Vilence issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vilence

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone

In this thread I would like to address my concerns about the broadcasts lately on afterhours..

First I want to point out that I understand there are issues sometimes which are not depending on the AH.FM crew .. like inet issues and stuff like that.. but again I believe this is something that STILL can be monitored.

I believe being an AH.FM crew is not a volunteer's job and there is some amount of money involved, plus free entrances/drinks and stuff like dat.. Stuff you get for free to do your job.. right?

As an AH.FM supported (Even tho im not donating like 1000 dollars per month) im a bit disappointed by the quality.. because I think there are enough funds around for a quality and properly done broadcast.

I believe its not normal to get the broadcast soundcheck done during the first set which is already done ... from what I know ah.fm always goes earlier on the parties to set it all done .. however 1st set of EVERY broadcast is cut in half .. and messed up 10 times (if u dont believe me check the threads of the last 10 broadcasts)... examples .. Lumi BTE, Tytanium Sessions, Lumi Beach..

Even if there are internet issues on the venue this can be checked before that.. "ok lets run the broadcast while the background music is running, before the DJ goes on stage" .. - for example..
You dont need the main act or full volume or whatever to perform an internet check, do u?

Before starting a broadcast I believe there are certain questions a person should answer

"Is the recorder working"
"Is the internet working"
"is it all set for broadcast"

In order to answer these questions I guess u need to test all this.. when do u have to do that? BEFORE the actual broadcast.. am i right?

I'm not going to comment on the amount of jingles sometimes the sets have on and the lack of balance in volume.. its all pretty clear..

So my point is.. I believe there are certain things to be reminded on the crews doing the broadcasts and things should get tighter

AH.FM needs more dedicated ppl to do that (imo).. and I really hope my msg will be read and considered at least a little bit.

If we are gonna do something, lets do it well.. right?

I hope there wont be attacks against me, because I wont tolerate being bashed because of sharing my opinion.

Tnx!

P.S. I remembered something that happened at Lumi beach last weekend... I got an sms the broadcast is not working and I had to show it to one of the members in order to be solved.. well.. come on.

Last edited:
Just to point out I am aware of the technical issue with the mixer during Manuel Le Saux's set and its something that happens .. so there is no other option that cut off the stream.. Im talkin about other stuff, which are pretty much depending and able to be monitored by the crew.
Technical fails can be predicted and its something that happens.

Like 99% you're saying is no truth Vilence. You have no rights to post things like this especially becaue you're a friend of the people who broadcasted. Sorry you lost all my respect.

Just because the broadcast team are my friends I'm not allowed to share my opinion about the quality of it?

I'm a realistic person and I don't get things personally, sadly u do ;)

I am not talking only about luminosity and only about dutch broadcasts.. im talking in general because same thing happened with Tytanium Sessions.. and lots more.

Just stop reading between the lines and stop attacking me and realize where the actual problem is.

If i am not right, then prove it

Last edited:
You dont know how broadcasting works yourself. So talking about things like here up above is risky. It's just wrong to post stuff like you do especially in the situation you are. Maybe you could first just ask us whats going on instead of sharing your interpretation with thousand people on a forum.

I had a talk with other crew members already. Then I shared my opinion here..

something else?

And in what situation am I?

My real friends wont get mad at me because of something like that..

So far from the AH.FM members ive spoked u and Jeffrey are the only ones attacking .. other crew members even agreed with me. I'm sorry but that gives me thoughts.

So far you are not proving I am wrong with anything. So u better cut off your personal behaviour towards me and look beyond that to solve the situation

Last edited:
First of all... if you want to make us look stupid say it to our face first before going public. You haven't spoken to me...

Now.. I think that I speak for the rest of the bcast crew when I counter all this.

I believe being an AH.FM crew is not a volunteer's job and there is some amount of money involved, plus free entrances/drinks and stuff like dat.. Stuff you get for free to do your job.. right?

Even though the stuff we get or not, it IS voluntarily. We use our own equipment bought from our own money. We spend our own time without having a salary. No detaisl needed, but I can ensure everyone that none of the moeny dissapears in our personal pockets.

I believe its not normal to get the broadcast soundcheck done during the first set which is already done ... from what I know ah.fm always goes earlier on the parties to set it all done .. however 1st set of EVERY broadcast is cut in half .. and messed up 10 times (if u dont believe me check the threads of the last 10 broadcasts)... examples .. Lumi BTE, Tytanium Sessions, Lumi Beach..

We DO do the soundchecks and stuff before the party starts. Patrick, Marco or me always have some cd's to test aroudn with. But like you said it's not always on our hands. You think we would **** up the bcasts on purpose? If something happens it's something unforseen, like a clubowner being on the internet in his office or some other traffic problem. Or a cable that get's damaged.. Or the DJ's up the master when the party proceeds. Or DJ's say NO last minute because they don't have a good communication with their management. Or there's no equipment at all till the very last second to test.
Sometimes we indeed just hope for the best. We are with few people who know how to broadcast.. none of em live in Miami for example, so we have to go outside the crew.
Like I said we are a voluntary "business". We are not pro and on top of all we are lovers of the parties it self. We would go to the party anyways to party, but we decided to share the experience by bcasting it while we are there. We are bummed by it as well that we can't just set stuff up and run a flawless bcast and go out partying without looking back to the laptop.

