How does Trance music make you feel?

Phantasmagoric

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if everyone could help me out with something? I'm a film production student in Los Angeles CA and I am studying abroad in Bonn, Germany during the Fall Semester. As part of the program I have to make a 15 minute documentary on the subject on my choice. Because I love trance music, I thought I'd do it on the trance/house scene in Europe (not sure where exactly yet, but I'd have to be able to travel there). I'm thinking of possibly going the experimental route with it, and interviewing people about how Trance makes them feel and actually trying to put the audience in kind of a trance or make them feel how the music can make people feel. I have to turn in a treatment next week, and since I'm not over there to actually interview people I thought I'd ask a couple questions on here so I have something more concrete to write about than just my concept.

Short version (for those who didn't read that paragraph)
-Making a documentary on trance music in Europe
-It would help me immensely if you could answer these questions for me

-How does trance/electronic music make you feel?
-What images to you picture when you listen to trance/electronic music?(if I go the experimental route I'll probably shoot a lot of these types of images to try and create the feeling)
-Why do you choose to listen to this type of music?

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome as well :)

Thanks so much! :music:

Generally, sound of trance makes me feel better immediately. It is the best medicine for me. Nothing can make my day better. It is fantastic feeling. When I listen to uplifting trance, I can feel these emotions. Emotions that was hidden by the artist. I can feel the artist. It enables me to see what he wanted to tell by this track but it has to be a great track. Some of them can not do it. This is how my favourite kind of trance affects on me. On other hand, balearic trance is like being with cold beer in your hand on the beach of some beatiful, sunny island, for example - Ibiza.
To sum up, this music is something precious, it is more than music. When I was listening to other styles of music, I did not feel it. It was just like a background. I was not focused on it... Now I know, it was not music for me.
- uplifting trance - a lot of emotions, definately positive, balearic trance - read above
- it simply makes me feel better and I feel original, I listen to music I love, not others love!

I hope it will be useful for you, if you have any questions - feel free to send a pm. :friends:

Last edited:
It gives me joy of life. It takes me to other places; a place I feel is awesome. It hypnotizes me and I feel like I’m in this magical world with a strong feeling that only dreams able to bring. This feeling where you are in the perfect world and your living in it. This I get form listening to trance. It makes me a better person, a more social and caring person who enjoys helping. I’m not sure if this is trance or my personality, but I know that the nice part of my personality gets amplified with trance. It makes me in good mood.
I listen to trance several hours a day, and I can’t get enough of it. I listen to other types to, but I dislike hiphop and house. I enjoy film music, symphonic, some pop, rock, punk/SKA, music from Japan, Middle East, Italy, Latin America. However trance is my absolute favourite genre. Especially Euphoric, dreamy trance.

I'll see if i can extend this and add more, becuase i think there is :)

It gives me joy of life. It takes me to other places; a place I feel is awesome. It hypnotizes me and I feel like I’m in this magical world with a strong feeling that only dreams able to bring. This feeling where you are in the perfect world and your living in it. This I get form listening to trance. It makes me a better person, a more social and caring person who enjoys helping. I’m not sure if this is trance or my personality, but I know that the nice part of my personality gets amplified with trance. It makes me in good mood.
I listen to trance several hours a day, and I can’t get enough of it. I listen to other types to, but I dislike hiphop and house. I enjoy film music, symphonic, some pop, rock, punk/SKA, music from Japan, Middle East, Italy, Latin America. However trance is my absolute favourite genre. Especially Euphoric, dreamy trance.

I'll see if i can extend this and add more, becuase i think there is :)
The part what you started talking about helping to other people fits me aswell but it is rather my personality.

