The Time is Close For Me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarek

Registered
Reaction score
Well I am planning, in a few months to buy myself a set for bedroom DJing and perhaps some friends' little parties.

I have been doing research for almost 2 years now on equipment, theory, and techniques, but I've never touched equipment (until very very recently when I went to my local music shop and played a bit nervously with the equipment).

I am definitely getting a pair of these:
mini-DN-HS5500.jpg

I am planning to add an external hard drive (linked to both players using D-Sync) or two good sized jump drives on each (8/16 gig or so..)

Now the only thing I don't know what to get for..is the mixer. Which is a shame because its the most critical part of the setup. I cannot seem to pick..I don't want to go horrible quality cheap (apparently Behringer)..nor do I want to spend an incredible amount (ie: Xone/Rane) ..Just decent. I dont want to be replacing my stuff every year..

A pair of those Players already cost me about 1k CAD...I don't want to pass 1.5K CAD..

So what mixer should I be getting? I cannot decide whether I really need 3 or 4 channels, or if I'd need FX on them or samplers. The players already have FX and I don't think I'd use a sampler much tbh..

I've been racking my inexperienced and ignorant brains for a long time..until I made this thread now.

Thanks for the help :friends:

To be honest mate, the equipment isn't necessarily the most important part of it all, once you've learned the art of mixing itself the equipment you're using becomes pretty much irrelevant after a while.

However, I personally would recommend buying something of better quality, if you're seeing this as a long-term hobby, otherwise you'd only buy now and then have to replace again later on. If you want something to use in the meantime though, try getting second-hand equipment.

I learned on cheap decks and a basic 2-channel mixer and it did me fine for the first few years, because the two most important things to DJing are knowing your tunes and practising. When I traded them in for my current Technics/DJM600 setup, I bought both second hand and they all still work fine - the only things I bought new were my CD decks.

If you can, try using the equipment before buying, whether in the shop or by borrowing someone else's, that way you'll find out if you like them or not. The two industry standard mixers are generally the Pioneer DJM range and the Allen & Heath Xone range (I've never played a club that didn't have one or the other) and thankfully I had a friend with an A&H already which had already taught me how much I hate them, and it made my choice of mixer very easy. I find the A&H mixers horrible and soul-less, and as such I'll only ever buy Pioneer.

But as I say, you don't have to start with one, in fact, you might be better off buying a cheaper/second hand one to learn on first just to get yourself into it before spending the big money on a better one :smile:

So sorry to be inconclusive, but I hope this helps mate :friends:

I understand what you're saying. I have played with basic MIDI controllers on software like Traktor and VDJ..but I wanted to go more analog than that, without leaving functionality like MIDI capabilities and flash media playback..

I feel like if I were to buy easy to use second hand stuff I will outgrow it very very soon after buying it.

I also have felt that the lack of control (or my psychological equivalent) over the software and controller is..a barrier to my creativity..which is why I chose that specific model of CD player...

(to be continued..class time :p)

EDIT: Also, I will most definitely try the equipment before buying. I have learned recently that feeling the equipment and simply seeing videos is a huge difference..I thought I had controls on a mixer and basic CD player down..buy was I wrong..

Who knows..maybe I will completely reject my current thoughts after I buy the equipment..and end up returning it for a fully functional MIDI controller..

But thanks for the insight, it's really appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks Apocalypse...especially for reminding me of KAM..I completely forgot about them..I would get the Urei..as I've heard nothing but good things about it..the Pioneer is just way too expensive..and the DN X120 also seems like a good deal..

I'm going to have to find out more about the KAM models though..

BTW..I've been searching around..any idea where I can get the Urei? Or the KAM for that matter..

To be fair my first mixer was a Kam before I got the Pioneer and it was great, I loved it - I wore down the channels and the crossfaders after a while but I did use it a hell of a lot over the 6 years it lasted! :grinning2:

I would get the Kam if only not all the distributors were in the UK (Lazarus you lucky guy..)...maybe the 50 euro shipping price is worth it..

I'm kinda down to the DXM-09 or the Kam KCM400 MKII

Now I just need to wait for the weekend to go back to that music store and try all their mixers out..

Haha problem with Reloop is that they don't sell anywhere in North America..

I usually recommend the DXM06 as a good beginners mixer. A good combination of quality, features and price. DXM09 if you want 3 channels
the problem you have is you don't yet know what you really like in a mixer. heaps of people want effects but find then not that great once they get going. Maybe you'll decide you want a rotary, filters, scratch etc, but won't know until you've spent time learning.
Maybe look at second hand, in a year or two you can sell for close to what you paid when you have more specific preferences?

I'm not really planning to go any further than bedroom/small parties..Which means I won't be constantly on the lookout for deals, buying and selling, etc. I will only replace the terminally broken..

I have decided (probably final decision) that the DXM 09 is the best for me. Your recommendation brought my little doubt down to nothing..

Thanks apocalypse for the link ..( I follow ellaskins a lot too :p)

I LOVE MY UREI..but mine is just a 1620 ...good luck on your quest...

1620LEf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back