First "real" gig, any tips?

jaroo

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I have my first upcoming gig. The scene is a birthday party for a friend of a friend. I got told they listen to EDM so I suppose that's a plus since it's what I will be spinning. The set is about 3-4h long and the attendance is around 100 ppl.

I am just curious since it's my first "real" gig should I have anything planned out up front or just go with the flow? I feel that 3-4 hours of one genre can become a bit repeative since I don't know if everyone there likes trance in specific. Was thinking of maybe starting with a bit more downtempo progressive house/trance, then gradually build up work my way through some house and end the night with some smashing trance tracks.

Would love some hints and tips on how to NOT destroy the night for the people there, as I am completely new to the scene! :)

Thanks in advance,
James

Think you're right... I have the same experience. Friends tend to get bored when they only listen to trance (hate them :p)
So when I get to pick the tracks I always do the following:

House - Progressive - Trance - Uplifting Trance - Hard Trance and end the night with Golden Oldies (which has nothing to do with trance)

Thanks for the reply, I will keep that in mind and select my tunes carefully for the night. I want them to have a night to remember but I assume they will consume a bright amount of alcohol and probably just want some good tunes. That's how it usually goes :D

id say start with some electro, move to progressive, uplfting, tech and then to hard trance. if possible get some hard style in there. ala showteck style or black identity. :grinning:

the first party i played at i started with some progressive, moved on to uplifting, then hard and then finished with tech. but it all depends on the atmosphere of the party. if they dig what you are playing then give them more until they drop then you move to another genre. thats what i did. but you gota pump the people. dont give them and slow and cheese stuff. i have some montrous tunes that i always like to play. in ever set i do. but thats my secret :)

nice, thanks!

I'll keep this in mind, just have to go with the flow and see what people enjoy I suppose :D. I like alot of different tracks but I figured I'd end the night with stuff like miracle cure, megashira, kalopsia, cygnes, metaverse, thrill, la guitarra, or w.e... just some big tunes. Guess I'll just see how it goes and take the experience with me to my hopefully next plays after :good:

uh, my recomendation, dont. end big or dont do it at all. end with some big tunes. i mean BIG!! not slow. whats the point if you start slow then. you gota have a build up also. prepare your tracks before the party so that you wont have to be searching for them the day. have it all planned out ahead of time.:grinning:

alright, by big what do you have in mind? I am going to start around 125bpm and try to end up with fast hard paced trance around 135-137 bpm. I got the basic idea of what I'm going to play, but suppose I will do like u said and have tracks planned out :) do you still plan out what to play or do you just take it as it come and from how the crowd responds etc? I get that you have quite a bit more experience than what I have that is why I ask! Thanks for helping me out :D

For me it's Progressive Trance -----> Electro Trance / Nu-trance -----> uplifting or Tech Trance

Back