Android Phone Users ("Google" phones)

emeacham

Registered
Reaction score
For those of you who have Android phones and want to listen to Afterhours.fm, give this a shot.

I haven't had time to make anything specific as far as an AH player, so I've resorted to using the free version of StreamFurious to listen to AH.fm while I'm in my car, at lunch, or whatever.

Search the Android Market for StreamFurious - currently, there are two versions; StreamFurious and StreamFurious Pro. (The Pro version is $5.99 (USD) and has a few features that aren't needed to listen to the current AH stream, so you really don't need it.)

Anyway, once installed on your phone, open it up, hit the menu button on your phone (there is not a soft menu button) then choose "More Stations" and pick the Shoutcast.com option. Once Shoutcast loads, search for "ah.fm" -- afterhours.fm didn't yield any results for me.

The results for "ah.fm" should have the same options available for Winamp on AH.fm... just pick your bitrate and it will start playing. :)

--
If anyone knows of a better FREE PLS player, by all means, plug it here so we can all benefit from it. Meanwhile, when I get time (yeah, right...) I'm hoping to be able to write a quick app that is specific to the AH.fm streams so StreamFurious/Shoutcast won't be needed... we'll see, anyway.

Cheers

Thanks alot for you information!:clap:
Unfortunatly I don't own a Android-phone :(

Cheers :D

BTW, you're missing out if you have any smart phone that is not sporting Android. :p

.::UPDATE::.

DroidLive and DroidLive Lite do the same thing as the above, and IMHO is a lot better. This app actually brought me to the decision to NOT make a specific app for the AH.fm. :/

Cheers

If you look for "Antropia" on the android market and click on "Radio" tab and type in Afterhours.fm it will show up.. Just another option for Android phone users. :)

Cheers!

nice info guys... im looking to get my first droid phone soon "i hope" will check it out... maybe il wait it off till the official google phone comes out.

Cheers fernie :clap:

Dan-- You'll love it. I came from a line of several Windows Mobile phones, and an iPhone somewhere between all of them... Android by far has my heart. :)

If you have a CHOICE, Android is the way to go.

Cheers fernie :clap:

Dan-- You'll love it. I came from a line of several Windows Mobile phones, and an iPhone somewhere between all of them... Android by far has my heart. :)

If you have a CHOICE, Android is the way to go.

whats the best one right now on the market? i don't know when google phone will be released.. i think Motorola released one recently...

also, hardware wise, is there any better one that the iphone?

I own a Samsung Galaxy and sadly, right now I can't recommend it anymore.
Look for a phone developer / network - combo which likely supports their devices in the future (you really don't want an outdated Android version on your device, when all around you they are upgraded OTA or otherwise, for free)

Other than that, I had a good past with SonyEricsson (P900/990...) and would probably look at their upcoming Xperia. If you need a keyboard it's not for you though.
I found out that typing on that softkeyboard isn't really my deal, i need a hard one. But I heard Android 2.0 improved on that.
My next device will certainly feature a real keyboard.

also, hardware wise, is there any better one that the iphone?

I'm not tempted to go check right now, Google is your friend :hug:
But I personally like the open-ness of an Platform better vs. a single Product, and am glad I can easily port my Apps and Settings over to another device when needed but retain the environment. - Anyway hardware wise they should be at least up to par by now

Also I'll shortly be giving my favorite linux distro a shot on that ARM processor :)

Be prepared though, that not all Android Market Apps always work perfectly on your device - they are still too different implementation-wise (keyboard vs no keyboard for example)

P.S.> Also using StreamFurrious, but mostly the Network is too bad to support even the 96k AH.fm stream and my data package is not unlimited (maybe there could be a lower 32k? stream)

P.P.S
Happy new year 2010

I own a Samsung Galaxy and sadly, right now I can't recommend it anymore.
Look for a phone developer / network - combo which likely supports their devices in the future (you really don't want an outdated Android version on your device, when all around you they are upgraded OTA or otherwise, for free)

Other than that, I had a good past with SonyEricsson (P900/990...) and would probably look at their upcoming Xperia. If you need a keyboard it's not for you though.
I found out that typing on that softkeyboard isn't really my deal, i need a hard one. But I heard Android 2.0 improved on that.
My next device will certainly feature a real keyboard.