You experienced alot of broadcasts with us you know how it all works...
I don't wanna get more personal now, but don't put US in a shitty light by making us look stupid.

Shit happens.. and remember this is a free radio station, we are limited on money and resources. If we can upgrade we will.. which means better quality.

Bottomline: Be happy if a broadcast succeeds. If it fails.. better luck next time, we just go back to original schedule. Even as a donator imo you don;t have a right to complain about something that's done for free.

Last edited:

Maybe because you can't offer them AH.fm guestlist spots?
It's called: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Your post becomes quite personal when you hit up topics like "I know there's money involved and w/e"

I explained the legit part of your concerns to the community now, but don't flame us in return if we do give you a personal response on the personal level between your lines....

Now... since this topic is here. Anyone else has some feedback on all this?

I wont agree with closing this thread since its not crossing any lines of disrespect, or any rule the forum has.
Its in the right section for Feedback which i am giving.

First of all... if you want to make us look stupid say it to our face first before going public. You haven't spoken to me...

Is it a must to go and talk to everyone when there is actual AH.FM forum with a section where u can post such things? :) I dont have so much time to talk with the crew from all over the world u know.

like a clubowner being on the internet in his office

This can be done before the party starts. Check the internet, is it okay or not.. should it be adressed to someone to start using it or not.

or some other traffic problem.

Thats why a team doesnt consist in one person.

Or a cable that get's damaged.. Or the DJ's up the master when the party proceeds. Or DJ's say NO last minute because they don't have a good communication with their management.

These are thigns which dont happen every day and are not depending on u so im not judging here asm entioned in my post above, if u even bothered to read it.

Or there's no equipment at all till the very last second to test.

Im sorry is this my job? :)

Like I said we are a voluntary "business". We are not pro and on top of all we are lovers of the parties it self. We would go to the party anyways to party, but we decided to share the experience by bcasting it while we are there. We are bummed by it as well that we can't just set stuff up and run a flawless bcast and go out partying without looking back to the laptop.

Well ppl who are not pro's should be open to learn. I am not saying ill be the one teaching cause I dont know anything about it.. but accept critics..
When a single mistake keeps repeating then obviously there is a problem, right?

You experienced alot of broadcasts with us you know how it all works...
I don't wanna get more personal now, but don't put US in a shitty light by making us look stupid.

I am not putting u in a shitty light, I am addressing a concern which u are taking personally for some reason.

Shit happens.. and remember this is a free radio station, we are limited on money and resources. If we can upgrade we will.. which means better quality.

We are not talking about lack of technics here .. please read my post again.

Maybe because you can't offer them AH.fm guestlist spots?
It's called: Don't look a gift horse in the mouth

Your post becomes quite personal when you hit up topics like "I know there's money involved and w/e"

I explained the legit part of your concerns to the community now, but don't flame us in return if we do give you a personal response on the personal level between your lines....

Well im telling for the 100th time im not being personal here.. if it was personal i wouldve named the ppl i am concerned about or something like dat..
Its a general problem that has to be discussed imo and Im sure lots of the ppl who are waking up in the middle of the night fro the braodcast and wait for it to start for 40 mins when it was scheduled to start 40mins ago would agree.. and not only them :)

I had a talk with other crew members already. Then I shared my opinion here..

something else?

And in what situation am I?

So far from the AH.FM members ive spoked u and Jeffrey are the only ones attacking .. other crew members even agreed with me. I'm sorry but that gives me thoughts.

So far you are not proving I am wrong with anything. So u better cut off your personal behaviour towards me and look beyond that to solve the situation

I don't feel I have anything to prove. I just interpret it kind of personal which so my responds were like more raging. So I take back anything personal I was about to feed you with info you need to get a different view on the whole situation, meanwhile jeffrey is about to posts most of it.

Just a few facts:

1. Many people are stressing at the start of the event. Even when people guarantee us exclusivity of the internet bandwidth it mostly still happens at the start that the stream buffers because the club hast communicated to all of the staff they are not allowed to use internet. Also, many clubs are not reliable. They upload, download meanwhile they promise us they dont. Lately our UMTS got stolen. Unfortunately since we are voluntary and dont have any profit, for now that's too expensive to get to use for live broadcasts.

2. We're working a whole day, so what's wrong with getting free drinks for the days? Girlfriends of dj's who don't work get free drinks as well.

Points like these:
"Is the recorder working"
"Is the internet working"

are always checked before we start a broadcast. On start usually most internet issues happen which are unforseen. Just like unforseen recorder issues, which rarely happen.

4. "is it all set for broadcast"

It's the responsibility of the organisation to figure out if dj's and managements are okay with live broadcasts or not. In case of lets say Marcel Woods, his management was okay with it. But 1 minute before airtime he started yelling NO BROADCAST ''my tunes are worth 10.000 euro'' Ok so we could do two things. Broadcast or go back to regular stream. If we would broadcast it it would harshly damage the reputation of Luminosity. In cases like this, we have to take it down. Once again it's the responsibility of the organisation to confirm broadcasts with dj's and managements.

