Access to "LiveSets @ AH.FM" threads only after login?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefox_muc

Registered
Reaction score
I can't find any announcement for this new feature, tried with different browsers...
Is there any good reason to restrict access or is there a technical problem? Other parts of the forum are accessible as before. Just heard others had the same problem.

I usually don't login to read.

Im testing out a few things with the forum... hopefully people will register and participate in forum, many users would come onto forum and just download the sets, you can be also logged in without putting a password each time. Just select "remember me"

thanks mate

Im testing out a few things with the forum... hopefully people will register and participate in forum, many users would come onto forum and just download the sets, you can be also logged in without putting a password each time. Just select "remember me"

thanks mate

"remember me" doesn't work for me - my browser clears all cookies on closing = nice privacy options :). Login status hidden would be a nice feature. :mask:

To give you some more feedback on your tests:
- I don't like this message "You are not logged in / registered on this site. Please log in or register. To register please click here ..." I really do know that I'm not logged in, don't need this hint.
I log in for my favorite shows, but only if I'm at home and have time to - the reminder is a nice feature but my day has 24h hours only.

- The code for "Your version of Flash Player is older than required..." doesn't make fun on Linux, the version is often different and there is no automatic update. Smaller hint without a separate alert window would be nice - no alert at all would be nicer. Please don't try to behave like mom. :lol:
Many people don't like to participate if you bother them.

Make the download links accessible after login if you like - some other forums have it like this.

"remember me" doesn't work for me - my browser clears all cookies on closing = nice privacy options :). Login status hidden would be a nice feature. :mask:

To give you some more feedback on your tests:
- I don't like this message "You are not logged in / registered on this site. Please log in or register. To register please click here ..." I really do know that I'm not logged in, don't need this hint.
I log in for my favorite shows, but only if I'm at home and have time to - the reminder is a nice feature but my day has 24h hours only.

- The code for "Your version of Flash Player is older than required..." doesn't make fun on Linux, the version is often different and there is no automatic update. Smaller hint without a separate alert window would be nice - no alert at all would be nicer. Please don't try to behave like mom. :lol:
Many people don't like to participate if you bother them.

Make the download links accessible after login if you like - some other forums have it like this.

that is also my opinion! :iagree:

Thanks firefox for adressing this problem:bravo:
Was already wondering for a few days why I suddenly had to log in and was about to ask Dan or other people here in the forums..

Was also looking for announcements and I am surprised and a bit disappointed now, that DAN didn't mention anything before as he usually does- especially for such important things which affects all of us :(

Im testing out a few things with the forum... hopefully people will register and participate in forum

That confirms my first idea that I had when I was thinking about possible reasons for this Log-IN feature..

Seems like your plan is succesful: I noticed way more people logged in recently, including those who are normally not often online in the forums.

Also LOTS of people have registered recently, at least this was my feeling.

The biggest difference: Instead of few members and many guests there were suddenly more members and 0!! guests in the forums- for sure if you can't view without log-in/being registered!

Last edited:

thanks mate

if someone wants to know what tracks been played, he gets the restriction...whats the sense behind this?

maybe he will register and then...he still gets no information about the artist etc... do you think he will visit this site again because he's a member of this site? is the livesets-area the vip-area now?

other ppl want to get an overview about the things that are happening on the forum before being part of it

create a new restricted forum / subforum where all the download links are located could be a solution (just a sidenote: 1 person will register and share the download links with his/her friends, so you basically won't get too many new ppl on the forum)

another idea:

install a loyalty program where the ppl get some bonuses for their participation like download links in higher quality, bigger avatars, etc.

but the livesets-area should be open to the public, it's the teaser for everything else here

I will be opening up Live-sets forum in a few days without being have to be registered, however in near future we might come back to this, as we have seen way more registrations, and more activity on the forum in the shows, I strongly feel to download a set, or view tracklist or discussions on what people are saying about a specific show would require them to log in....

I appreciate all your feedback's of course :)

cheers mates

I will be opening up Live-sets forum in a few days without being have to be registered, however in near future we might come back to this, as we have seen way more registrations, and more activity on the forum in the shows, I strongly feel to download a set, or view tracklist or discussions on what people are saying about a specific show would require them to log in....

I appreciate all your feedback's of course :)

cheers mates

think about the following situation:

ah.fm announces a new special event like the emphase day at the end of this month, but you, the one who is discovering this place for the first time, can't see anything because you're not a member of this site...

or think about the eoyc 2010:

you will arrange another big lineup...you want as many listeners/fans as possible...but only the registered ppl can see the lineup...

think about the following situation:

ah.fm announces a new special event like the emphase day at the end of this month, but you, the one who is discovering this place for the first time, can't see anything because you're not a member of this site...

or think about the eoyc 2010:

you will arrange another big lineup...you want as many listeners/fans as possible...but only the registered ppl can see the lineup...

I totally understand where your coming from, however we have seen a huge ratio of registrations last few days and 100% activity on the forums... so its a 50/50 thing... some will hate it, and some will be happy, unfortunately at the end you cant please everyone.

keep it that way DAn no more lurking

AH.FM - Unite as One

I totally understand where your coming from, however we have seen a huge ratio of registrations last few days and 100% activity on the forums... so its a 50/50 thing... some will hate it, and some will be happy, unfortunately at the end you cant please everyone.

I noticed the amount of registrations during the last 7 days, but 100% activity on the forums?
It's not even close to that.

And why should someone be happy with restrictions?

Anyway, the future will show it.

I noticed the amount of registrations during the last 7 days, but 100% activity on the forums?
It's not even close to that.

And why should someone be happy with restrictions?

Anyway, the future will show it.

Well, I think maybe a happy medium would go down better here. How about you get say ten views of the forum, just to show you what goes on in there. Then you have to register for the full monty. This should be more than enough to enlighten people as to the nature of the forum activity. In my opinion there is no further reason for them not to register to use the full site after this as you have had enough opportunity to see what's going on.

watch out lurking is back

Last edited:
I know this is a little old already, but since today seems to be my getting-up-to-date-on-ahfm-threads day, i'll just leave my 2 cents here now anyway.

First, having zero Guests doesn't mean they all just went and registered. Some certainly just off and left.
But then again he didn't say that.
The biggest difference: Instead of few members and many guests there were suddenly more members and 0!! guests in the forums- for sure if you can't view without log-in/being registered!

Second, while maybe nice in theory, it's actually a pain in the a** to try and track or restrict people based on IP Adress or Cookies only.
Cookies are a sneeze to remove (good thing) and IP's change on reconnect for most dial-up users.
How about you get say ten views of the forum, just to show you what goes on in there.

SO my suggestion if the d/l links should be members only (is what firefox_muc already suggested).

I think it's quite obvious. vBulletin is PHP code only, if you have a license you have the code. If you have the code you can hack it any way you like.
Even easier the feature is already in vBulletin, in a way. You can see these pesky "You need to login to view this attachement" things all over the net on vB Forums.
Easiest solution of course, make the d/l links attachements and lock them for visitors.
Not my favourite, I'd need to download attachements with links just to get the links.

So my thought would be to modify the board a little and have special download links, that you can see as a user but would say "(Please?) Log in to see the Download Link" to lurkin' anonymouse.

On a side note, I also agree with firefox_muc on the other stuff.
These naggin "You don't have the latest version of flash, go download now" are annoying (in general) and most always wrong. If it won't let me see the flash I block the element.
And those yellow information bars trying to bring some "IE experience" to my Firefox are almost as annoying. Sorry to say, but that's so yesterday :D

Anyway that's my general opinion. I forgive all those little things on afterhours :friends:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back