Which VST COMPRESSOR is the best????

Alex van ReeVe

Feel The Power Of Trance
Resident DJ
Reaction score
Hey there,

Got a question: which VST compressor is the best one?
There are several like: Sonic Timeworks CompressorX, Waves C-4, TC Native Essentials "X", Dominion, mda Dynamics, PSP VintageWarmer, SmartElectronix H2O etc.

Which one do you guys use?
Which one is the best for mastering guest mixes for instance and which one for general mastering??
Any comments appreciated,

Cheers

Alex

Interested to hear others' thoughts on this. I've experimented with compression on my mixes in the past (SC4) and not entirely happy with the results, always end up sounding flat. But there's also a lot of disagreement about this, so I hope we can get a useful discussion going here.

Density MK II (free), Power Core MX3, Power Core CL 01, native Cubase 5 simple one band compressor and Kjaerhus Classic compressor(free).

I use free stuff mostly... TAL, Kjaerhus etc. btw. Synth1 is great emulation of Nord Lead.

Last edited:
Endorphin is one of my favorite VST compressors.....it does something to the sound i cannot explain, but the results are very listenable ....

yeah, WAVES makes fantastic vst I must say, not only professional but after that the sound is clear nice and warm, of course when you know how to use them:)

I use Oxford too, really nice VST's

yeah, WAVES makes fantastic vst I must say, not only professional but after that the sound is clear nice and warm, of course when you know how to use them:)

I use Oxford too, really nice VST's

I agree, everybody agree ;)

so if you have Waves and Sonnox, you don't need more :)

For productions I've been using Cytomic Glue, PSP VW and Ozone 4. For my DJ sets i've used a variety of combinations of these as well, but most recently just some simple processing with the PSP VW.

Last edited:
of course...because most people (non professional) are using the original settings indeed.. :)

a good place to start though, until I get some experience with it :hmmm:

I use SoftTube's - Tube Tech CL 1B. It's awsome and got amazing reviews in Music Tech Mag & Computer Music Mag, I highly reccomend it. =)

Hey there,

Got a question: which VST compressor is the best one?
There are several like: Sonic Timeworks CompressorX, Waves C-4, TC Native Essentials "X", Dominion, mda Dynamics, PSP VintageWarmer, SmartElectronix H2O etc.

Which one do you guys use?
Which one is the best for mastering guest mixes for instance and which one for general mastering??
Any comments appreciated,

Cheers

Alex

Internal Ableton compressors and for mastering TC Finalizer 96K (awesome piece of hardware)

The WAVES C4 is brilliant :wow::wow:

Hmm VST's i have experimented alot with, i like Sylenth1, Nexus....they are extremely good! the Tone 2 gladiator is also very good. Vanguard i love for the lead. It is all a matter of preference i guess and if your ears like what they hear then go with it. With what is available today everyone should be happy. :smile:

URS Strip Pro Native is amazing for glue compression, the only one I use :smile:

URS Strip Pro Native is amazing for glue compression, the only one I use :smile:
ive tested it. was pretty good. i think i should go thru all of them i have here.

really wondering how the new ableton 9 compressor will behave - hope it will improve the current internal ableton one.

Back