AMD's AM2

jedrekmx

Registered
Reaction score
For all of you Die-hard AMD fans:

The new socket from AMD is slayed out sometime at the end of this month or begining of June. The benchmarks don't seem very impressive with DDR2 at the moment, but in the future that could change. For a while, I was hearing that AMD was going to skip out on DDR2 since it wouldn't offer much of a performance boost for them, but I guess now they see a market in it.

From what I have read, apparently it's not really worth upgrading to the AM2 socket, unless you have something thats fairly old, or buying a new system. This has to do pretty much with little performance gain with a system using DDR2 800.

I wonder if there would be a benefit if there was 64bit software available. I mean there already are 64bit processors and such, but nothing really that currently utilizes it. I guess its a huge market propoganda to get people to jump on the 64bit bandwagon, sort of like the PCI-Express. I mean PCI-Express is theoretically faster, but I have yet to see a huge perferformance leap for the time being.

I guess we will have to wait and see... everyones comment would be different depending on what they do... I know i need a new LCD, CRT is killing me :(

I think coding in 64bit must take quite sometime. I bet it's a bit more complicated as well. That, and at the moment there isn't reall much demand for those kinds of programs.

HAHA! Sucks to be you. I have an LCD. I am so glad I swithced to one because now there is more room on the desk and its easier to tranport to LANs and stuff. Make sure to get at least a 8ms LCD if you do get one. I like my 19" LCD.

I'll be upgrading my desktop PC later this year. The one I have is getting on a bit, and can't really handle the audio processing I do.

I have a work laptop that I use for my mixing...it's a Toshiba Tecra M3.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading to 64bit - and getting some serious crunching power.

What kind of specs in your machince? Do you have a wack load of ram?

Yeah on the laptop I have 2Gb of ram.

My desktop has 512mb of ram - which is still enough to do mixing etc... but when I actually do the recordings I always use the laptop. The desktop is ok just for practising etc.

If I was every to do a live performance - it'd be on the laptop for sure.

i need to get an lcd as well... this crt is taking up too much space... its a good crt... but yeah...

philips has a 4 year or 5 year manufacture warranty FYI if you are looking to get an LCD. I love my 19" Philips.

YEah Laptop are so much easier to carry around especially if you DJ. What kind laptop?

jedrekmaly said:
philips has a 4 year or 5 year manufacture warranty FYI if you are looking to get an LCD. I love my 19" Philips.

YEah Laptop are so much easier to carry around especially if you DJ. What kind laptop?

I got a Gateway 21" Widescreen LCD - http://accessories.gateway.com/Acce...4/20_D1_21+inch+LCD_381955/1534243_ProdDetail

8 ms, it's a brand new PC I bought last month. I had to buy this LCD screen seperately though. It was a rough $799.99 |:-/... worth every bit of it though. I can turn this shit in any angle I want, it's pretty chill dude. :D

Jorda said:
I got a Gateway 21" Widescreen LCD - http://accessories.gateway.com/Acce...4/20_D1_21+inch+LCD_381955/1534243_ProdDetail

8 ms, it's a brand new PC I bought last month. I had to buy this LCD screen seperately though. It was a rough $799.99 |:-/... worth every bit of it though. I can turn this shit in any angle I want, it's pretty chill dude. :D

That's insane! 21 inches is huge! :D I still couldn't justify spending that much on an LCD, but eveyrone has a different budget and needs. :p

So did you get a gateway desktop pc?

jedrekmaly said:
That's insane! 21 inches is huge! :D I still couldn't justify spending that much on an LCD, but eveyrone has a different budget and needs. :p

So did you get a gateway desktop pc?

No Gateway Desktop PC.

• HP Desktop PC
  • Pentium D 930 (Dual Processing Cores) (Viiv Chipset, latest chipset out right now)
  • 3.2 Ghz
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 300 GB SATA Hard Drive
  • Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
  • nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX Graphic Card (w/ 4 GPU's)

Jorda said:
No Gateway Desktop PC.

• HP Desktop PC
  • Pentium D 930 (Dual Processing Cores) (Viiv Chipset, latest chipset out right now)
  • 3.2 Ghz
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 300 GB SATA Hard Drive
  • Wireless Keyboard/Mouse
  • nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX Graphic Card (w/ 4 GPU's)

Sweet man. 4 GPUs???? You game or something?

No double posting biatch, :p. Anyway, yeah I game once in a while when I have time - explains why. ;)

I didn't realize I double posted. Are you running SLI or something?

jedrekmaly said:
I didn't realize I double posted. Are you running SLI or something?

