Windows Gadget

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjerre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Just thought a Window's Gadget for AH.FM could be good. A simple gadget showing the current show - and the current thread. Then you'd get a simple text feed and could do text replies or new posts.

Anyone done/seen that?

Windows Vista/7 Gadget

Hmm that is a nice idea. Well I can always try to make one :) I'll look into this if you want...

Dan
That means I would need your help with the links/scripts to retrieve current show, tune in, etc... from ah.fm so I can implement it.

How about:

Main gadget would be a form of about 150x150, containing:
- Some icon logo (png mainly for install)
- Some background (png)
- Current show
- Nr of listeners

If you click to expand, you see a side-panel, that is about 250~300 pixels wide (or more)

- Custom panel background (png)
- The various "tune in" links
- And the rest ... we can think about it

Bjerre
You spoke about posting via the gadget... it is rather small, so a gadget side-panel is perhaps not ideal to post. Hmm I'll check that. Better to test first and then see. :)

Let me know what you think

Hmm that is a nice idea. Well I can always try to make one :) I'll look into this if you want...

Dan
That means I would need your help with the links/scripts to retrieve current show, tune in, etc... from ah.fm so I can implement it.

How about:

- Some background (png)
- Current show
- Nr of listeners

If you click to expand, you see a side-panel, that is about 250~300 pixels wide (or more)

Bjerre
You spoke about posting via the gadget... it is rather small, so a gadget side-panel is perhaps not ideal to post. Hmm I'll check that. Better to test first and then see. :)

hi there please email me and i will provide all info :)
info@afterhours.fm thanks mate

Well the good news is I think I can pull it off, I made a very basic crappy start, to see if it could be done.

Now just the bling bling, design and functionality ... *kuh*

scrqi.png

I'll continue working on it when I have time and keep you updated :)

Dan

How about:

- Some background (png)
- Current show
- Nr of listeners

Bjerre

:good2: is what I think :)

I did make a small sample gadget, but couldn't deploy it to my Vista box. Think it's security settings :(

On the posting:
- was just thinking that the current thread could refresh in text mode in the gadget window
- then you could press a short-cut to enter a new post into the thread

:good2: is what I think :)

I did make a small sample gadget, but couldn't deploy it to my Vista box. Think it's security settings :(

On the posting:
- was just thinking that the current thread could refresh in text mode in the gadget window
- then you could press a short-cut to enter a new post into the thread

Yes I had some struggles with security and "invalid gadget package" too. Basically firefox didn't show a activeX installation window because IE security settings block it. (go figure :lol:). Once you adapt IE setting, it works perfectly everywhere. I'll post a .reg fix with the final release to solve it.

Hm only text of what people sent... It would make it smaller indeed, but how to get the name, what to do with title... this could become complicated hahaha

Maybe color of the name pointing to member status? like forum bottom does ...
Example

DJ+ text text text
member text text text

It would be nice. But how can I obtain that and doesn't this come awfully close to the IRC chat? :mask::mask: Note that this means we need to link to the login too, sure it's just another link :) I'm sure Dan can help with all this.

Yes I had some struggles with security and "invalid gadget package" too. Basically firefox didn't show a activeX installation window because IE security settings block it. (go figure :lol:). Once you adapt IE setting, it works perfectly everywhere. I'll post a .reg fix with the final release to solve it.

Hm only text of what people sent... It would make it smaller indeed, but how to get the name, what to do with title... this could become complicated hahaha

Maybe color of the name pointing to member status? like forum bottom does ...
Example

DJ+ text text text
member text text text

It would be nice. But how can I obtain that and doesn't this come awfully close to the IRC chat? :mask::mask: Note that this means we need to link to the login too, sure it's just another link :) I'm sure Dan can help with all this.

Yes, the security model is not something that "just works"... Should be easy as I'm Local Admin, but still no.

Well, yes it will make it more like a ticket service. You're right about that.

Let me know if there is something I can do to help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back