Generally, sound of trance makes me feel better immediately. It is the best medicine for me. Nothing can make my day better. It is fantastic feeling. When I listen to uplifting trance, I can feel these emotions. Emotions that was hidden by the artist. I can feel the artist. It enables me to see what he wanted to tell by this track but it has to be a great track. Some of them can not do it. This is how my favourite kind of trance affects on me. On other hand, balearic trance is like being with cold beer in your hand on the beach of some beatiful, sunny island, for example - Ibiza.
To sum up, this music is something precious, it is more than music. When I was listening to other styles of music, I did not feel it. It was just like a background. I was not focused on it... Now I know, it was not music for me.
- uplifting trance - a lot of emotions, definately positive, balearic trance - read above
- it simply makes me feel better and I feel original, I listen to music I love, not others love!

I hope it will be useful for you, if you have any questions - feel free to send a pm. :friends:
Nice post man. Who are favourite djs if ye don't mind me asking?

labielecki, i think in many cases we are very alike :)
I feel the same as you buddy!:)

Nice post man. Who are favourite djs if ye don't mind me asking?
Well, I do not know who is my favourite because I have never been at any party yet but from the sets. I like a lot of them. Well, Roger Shah & Markus Schulz, for example. :) Anyway, it is too hard to say it if you have not seen a DJ playing live yet. There is a difference between live & recorded mix.

labielecki, i think in many cases we are very alike :)
I feel the same as you buddy!:)
Great, seems we are. :friends:

labielecki: Do you like house music?

My favourit DJ (however recorded mixes only!) is
Acues! His existrance sets are totally amazing. If someone is curious, try existrance 021.

Then in no particular order my other favourites are:
Temple ONE, ferry tayle, manuel le saux, Redstar, Rob Evans!
It depends but I can listen to house music if it is good. Once a week I listen to Euforia. It is polish audiction that consists of nearly all electronic genres and I think it is enough for me. There is not much trance in euforia, anyway.

Now I go to sleep, bye.

Last edited:
labielecki: Do you like house music?

My favourit DJ (however recorded mixes only!) is
Acues! His existrance sets are totally amazing. If someone is curious, try existrance 021.

Then in no particular order my other favourites are:
Temple ONE, ferry tayle, manuel le saux, Redstar, Rob Evans!

Sometimes it makes me feel like it's the only reason to live.
Yeah, that is so true. It can not lie to you, it can not make you feel angry or sad and so on. It has "no" feelings (it is not a person, just a thing) because it is music but if produced properly you can feel feelings of the producer. I hope you see what I mean. :super:

freakin sweet

You picked a fantastic topic for your presentation. Here's my feedback:

The kind of music we listen to is unique. It moves people in ways that they may not understand. It's instinctual, primitive, and beautiful. When you're on the dance floor, and the DJ drops this MASSIVE tune, the entire audience FEELS it. I have never experienced anything like dancing amongst 1,000 other people and feeling like we are all truly on the same wavelength. I have danced with complete strangers and felt their energy and our movements synched as if we knew each other inside and out. It was the most amazing feeling! The build ups, the drops, the melodies, the vocals, they all combine to move you at your core.

Have you ever seen the documentary "Better Living Through Circuitry"? You should try to find it. It's amazing. It was produced in 1998 I believe and has interviews with many old school influences in the scene: BT, Electric Skychurch, The Crystal Method, Roni Size and more. BT breaks down trance as it effects listeners. He says the beats and the lights when synched just right, can put you into literally, a trance-like state. This dates back to our most primitive times, when drums and fire were used in rituals and dances to induce a trance state. It still exists today! Only the music is much more complex and awesome. Now, to answer your questions.

Trance music makes me feel that all is right with the world. When I am sad or angry, all I have to do is put on one of my favorite mixes and within minutes I feel like myself again. It's almost a form of meditation for me. It may be the beat, the melody, the atmosphere it creates. In some ways I feel like the rhythm is something we crave. Everything in nature moves to a rhythm, though it may not always be audible.
Trance music creates an energy among listeners. I've told many people, including my parents that being in the presence of uplifting music and a large crowd which is in that 'state of trance' is more spiritual than being in church. The closest to God I've ever felt is when under the influence of trance. And no, ecstasy was not a factor, lol. I've been moved to tears by music, moved to jump, throw my hands up with the DJ and crowd and completely open myself up to the beautiful energy the music and crowd created. No other genre of music can create this effect. NO other genre. I've been to many concerts and raves and the only time I felt this was when listening to trance!

