more. It will be like a practice
cheers

I've got the Gemini CDJ-3600 in Junior's post, and I have to say I have mixed feelings about the unit. Really can't complain about the price, but with the price comes some sacrifices.
My biggest complaint is the pitch control, the very first step from 0 is +/- 0.7%. After that you can get 0.1% increments but not easily. Sometimes the pitch skips between two adjacent values (for example 0.7 and 0.8), almost like if you hold a light switch halfway on the light flickers on and off.
The cue and play/pause buttons are soft button, and I find them to be a bit unresponsive. If you tap the cue button any faster than about 1 press per second it doesn't respond to some of them. Basically you can't do what you can do with the cue button on Pioneer CDJ's for example.
These complaints aside, it's still unbelieveably good value for what you get and will definitely be good if you just want something cheap to start off.

I've got the Gemini CDJ-3600 in Junior's post, and I have to say I have mixed feelings about the unit. Really can't complain about the price, but with the price comes some sacrifices.
My biggest complaint is the pitch control, the very first step from 0 is +/- 0.7%. After that you can get 0.1% increments but not easily. Sometimes the pitch skips between two adjacent values (for example 0.7 and 0.8), almost like if you hold a light switch halfway on the light flickers on and off.
The cue and play/pause buttons are soft button, and I find them to be a bit unresponsive. If you tap the cue button any faster than about 1 press per second it doesn't respond to some of them. Basically you can't do what you can do with the cue button on Pioneer CDJ's for example.
These complaints aside, it's still unbelieveably good value for what you get and will definitely be good if you just want something cheap to start off.

hey MMJA another problem is you can't bring the tempo precisely. Don't know about the Gemini CDJ-3600 much; but the Pioneer CDJ 100 has this problem. For instance if you want to increase the bpm 1 degree, then +0.7 on the tempo has a lag & +0.8 is a bit faster. You must play on the jog wheel or the tempo during the mix :)
As you said, "but with the price comes some sacrifices."

Cheers!

Last edited:
I didn't read through all of the replies, but you can download the Beatport player for free. While it does a good job generating play list and can automatic beat match, there is no record function available. I'm sure there is some way around this software wise, if not, hooking up an external CD recorder might work for recording.

Hi All!

Is there any possibility to mix in Winamp? If yes, please let me know how.
There are a lot of posts and write ups about this but nothing useful and correct informations or real answers can be found among them! So, please try to help me. I think it is a quite simple question, isn't it? :)

I tried to mix in winamp but it's not possilbe, the program doesn't support bpm features or syncing. Try with AIMP player... it could work.

:)

I tried to mix in winamp but it's not possilbe, the program doesn't support bpm features or syncing. Try with AIMP player... it could work.

:)

Thank you for the answer!
Are you sure? :) As I know it is possible to make mixes in Winamp. Just one small information, what is the "toggle crossfading between tracks" button in Winamp??? :)

the crossfading between tracks is just a simple fade-in/-out but without beatmatching work... try to mix a 140 bpm track with a 138 bpm track and you'll notice the rhythm is screwed.

So this is the trick that nobody else could tell before :)
But it works if the bpm fits I guess... ?

So this is the trick that nobody else could tell before :)
But it works if the bpm fits I guess... ?

it should work, but if you syncronize them well tho' :)

Thank you for your help!

Do you know any programs to make instant mixes? And it should be something free at first :)

Thank you for your help!

Do you know any programs to make instant mixes? And it should be something free at first :)

anytime :dance:

instant mixes, hmm... no, but you can try the AIMP player, it's free, supports beatmatching some effects and recording or smth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back