Were looking for iPhone & Android Developers.

dan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there, Afterhours is constantly growing, to fulfill the growing experience, were looking for iPhone & Android developers. We have plans to built custom apps for mobile market so users can listen to Afterhours.FM on the go.

If your a developer please email us: info@afterhours.fm we be happy to hear from you.

Thank you

I am a web developer, I can't (as of yet) program in objective C, however, if you wanted a webapp I may be able to help.

I have actually been thinking about an AfterHours app for a while now..
If you are developing an app, I have a few ideas:

• Integrated Forum for that particular mix (eg: link to liveset)
  • Ability to post and/or live chat
  • Show current playing mix (and better yet, song)
  • Ability to view playlist with links to buy songs off beatport/junorecords etc.. (I personally would love this option, and you guys might be able to get a cut from beatport/junorecords)
  • links to DJ's website
  • Send contribution to AfterHours
  • Member feature: cache mix (store on phone)
  • Rate the mix (for the forum)
  • Ability to comment linked to a particular time in the mix (to show all the "wow this is awesome" comments at all the beat drops and buildups

Although I don't know objective C, If I could help out in any other way, let me know.

I'm thinking your best option may be to find a radio streaming app on the app store you like the look of and ask the developer if they would make a custom app for you guys.

That way, you may cut down on development costs.

hey mate wow amazing ideas, *writing them down* im in process of gathering up some developers by the way you mentioned... that has already created radio apps before.
Thanks for the feedback...

in regards to a web app would that just be a link that all cell phone can just go to it ?

hey there,

i am keen on developing the android app. . .
can i join?

hey mate wow amazing ideas, *writing them down* im in process of gathering up some developers by the way you mentioned... that has already created radio apps before.
Thanks for the feedback...

in regards to a web app would that just be a link that all cell phone can just go to it ?

see: Apple - Web apps - All Categories

web apps can be viewed by any phone with a web browser (assuming it can support whatever HTML version you use (eg: iphones/android/blackberry/modern phones can all support html5)

They can "feel" integrated and come up as a fullscreen app just like the apps from the app store, however, they are all free and there are certain limitations as its still just a glorified webpage.

The advantage is you can just link it to Leading Trance Radio - Afterhours to let people access it.
(maybe you could do both a simple webapp and a native app)

I know you can do things like play mp3s in the background and find out the position of the playing track, however, there may be issues with streaming directly.

The other problem is, that if you make a native app, you can charge a small sum for it to offset your development costs (though obviously this may dissuade people from buying it, which you don't want)

If you can find the resources, you're better off developing a native app.

If you do end up making the app, make sure you allow users to select both the bitrate (48,96,192) and let them adjust the buffer size.

This will ensure you can listen to the mixes without it cutting out over 2g connections (which is horrible when listening to trance)

I would love to help, but I haven't made an iphone app yet. Again, if you need help with graphics or some mockup designs etc... let me know

(I may just do some mockups anyways)

I like the sound of a dedicated app - I currently use an app called StreamFurious to listen to AH.fm on my Desire, which works well but I'd love to be able to click a link to whatever's playing and access the forums (like I do on the website).

I'm gonna subscribe to this thread :)

That sounds awesome!

I know I can't do this. :lol:
Since we got some ppl developing android & iphone apps at work, I know what i'm saying. I'm more the sysadmin and webdeveloper type of guy.
Though I know the basics on Android Apps, I really don't like Java.

What you might wanna look into (some ressources):
For building something that (should) work equally on both platforms
PhoneGap (Webapps in Javascript accessing native phone callbacks) - still beta, but free Source
Titanium (compile JS to ObjectiveC or something) - doesn't work as nicely as the styled up Website suggests ;) closed source

Also you can now punch interpreted Code into that Android (finally not Java :p): Perl,Python,Lua,JavaScript even Bash hacking via the Android Scripting Engine. ( android-scripting - Project Hosting on Google Code )
Not sure though if that's a viable way already, it's supposed to be useable from .apk's shortly.

Hope that helps.

Well whatever way you go it would be nice to have some integration of the website into those Apps (forums, chat, playlist). Some nice Ideas mentioned already.
That however would best be realized through a Dataprovider / API on the server side of things, where I might be able to help you out with some coding (depending on the stuff/prog. languages/systems you use on the servers and my little sparetime). Or some advanced HTML/CSS/JS stuff.

No idea If that's part of the job description, so I'm rather asking first.

If I can do something for my favorite radio station let me know. If you want more info please short PM or Mail, i'm not leaving my full skillset on the net (got too much work as it is already :p )

Good luck with building some massive App. I'd certainly help with some betatesting on my Android device.

i use ipop/iphone app shoutcast radio, but an afterhours application would be nice :D
i thought there was already one a few years ago, but it is deleted or something

Yeah there are lots of shoutcast streaming apps already.
I use streamfurious and xiialive (awesome skinning on that one).
So this special player would need a special USP (unique selling proposition) like having the playlist on device and setting some alarm for your favorite DJ set and stuff... whatever.
Well, tons of stuff you could possibly build :megacrazy: with the necessary skills :(

nice ideas all, really happy to see feedback for the apps... a few developers have emailed me, development for beta1 will start soon. :)

If you guys get the android app up and running..

so happy.

Which one mate? I got ze Legend. :) Had it since April, love it.

I have Hero, since last year. And I don't like it anymore :) :) Only what's good is google talk application :p camera sux. iPhone's camera is much better

Back