Earthlings or "Are We Human?"

TrancySpacer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone ! I don't know if that is the right approach but at least I give it a try.

Reading in this forum here about all the events that happened last weekend in Ireland between ATB and PvD I already raised a question to myself about why humans are the way they are. Yesterday I came across a documentary about how human beings and animals live "together". I sat here, in shock and awe, not knowing what to do and just being in a state of pain and full of hate and anger. The documentary "Earthlings" is about the way, people treat animals and how animals are used as "things" just to make us feeling wealthy, happy and healthy. I also released the following text in my own blog and i really hope it will get some attention.

There's a topic that I'd like to address because it is very important for myself and I definitely hope that, even if the documentary is already a bit old, people will watch it and give out comments and spread the word so it maybe finally gets heared by people who are in charge. I know that not many read the blog as of yet even tho i hope that'll change.

Last night I got a link to a video on google-video about human beings and their connections towards animals. The documentary is curtesy of Nation Earth LLC and won several Awards.

Here's what the movie/documentary is about

EARTHLINGS is an award-winning documentary film about the suffering of animals for food, fashion, pets, entertainment and medical research. Considered the most persuasive documentary ever made, EARTHLINGS is nicknamed “the Vegan maker” for its sensitive footage shot at animal shelters, pet stores, puppy mills, factory farms, slaughterhouses, the leather and fur trades, sporting events, circuses and research labs. The film is narrated by Academy Award® nominee Joaquin Phoenix and features music by platinum-selling recording artist Moby. Initially ignored by distributors, today EARTHLINGS is considered the definitive animal rights film by organizations around the world. “Of all the films I have ever made, this is the one that gets people talking the most,” said Phoenix. “For every one person who sees EARTHLINGS, they will tell three.”

In 1999, writer/producer/director Shaun Monson began work on a series of PSAs about spaying and neutering pets. The footage he shot at animal shelters around Los Angeles affected him so profoundly that the project soon evolved into EARTHLINGS. The film would take another six years to complete because of the difficulty in obtaining footage within these profitable industries. Though the film was initially ignored by distributors, who told Monson that the film would “never see the light of day and should be swept under the rug,” today EARTHLINGS is considered the definitive animal rights film by organizations around the world.

Nation Earth was established to produce documentary films on socially urgent issues. EARTHLINGS, released in 2005, was the company's first feature film and is the first of a documentary trilogy. The company is currently at work on the second installment, UNITY, which will explore the unifying force of consciousness found in nature, animals and humankind. UNITY is scheduled to be completed in 2009. For more information please see UNITY THE MOVIE.

I really sat here, crying and with such anger about how humans can treat animals like they had no consciousness, no feelings and no rights at all. Seeing how a cow's throat is slitted open, the cow being still alive fighting against death and hearing the cow being in awful pain, seeing how a fox is hanging around, a guy dragging the skin off the LIVING animal and seeing a bloodied fox who is still alive with no skin on him anymore or a dog being found on the street, thrown in a dumper ALIVE is just so painful...

I have no idea what the hell is going on in humans minds but in my mind, I really hope that people who inflict such violence to animals of all species and sorts are going to suffer as hard as the animals did before they finally died. Actually, I can't even imagine what those animals were thinking or how they felt but it must have been hell on earth.

Please, leave your comments and once again spread the word about the video. It's the low-rez version of it, free to view for everyone. If you have any doubt about the video being legal to be shown, go to Animal Treatment Society | Animal Documentary Movies | Informative Movie With EARTHLINGS where it's stated that a low-rez version is free for the public. You also can donate there.

The link to the video with german sub-titles is : Earthlings - Deutsche Untertitel
Thanks for listening
Hugs & Love
TrancySpacer (aka Angi)

ummm just a lil to much to read....ill be back later

only a few views and no reply... hm

I thought probably animals and their treatment are a topic that should be discussed and earthlings is a remarkable documentary concerning the treatment of animals.

nothing for the weak of heart tho, but I'd really like to see some comments or maybe tips (and please don't refer to PETA, they usually get the money into their own pocket and not for helping the poor animals).

Regards, Trancy

* èver tried creating a Trance Topic Thread at the World Wildlife Fund ?

http://forum.ah.fm/mellow-lounge/19651-earthlings-we-human.html

You'll find yourself .. .. ..​

Rafał^;1129207 said:
Cute polar bear... :) Our wolrd is beauty...

only a few views and no reply... hm

I thought probably animals and their treatment are a topic that should be discussed and earthlings is a remarkable documentary concerning the treatment of animals.

nothing for the weak of heart tho, but I'd really like to see some comments or maybe tips (and please don't refer to PETA, they usually get the money into their own pocket and not for helping the poor animals).