No problem. And yeah, I'm running SLI for the GeForce 7900 GTX (Quad SLI). It's awesome man, I can play any game on the Ultimate Quality settings. Even F.E.A.R, but some games are just too high quality, like EverQuest 2.

You'd only be able to play EQ2 on Ultimate Quality only with Windows Vista, because it has DirectX 10 which supports amazing shading and more features. But thats not a problem. At least I can play games really smooth, F.E.A.R is my favourite because of it's awesome gfx. :)

That's sweet. I guess ATI has a new beast in the making... the R600 with unified shader architecture. 64 shader processors! That sucker probably produces a fair bit of heat and requires a power station to power it. It's sick how much juice systems are going to need for future hardware. Crazy how much computer technology has advanced in the past few years let alone the last 10 or more.

And with all do respect, I am in no hurry to get Windows Vista. Quite honestly I am not impressed with the delays, the system requirements that one will need to run it (no way in hell I am going to go out and get specific parts just to be able to run Vista properly - I just spent over a grand on upgrading to a 64 with some nice toys just at the start of the year) and why bother upgrading when windows XP Pro has run stable for me since the beta before the release. I honestly think upgrading to vista is asking for trouble - playing with unnecssary fire.

What I do want to see is how fast it will be cracked/hacked and what the percentage of piracy will be. Windows XP set a high record and rumour has it that Vista will be setting an all time record.

jedrekmaly said:
That's sweet. I guess ATI has a new beast in the making... the R600 with unified shader architecture. 64 shader processors! That sucker probably produces a fair bit of heat and requires a power station to power it. It's sick how much juice systems are going to need for future hardware. Crazy how much computer technology has advanced in the past few years let alone the last 10 or more.

And with all do respect, I am in no hurry to get Windows Vista. Quite honestly I am not impressed with the delays, the system requirements that one will need to run it (no way in hell I am going to go out and get specific parts just to be able to run Vista properly - I just spent over a grand on upgrading to a 64 with some nice toys just at the start of the year) and why bother upgrading when windows XP Pro has run stable for me since the beta before the release. I honestly think upgrading to vista is asking for trouble - playing with unnecssary fire.

What I do want to see is how fast it will be cracked/hacked and what the percentage of piracy will be. Windows XP set a high record and rumour has it that Vista will be setting an all time record.

Yeah thats definately positive. Although, Vista has nice features, I agree with you that you'd need a really good computer to run the OS equitably; I think it's worth a try and see what the results are anyway.

A new ATI card now, eh? Can you link me up with some enlightment on that? It'd be a little too crazy for ATI to release yet another graphic card. Blood hell, I thought the X1900 XT and the 7900 GTX were good enough, if another comes out... I'm not going to waste my money on it. 7900 GTX is a bit more then a usual graphic card out there (like the GeForce 6800).

Back to Windows Vista. Yes. An application cracking group, (like PARADOX, RENEGaDE, WinBETA, etc.), will definately crack the visual library in a matter of days. Some of the dudes in cracking groups are guru's it's not even funny. We'll see what happens. If Vista does get cracked then I'll be downloading it most likely. If not, I'd buy it anyway because the price isn't too high up the charts for me. It's worth a try, no? :p

Here's the list of versions for Windows Vista:

Windows Vista Home (for home use)
Windows Vista Professional (for gaming)
Windows Vista Ultimate (for developers, such as programmers, and game developers. Also gaming)

I'm going for the Ultimate version because I program a bit and I also
play games when I have some time. It's about $699.99, thats not too bad. I'm hoping that it gets cracked though. Muahahaha! Although, I don't really have too much time to program and play games, I'm with music and DJing every hour/day (just an expression), lol. Whatever, we'll see. If it's good for producing aswell then it's mine! :)

Last edited:
I think I'm going to buy the Nvidia GeForce G80. That thing is unreal, wow... And when Vista comes out with DirectX 10, the GeForce G80 and DX10 combined will absolutely rip every game out there. We will get to play any high-end graphic game at it's top settings, smoothly. :)

Thanks for the info man, thats something else right there man.

Oh for sure. I just love ATI not only because they are a candian company, but so far I have not had any problems with their products. I haven't turned back since I moved from a GF4 Ti4600 to a 9800 Pro, then to a x850 pro that can be pushed to a x850 XT PE. It's nice that both Nvidia and ATI are around because there is competition and that drives the prices down.

The G80 os sick, and I am curious how the newest TOP ATI will match up with the TOP Nvidia.

Sounds like you have money to burn! :p If you're considering a G80 and you just got the 7900 GTX's in SLI!

Back