removing music keeping the vocals

FLOsh

Registered
Reaction score
title says it all..does any1 know how to do it?? ive been looking on google for more then 2 hours now..and cant find anything .....or if some1 could get me the vocals from "markus schulz ft. ana criado - surreal" :)

Straight answer: You can't.

The only way you could go about it is to take away frequencies, but in the end that will make the vocal sound wonky.
Acapellas is the way to go.

Straight answer: You can't.

The only way you could go about it is to take away frequencies, but in the end that will make the vocal sound wonky.
Acapellas is the way to go.

Very true; so that leaves one question... Why do you want only the vocals?

to mix in accapellas! or put into a production

It's like trying to get the eggs back from a cake. :wink:

to mix in accapellas! or put into a production

I'd say: ask the original producer via mail whether you can get his approval and the original parts...

It is possible - however you'll need an instrumental of the same track you want the vocal from. And you'll need them of the same bit rate (preferable WAV). Invert the wave of one on the tracks, and when you play both exactly at the same time, you'll only be left with the vocal (as the waves cancel each other out). However, I've only ever successfully done this once.

It is possible - however you'll need an instrumental of the same track you want the vocal from. And you'll need them of the same bit rate (preferable WAV). Invert the wave of one on the tracks, and when you play both exactly at the same time, you'll only be left with the vocal (as the waves cancel each other out). However, I've only ever successfully done this once.

:iagree: couldn't say it better..

and Id defo say yeah of course you can get some very nice result by this way usually called "substraction" or "phase inverting"... I do most of my trance acapellas by this way. the result can be very very nice....depending on your sources. (I have some good example) sometimes you'll have a perfect clear acapella (without any other instruments) sometimes some noises but it can be imporved most of the time . ..sometimes a synthacapella depending on the stereo field of the whole track...where are the sounds around the voice I would say between " " are they on L+R+C or just L+R or C)

There some other cool tools which can be useful when no instrumental available for a subtraction if it's correctly used it's possible to decrease some elements. try ExtraboyPro or the well known "Center Channel Extractor" from Adobe Audition. (v2 or higher)

There's a third way, everybody can do it in a few clics, the result is direct.
I mean no phase inverting, no EQs...

I did some and the result is awseome..it's a DVD 5.1 extraction.
the tool you need :

-the song in DVD 5.1 (héhé.. not easy I know..but..)
-a DVD audio extractor software..
-enough space on your HD. (wav)

open it, choose the song you want to extract the audio from, start the extraction and it will split the song in 5 separate channels..(5 tracks in .wav format)

Each channel have is own instruments.. the main voice as allways for contemporary music will be on the center channel, (channel 03/track 03.wav)

in summary :

-put your dvd..
-choose track(s)
-start the extraction
-when done, go to the source folder and listen to the channel03..

voilà.

sometimes you'll have some percussions under the voice.. or everthing which is in mono. but it's easy to be masked under a louder kick. but can be imporved...

so yeah it's possible, depending on the source you have.

and finally..personnaly I don't suggest the classic Vocal Remover (good for karaoké fans) or a Reduction Noise plugins... it kills the voice..

hoping it's not boring and it'll helps ..and sorry for my approximative english :)

Last edited:
Thanks for that tutorial, Ben. :)

And no one does it better! :good2:

Back