I'm not tempted to go check right now, Google is your friend :hug:
But I personally like the open-ness of an Platform better vs. a single Product, and am glad I can easily port my Apps and Settings over to another device when needed but retain the environment. - Anyway hardware wise they should be at least up to par by now

Also I'll shortly be giving my favorite linux distro a shot on that ARM processor :)

Be prepared though, that not all Android Market Apps always work perfectly on your device - they are still too different implementation-wise (keyboard vs no keyboard for example)

P.S.> Also using StreamFurrious, but mostly the Network is too bad to support even the 96k AH.fm stream and my data package is not unlimited (maybe there could be a lower 32k? stream)

P.P.S
Happy new year 2010

we have 48k aac + http://www.ah.fm/48k.m3u

try it out, also thx for th handy info!

thank you for your reply pax. the idea of andriod is really clicking on my mind, but also, I am very selective when it comes to the hardware/physical specs. and thus make it harder to decided wehter to go for iphone (superior hardware) or andriod operated phone.

Happy new year :)

we have 48k aac + http://www.ah.fm/48k.m3u

try it out, also thx for th handy info!

sorry, Dan
StreamFurious (and many other players) still don't support AAC.

Wailo: the iPhone's processor is a ~620MHz ARM vs the mostly used 528MHz Qualcomm ARM chip in android's (the SE Xperia has presumably a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon) , but the Storage on my Samsung Galaxy is 8GB internal memory + up to 32GB on a microSDHC where on a iPhone it's only internal and not changeable - that differs between android devices of course.

The other sensors are afaik mostly the same as on the iPhone (motion, agps, compass) but newer devices are topping even that.

What I love the most is the upcoming OpenGL ES 3D apps, i've seen a Android game with 3D support already - Mystique (check it out whoever can) it's really slick

now off to teh partay :super:

sorry, Dan
StreamFurious (and many other players) still don't support AAC.

Wailo: the iPhone's processor is a ~620MHz ARM vs the mostly used 528MHz Qualcomm ARM chip in android's (the SE Xperia has presumably a 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon) , but the Storage on my Samsung Galaxy is 8GB internal memory + up to 32GB on a microSDHC where on a iPhone it's only internal and not changeable - that differs between android devices of course.

The other sensors are afaik mostly the same as on the iPhone (motion, agps, compass) but newer devices are topping even that.

What I love the most is the upcoming OpenGL ES 3D apps, i've seen a Android game with 3D support already - Mystique (check it out whoever can) it's really slick

now off to teh partay :super:

I actually use stream furious to always listen to ah.fm .....it works just fine on my htc hero phone:)

The great thing about Android powered phones is that you dont have to worry so much about company developpers. You don't have to wait for the company to create apps (ie: Proprietary Samsung, Nokia, etc). Android is open source.

Android phones will all be able to handle the same apps (given the hardware is capable..but they dont differ TOO much)

google nexus one looks nice !

with bigger screen, thinner, faster and waaaaay cheaper!

Nexus one cost around £360

Iphone-3Gs 32GB costs around £550 :mask:

with bigger screen, thinner, faster and waaaaay cheaper!

Nexus one cost around £360

Iphone-3Gs 32GB costs around £550 :mask:

time for another iPhone vs everything else battle? :p

iPhone all the way baby!

Hey guys,

I love parting and I believe DroidLive goes right on with that! Man that thing on my Motorola Droid and docked in my car is freeking sweet!

7538-2.jpg

Sorry for the large image :p more pics of the app here.

By the way it does support AAC+ streams...

peace!

If any developers there interested in volunteering to develop Android application for AH.FM to stream audio and other features, please send me a PM or contact Dan, it will be a good challenge and I will be happy to contribute with graphics.

Back