Regards, Trancy

To be honest : the word ' human ' is used in a way flattering, actually deceiving way. Check the behaviour of our species, and you automatically start admiring the animals. It's our very species which consumes all richness of the world ( après nous le deluge )

It's our species blaming the animal kingdom abusing even their very name :blink: to describe our own behaviour :yucky: Consider: ' behaving like animals :bad: vs: " a human treatment " :ee: The human race acting ' human '. Sure :devil:
Changing behaviour ( human behaviour ) is one of the greatest challenges. Social Sciences have a long way to go, compare their achievements with those of the technicians .. .. .. Yet, one way or another, I believe ' civilization ' is still an on-going process. And I won't see the day, but :

:good2: one fine day .. .. .. :wub:

polar-bear-cub-1.jpg

I'm admiring the animals ever since as they don't act like they own the world. Actually the "human being" is an animal too as seen in the word "mammal" which describes all species who give birth to already living creatures and where their mommy give them her breast, so mankind is probably the most aggressive, brutal and reckless animal on earth and our solarsystem... By helping abused animals (even if it's only in your hometown) everyone can make the world a bit brighter. ;)

I cannot watch a video like that. Not and still be able to eat and live in a normal way. I know that the animals are suffering to feed me. I know that. But I cannot watch it happen. I just cannot. It is too traumatic for me.

I agree that the procedures used to turn animals into food and other products for human consumption is terrible and need to be changed to make it humane and decent. The problem is that individuals like me have no real power to make for change. Not anymore. Not really. Only those in power can make those kinds of changes, and it's not profitable enough for them to do so. Therefore, the animals lose. And ultimately, so do we. Truly decent people do not run for office. Only the scoundrels have the resources and so, only the scoundrels are in positions of power. Since the scoundrels will never do right by us; the animals are inherently doomed.

We are all so complacent. As long as we have what we need and want, we just don't really care enough to do anything but sit on our asses. I'm just as guilty as everyone else. Even when times are bad, we don't really fight. We just take it. And in case you haven't noticed, WE (regular people) are just like the animals. We are used and abused and slaughtered by the same people in power that are doing it to the animals. To them, we are just so much gist for the mill. And nothing more. :(:cat:

The sad thing is, that many politicians got the link to that video (and several others submitted by PETA) but they won't change a damn thing about it, because mankind is "superior" towards the other animal species. And that is somehow reminding me of a very very dark age in history where people claimed they are superior towards other people and that scares the hell out of me. I think, as long as we don't understand that animals have feelings too, we'll abuse them and take the abuse to a point where even human beings are going to be treated the same way like animals are treated nowdays.

All we can do (well, at least that's what I'm doing) is, to not buy stuff from huge supermarkets. Go to the local butcher where you know where the cattle, the chicken etc. come from. Deny support for the big companies that just aim for profit. You even have the given right to ask and to get told where you meal is coming from and you are allowed to ask your money back. Maybe get active in local animal rights groups and help where help is needed. If you just save 2-3 lives it's worth it. We all have to eat but be sure to buy stuff where you can be sure that the animals were killed in a humane way, without them having to face fear or pain through months and months...

Hugs&Love
Trancy

Saying "I can't do anything" is a weak excuse. It's an attempt to default responsibility onto government officials and corporations rather than on yourself. The reality is that the burden has to be taken on by EVERYONE.

Changing your eating habits is just one part of a larger puzzle. And not doing it, despite knowing the consequences - that's quite irresponsible if you ask me.

All we can do (well, at least that's what I'm doing) is, to not buy stuff from huge supermarkets. Go to the local butcher where you know where the cattle, the chicken etc. come from. Deny support for the big companies that just aim for profit. You even have the given right to ask and to get told where you meal is coming from and you are allowed to ask your money back. Maybe get active in local animal rights groups and help where help is needed. If you just save 2-3 lives it's worth it. We all have to eat but be sure to buy stuff where you can be sure that the animals were killed in a humane way, without them having to face fear or pain through months and months...

Hugs&Love
Trancy

There is no real "humane" method of slaughter in terms of food.

Euthanasia is as close to "humane" as it gets - but this method of killing is expensive, and cannot be used on animals which are to become food. Pets are the only animals that receive this treatment.

For the vast majority of slaughterhouses and butchers, the most economical method is the one that is used, in order to help insure profitability... the cheapest method, is of course, the slitting of the throat, usually while the animal is tied upside down and is then essentially drained of its blood.

You may think that a small-time butcher is using humane methods, but that is unlikely. A small business is more likely to use less expensive means of slaughter for obvious economical reasons. The fact is that there is NO way for eating meat to be morally acceptable.

Back