5. Internet checks are always happening weeks before the broadcast. If the upload speed doesn't have the minimal standards for our broadcasts we dont broadcast live.

6. From out of your first post I can see you totally have no idea how broadcasting works. and any time if anything goes wrong, We're saying, this has to go well next time. Many factors are unforeseen. I have experiences with dancefoundation and other broadcasting companies. It's kinda impossible to have everything going flawless each broadcast.

Once again, sorry for my earlier comments. But I doubt you know all that comes to broadcasting live. as far as I can see you're writing about your opinion, so that's (okay).

Last edited:
I wont keep repeating myself just because u dont want to read what ive wrote ure just pulling out things i never said.

Whatever, can I please see the opinion of other ppl as well, and can u please calm down both of u"?

Now... since this topic is here. Anyone else has some feedback on all this?

I sure do, on Violeta's post. Coz first of all she seems to have observed how things were going irl quite well for someone who couldn't even stand on her legs anymore.

Second, it IS a volunteers job. In fact, ppl have been putting more in than the payment makes up for. I for one have paid loads of shit varying from food to gas and parking expenses, because the money was needed for equipment. And free drinks... do you really think receiving 10 coins for 4 ppl broadcasting an at least 6 hr part is good?! Those guys pay for most of their own drinks and all their own food. They invest in equipment, travel expenses etc. (I didn't hear you complain when you were put on the guestlist btw)

I have been at almost every broadcast from NL so far and soundchecks are done before it starts. That doesn't mean everything can be flawless. They don't have the ridiculously expensive materials the bigger 'broadcasters' do.

Now I may not know all the technical details of broadcasting, but I do know that everyone involved has been putting in 100%.

I agree with you that it's not always perfect and that there are things that should be improved (e.g. if it's not immediately noticed when b-cast is down). This, however, is not as easy as you think it is. It involves money, time and a chance to learn from your mistakes.

Eventhough this is your opinion and you are free to have one, I think it very weak to post this right on the forum before talking to anyone of the b-cast team about it. If you're saying these guys are not dedicated enough you are just talking sh*t.

Last edited:
I wont agree with closing this thread since its not crossing any lines of disrespect, or any rule the forum has.
Its in the right section for Feedback which i am giving.

Is it a must to go and talk to everyone when there is actual AH.FM forum with a section where u can post such things? :) I dont have so much time to talk with the crew from all over the world u know.
You jsut said you spoken to me.. don;t change storries.

This can be done before the party starts. Check the internet, is it okay or not.. should it be adressed to someone to start using it or not.
Internet WAS OK, untill he used it and we kicked him out of his own office.

These are thigns which dont happen every day and are not depending on u so im not judging here asm entioned in my post above, if u even bothered to read it.
You are judging as a whole.. I'm just explaining all sorts of unforseen problems. Dont get too personal now with me for not reading your post. I quoted almost all of it!

Im sorry is this my job? :)
Not ours either.. Like I SAID, another unforseen thing, that the club doesn't have the mixer and cdj's installed yet.

Well ppl who are not pro's should be open to learn. I am not saying ill be the one teaching cause I dont know anything about it.. but accept critics..
When a single mistake keeps repeating then obviously there is a problem, right?
Now if you READ MY post.. it's not something repeating, it's somethign unforsene everytime. Also like I said (between the lines) if you have no knowledge of things, keep it ssst untill you know what the real deal is all about. We ARE open to learn, we using a other set-up lately plus it's the only reasonw hy this topic is still open.
[/QUOTE]

Now any constructive feedback, so I dont have to explain myself/us towards one person the whole time?

I cant believe how long some of you went and how personal u all got it :)

Incredible.

And yes this is something im saying to offend u because the 3 of you already crossed some big lines here.
Just shut up and chill out a little, seems there is a lot of pressure around u and let someone speak wihtout being afraid that a bunch of little kiddo's like u (yes age doesnt matter, you just proved it) will attack him, as they've formed an "anti-critics" fan club.

Last edited:

Incredible.

I think you did a bad job on the way you expressed in your 1st post. It could have been more subtle and please tell me how things like ''broadcasters not being dedicated to do this'' is something which wont be interpret personal?

Incredible.

This should be a hint that maybe your post is a bit more personal than you would want others to believe.

Incredible.

And yes this is something im saying to offend u because the 3 of you already crossed some big lines here.

"Violeta.. Your voluntary work is unappreciated! Oh and your hobby sucks!"

How can that be not personal?

Please understand we appreciate feedback, tips and tricks and all and even help on location and/or financially wise.. but you can't be this serious about being surprised about us getting personal with adding some of the things you did in your post.

Now community please let this "personal vendetta" not keep you from posting feedback.. I want some opinions from neutral persons, so this topic is any useful in the future.

I think, it sounds stupid that they start checking everything during 1st set... and I do not believe it.

I agree with this. People responsible for broadcasts can not normally party because of it. You may say it is their choice. Yes, surely it is but it is for us, not for them. They are there and can enjoy it anyway. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back