What does trance mean to you and what has it done for you?

Zephyr

Registered
Reaction score
Thought I would see what everyone else's opinion was. Yeah, It is a long post but I wanted to share with everyone else what trance has done for me.

What does Trance mean to you?

Trance music is a global community that does not judge you based on what you listen to. Never have I heard a negative word said about someone when they mention they listen to trance. It is a word, a style that unites so many across the globe. From the outside, I am a business professional doing battle in the corporate wasteland but inside I define myself by my music. I am proud to say “I am entranced.” Nowhere else have I found such a unity of dreamers all moved by the same thing. DJ’s, producers, and listeners alike support each other, they build off of each other and every single day, I am exposed to more and more trance/electronic music than I could ever listen to.

What has Trance done for you?

It gave me acceptance in an unforgiving world. Through high school (7 years ago to give a frame of reference) when everyone was trying to fit in, there were the audio “haves (people that listened to rap and hippity hop)” and the audio “have nots (people that listened to 90’s music still.”) I was a “have not.” I was the oldest of my siblings and never had any guidance of what popular music was. I wanted so desperately to fit in but it would not have mattered anyway, teenagers can be so cruel. I tried listening to the music that they did but I never understood it, what was the draw of listening to rappers boasting about doing bad things then complaining when you got arrested? Also, I was judged so harshly as “not being cool enough to listen to their music.” Once again, teenagers can be so cruel.

I loved the music of the 90’s but I knew that music was continually changing. The artists that I loved would grow older and eventually leave the music scene. My continual fear was that “oh no, is rap the evolution of music?” The way I figured, I had three options: I could either continue to listen to my 90’s music for the rest of my life, I could try to force myself to like rap, or I could try to find a new genre.

Long Way Home by ATB was the first exposure I had to trance as I picked it up somewhere on the information highway. Finally, I had found something different, something unique and inspiring that I could call my own...A warm embrace washed over my body the first time I heard it...Every time I hear it I...I am brought back to that place--that time...that dream when I was so alone but inside I was so happy.

To me, it was and still is an incredible track. However, since I live in the Midwest, no one else I knew had been exposed to trance/electronic and if they had, they considered it “damn computer music.” Without any guidance, I foolishly tried getting every track listed as “trance or techno” on Limewire (I know, I know, I am a terrible person) to expand my trance collection.

A few tracks from In Search of Sunrise vol. 1 and 3 eventually ended up somewhere on my hard drive. Hear You Now (Grand Chillas Mix) and Summer Calling quickly became two of my favorite tracks. There it was, my future of music, DJ Tiesto. I was convinced that I would just listen to him forever.

I would bide my remaining time in high school by listening to my trance/techno tracks without ever finding tracks as good as the ones from Tiesto (Limewire had a lot of crap back then.) I never wanted to share my taste in trance music or any of the tracks that I had. No one else, in my mind, could listen because it was too beautiful and so uniquely mine. They would never understand anyway.

College came and I found Anjunabeats vol. 4... This cd changed my life and opened me up to a plethora of new trance/electronic music by so many different artists.

8 years later and I am still finding new trance music every single day. I will listen to around 9 hours of mixes each day and rarely do I ever hear the same tracks. There are so many new tracks, mixes and singles to listen to. Every one of my friends that I have exposed to trance has asked me for more electronic music to listen to.

So there you have it. Me, content to be in my own little corner of the world with my headphones in and an everlasting supply of trance I have never heard.

Discuss?

Well said mister!

For me, personally, I don't think it is Trance in general, but more often trance then other genres, that really helps me think clearly. It soothes the mind and calms me down in more ways then one. Like you, I have my headset on (G35's) and just get lost for 15+ hours a day working on some of the most complex code on the web and I found that a calm mind and body really helps to get through the long hours and complex code.

Long story short, what this streaming audio channel has done for me is to help in my day to day work. It has taken the challenges and helped to ease them. South Africa is not as up to date as America when it comes to technology and especially music and night live, so I am very grateful for the escape this streaming channel has brought to me. The ability to just forget about the real world and get lost in the melodic symphonies that trance has to offer. I find myself quite often just leaning back in my chair with my eyes closed and flowing with the music.

So I wish that there was a radio station in the US that was dedicated to electronic music but I do not think that there is the market for it. I found di.fm a long time ago (before they started making a station for every single sound/genre of electronica.) I was able to find a bunch of songs that I really liked but when I found AH.fm, it really made me realize that yeah, songs are great, but there are so many incredibly talented dj's that mix phenomenal sets together. Finding these sets made it a lot easier to concentrate writing papers in Grad. school instead of listening to individual songs that I would need to change every several minutes. Long mixes really made it easy for me to appreciate what the dj was feeling; what they wanted US to feel

I listen to this music and it always makes me smile; forget about the hardships of the day, week, or year. I have 4 meetings this week, there is snow on the ground, its Monday, and I have written this reply 3 separate times only to have my browser crash...but I have headphones and an infinite supply of trance...so its going to be a wonderful week!

"I guess we are the type of people that will watch thousands pass by, as we sit under a willow tree and look at the sky knowing only a few ever discover music like this on a serene day"

Back