As for visualiztions, what I see most often I guess would be serene oceanscapes, clouds, sunsets/rises, stars, and when not at a show I see myself DANCING of course!

I choose to listen to this type of music because it feeds my spirit. It inspires me and moves me like no other music can. The absence of vocals, for the majority of tracks, is really an asset. The music doesn't tell you what to think or feel, but the entire crowd experiencing the music feels the same way. What does that tell you? We are already all connected, and the influence of trance makes it so evident.

I hope this helps and isn't too late for your presentation. Best of luck!

:dancing:

Awesome to hear man! Really wonderful to read.

However, is this very specific to trance?
How is house for you or in general?

I always try to compare house with Trance, however i don't understand house and the house scene and can't figure it out (because i don't like house at all).

Do house lovers really enjoy their music the same as trance lovers do?
Then again, this is a trance forum, people will talk to trances advantage.

You should've seen me yesterday when i listened to Sebiastan Brandt - The blank point 104 here at FM (you can search my threads to see:D). I was jumping in my chair and was extremely excited with lots of energy. And that was after i got back home from a hard day of work! :super:

trance music for hard to explain it gives me the shivers,it puts me in good form when i hear it,im glad i found this site cuse the trance tunes bn playd are unreal,iv tryd to listen to house music electro techno cuse all my m8s are into that music,i just couldn get away from trance so im on my own lol :)

Great topic! I have beeing around for some time now and when I´m feeling low all I have to do is start some trance music to get me to the top again. I´m a uplifting trance guy, but I also listen to all diffrent kinds aswell. I just love to hear hardpsy trance on sundays, for some reason can´t explain just do. I have been to some tranceevents aswell and the feeling when you stand there in the croud and a great breakdown commes...the whole room is silent and then when it starts again.. the feeling is stronger then any drug, even better then sex..Nowdays I don´t really care how is playing as long as they are giving me a good time I love everyone. I have to say aswell, I still get tears in my eyes when I get into the music. It´s like you go into another world. Yes I know im´43 years old now, but I still have the great feeling to this music style, and I want to celebreat my 50´th birthday on a dancefloor.I started to listen to trance/techno late 90´s. And I still have a great love for "sir" Johan Gielen.

Last edited:
Great topic! I have beeing around for some time now and when I´m feeling low all I have to do is start some trance music to get me to the top again. I´m a uplifting trance guy, but I also listen to all diffrent kinds aswell. I just love to hear hardpsy trance on sundays, for some reason can´t explain just do. I have been to some tranceevents aswell and the feeling when you stand there in the croud and a great breakdown commes...the whole room is silent and then when it starts again.. the feeling is stronger then any drug, even better then sex..Nowdays I don´t really care how is playing as long as they are giving me a good time I love everyone. I have to say aswell, I still get tears in my eyes when I get into the music. It´s like you go into another world. Yes I know im´43 years old now, but I still have the great feeling to this music style, and I want to celebreat my 50´th birthday on a dancefloor.I started to listen to trance/techno late 90´s. And I still have a great love for "sir" Johan Gielen.
Yeah, you are right. As Armin said: "it lifts us to a higher state". :)

About " I don´t really care who is playing" is not really true, I mean everone is doing a fantastic work. I hope I haven´t hurt anyone, it was not my intend. There is also some languish problems I don´t use english dayly, so sometimes things get wrong in the translation in my head.:lol:

Yes I know im´43 years old now, but I still have the great feeling to this music style, and I want to celebreat my 50´th birthday on a dancefloor.I started to listen to trance/techno late 90´s. And I still have a great love for "sir" Johan Gielen.

Are we ever too old to appreciate beautiful music? Absolutely not! Enjoy and embrace 50 while on the dancefloor, and take the time to reflect on your journey so far. :grinning:

Back