Question for the real producers.

Exactly what I want to know too :)

Now that's a topic in what I'm very interested too, but indeed where to start...:blink:

Seen some nice tips from the official Leon Bolier channel on youtube, but all advice is welcome.

Hello,

I'm very interested in starting to produce some trancemusic but I haven't got a clue where to start.

1) What software / hardware do you use?
2) If you actualy have a production, do you just send it to different labels?

So many questions... :megacrazy:

Personally I use Logic on Mac. There's other sequencers you can use, such as Ableton, Cubase, Sonar, Reason etc etc. So one of those is your first starting point.

Most of those come with built in instruments (soft-synths). There's LOADS of decent plug-in instruments out there now that you can use as well. Gladiator, Massive, Zebra to name a few.

Then there's the hardware synths. These aren't cheap, but well worth the money I'd say. I have a Virus TI Snow which is a little beauty. There's loads out there. Different producers use different synth's. They've all got their pro's and con's.

If you look at some of 7 Skies' vid's on YouTube (type 7SkiesTV in the search) you can see how his tunes are layered up. Worth a watch for sure.

Hope that helps a bit! :friends:

Everyone raves about Logic but I've always been a Cubase man, 3.1 at home and just upgraded the studio Cubase to the latest version, I forget which it is though.

If I was starting out with no background in production methodology at all, I would go with something relatively simplistic at first, but once you grasp the concept of arrangement it's all onto the geeky stuff like mastering and EQing your channels.

James and I love hardware synths but that's easy for us to say because he's had 15 years of collecting them and we're spoiled for choice. But there are plenty of good softsynths and VSTs to go through, although Nexus is a must :grinning:

All in all you'll pick it up doing two things above all else - practising a lot, and listening to other music a lot, and when I say listen, I mean literally de-constructing it into all it's different pieces in your head.

Nobody gets it straight away, nobody even gets it quickly really. So as long as you don't get frustrated by your early attempts and keep going, you'll get there eventually :smile:

As for labels, I wouldn't worry about them whatsoever :ee: Just try and make music that you genuinely enjoy listening to, and if it's any good, trust me, labels will come to you :wink:

Ableton with Synth 1 VST and some other packs that are available for free.
That way you can keep your costs low (apart from the purchase of Ableton), until you make some money with your release.

A video from 7 Skies??? wow... that has to be interesting :choon:

Thanks

Thank you for the headstart, I found many tips very interesting and I'm looking into testing and buying some of the software to get started.

An additional question though: What if I want to build a trance song containing a fragment of a famous artist (like a voice of the 80s/90s pop) but totally reworked, what about the legal side? I cannot imagine as an amateur contacting companies involving the royalties etc, how to start with that? Is it even possible? Or should I forget about it entirely at the start?

My idea is to bring a trance song with the usual (and wonderful ofc xD) of today but with a small reworked input of the past and I doubt what is possible and what is not.

Maybe my question is stupid but, I'd like an honest answer as I don't have a clue.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Well I have been thinking about using other's clips as a start as well some time ago, but as you said; new time producers will have a hard time getting the approval for this.

My tip would be to contact the artists for this, or their management agencies.
It is pretty hard to find out where the royalties would need to be placed.
Releasing the track without cutting them in... well I don't think that will happen.

Thanks for the info.

I think I'm gonna skip the thought for now. I'm gonna play a bit more with basics for now and learn, adding vocals will have to wait a bit :)

Start by pressing every button you see, to check what it does...

Back