Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD's AM2

AMD's AM2

For all of you Die-hard AMD fans:

The new socket from AMD is slayed out sometime at the end of this month or begining of June. The benchmarks don't seem very impressive with DDR2 at the moment, but in the future that could change. For a while, I was hearing that AMD was going to skip out on DDR2 since it wouldn't offer much of a performance boost for them, but I guess now they see a market in it.

From what I have read, apparently it's not really worth upgrading to the AM2 socket, unless you have something thats fairly old, or buying a new system. This has to do pretty much with little performance gain with a system using DDR2 800.

I wonder if there would be a benefit if there was 64bit software available. I mean there already are 64bit processors and such, but nothing really that currently utilizes it. I guess its a huge market propoganda to get people to jump on the 64bit bandwagon, sort of like the PCI-Express. I mean PCI-Express is theoretically faster, but I have yet to see a huge perferformance leap for the time being.

I guess we will have to wait and see... everyones comment would be different depending on what they do... I know i need a new LCD, CRT is killing me
    Most listened to Trance Radio - AH.FM
    Love AH.FM? become today.

I think coding in 64bit must take quite sometime. I bet it's a bit more complicated as well. That, and at the moment there isn't reall much demand for those kinds of programs.

HAHA! Sucks to be you. I have an LCD. I am so glad I swithced to one because now there is more room on the desk and its easier to tranport to LANs and stuff. Make sure to get at least a 8ms LCD if you do get one. I like my 19" LCD.

Universal Language
    I'll be upgrading my desktop PC later this year. The one I have is getting on a bit, and can't really handle the audio processing I do.

I have a work laptop that I use for my mixing...it's a Toshiba Tecra M3.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading to 64bit - and getting some serious crunching power.
    Download @ DreamensioN.net
    Podcast Subscribe @ Feedburner

What kind of specs in your machince? Do you have a wack load of ram?

Universal Language
    Yeah on the laptop I have 2Gb of ram.

My desktop has 512mb of ram - which is still enough to do mixing etc... but when I actually do the recordings I always use the laptop. The desktop is ok just for practising etc.

If I was every to do a live performance - it'd be on the laptop for sure.
    Download @ DreamensioN.net
    Podcast Subscribe @ Feedburner

Arrow

i need to get an lcd as well... this crt is taking up too much space... its a good crt... but yeah...

philips has a 4 year or 5 year manufacture warranty FYI if you are looking to get an LCD. I love my 19" Philips.

YEah Laptop are so much easier to carry around especially if you DJ. What kind laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by jedrekmaly
    philips has a 4 year or 5 year manufacture warranty FYI if you are looking to get an LCD. I love my 19" Philips.

YEah Laptop are so much easier to carry around especially if you DJ. What kind laptop?
    I got a Gateway 21" Widescreen LCD - http://accessories.gateway.com/Acces...243_ProdDetail

8 ms, it's a brand new PC I bought last month. I had to buy this LCD screen seperately though. It was a rough $799.99 |:-/... worth every bit of it though. I can turn this shit in any angle I want, it's pretty chill dude. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Jorda
    I got a Gateway 21" Widescreen LCD - http://accessories.gateway.com/Acces...243_ProdDetail

8 ms, it's a brand new PC I bought last month. I had to buy this LCD screen seperately though. It was a rough $799.99 |:-/... worth every bit of it though. I can turn this shit in any angle I want, it's pretty chill dude. :D
    That's insane! 21 inches is huge! :D I still couldn't justify spending that much on an LCD, but eveyrone has a different budget and needs.

So did you get a gateway desktop pc?

That's insane! 21 inches is huge! :D I still couldn't justify spending that much on an LCD, but eveyrone has a different budget and needs.

So did you get a gateway desktop pc?
    No Gateway Desktop PC.

• HP Desktop PC
    • Pentium D 930 (Dual Processing Cores) (Viiv Chipset, latest chipset out right now)
    • 3.2 Ghz
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 300 GB SATA Hard Drive
    • Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
    • nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX Graphic Card (w/ 4 GPU's)

Quote Originally Posted by Jorda
    No Gateway Desktop PC.

• HP Desktop PC
    • Pentium D 930 (Dual Processing Cores) (Viiv Chipset, latest chipset out right now)
    • 3.2 Ghz
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 300 GB SATA Hard Drive
    • Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
    • nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX Graphic Card (w/ 4 GPU's)
    Sweet man. 4 GPUs???? You game or something?

No double posting biatch, . Anyway, yeah I game once in a while when I have time - explains why. ;)

I didn't realize I double posted. Are you running SLI or something?

I didn't realize I double posted. Are you running SLI or something?
    No problem. And yeah, I'm running SLI for the GeForce 7900 GTX (Quad SLI). It's awesome man, I can play any game on the Ultimate Quality settings. Even F.E.A.R, but some games are just too high quality, like EverQuest 2.

You'd only be able to play EQ2 on Ultimate Quality only with Windows Vista, because it has DirectX 10 which supports amazing shading and more features. But thats not a problem. At least I can play games really smooth, F.E.A.R is my favourite because of it's awesome gfx.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information