Becoming a DJ

bennyshian

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have finally decided to start my dream of becoming a DJ, but I have no idea how to start.

I want to start off mixing some songs, or creating remixes, before producing my own music.

Is it possible to start learning and making good quality music without any equipment (only using headphones and a laptop (program)?

I eventually will buy the other equipment, once I believe I am good enough to make money DJing

I was also thinking of buying ableton, and just using that to mix music. Would that program be too complicated for a beginner to use?

Are there any tips you guys have, as you can probably see, I have no idea what I'm doing!

Thanks!!!

you are a good man. Believe that your dream will come true!

I recommend Virtual DJ for any beginners and just watch some helpful tutorials on YouTube on getting started or book DJ lessons locally or if your really serious about this then do both, the more practice you get the better you will be.

There are programs that use algorithms to determine the key of a song and then categorize your library based on that. That will definitely help making sure your mixes sound more cohesive.

Some dj's use ableton, but honestly it's mostly a production software. It's definitely useful if you have equipment, and actually really isn't nearly as useful without equipment. VirtualDJ is your best bet, it is free and has all the basic functions for mixing tracks.

Hi Benny. I started off producing like 10 years ago. When I started back in the days I only had a very simple computer and a pair of old school (very old school) speakers.

I would recommend you to buy a pair of studio monitors at least. You can find some cheap ones around... Yamaha make some that is not that expensive, and I still use them today.

No hardware is needed, but a midi keyboard is a good idea to Invest in that it makes Things more easy.

Only producing by headphones can make it harder for you to learn how to EQ, Compress ect your sounds right.

If you have any more questions please let me know, I will do my best to reply on this threat.

Hello guys I am also new and I would like any other advice , I have the budget to buy some equipment's but I don't know how to start , I have a good laptop can anyone suggest also to me what other can I buy, that is not very expensive ?

What is your budget? You can buy a pretty decent controller for a couple hundred euro.

I recommend Virtual DJ for any beginners and just watch some helpful tutorials on YouTube on getting started or book DJ lessons locally or if your really serious about this then do both, the more practice you get the better you will be.
A+ for Virtual DJ. It's an amazing app. Also you have a great suggestion for OP.

Last edited:
When i began i had two normal turntables connected to two different stereo´s. volume up on one stereo and ofc down on the other. it was weird. but you do learn some stuff by doing it with what ever you got. i learned about beatpitching from that ,despite none of the turntables had a pitch. you also learn that some of your records will go at same speed. and thats when mixing begins. so to me its not about what you CAN get.its how you use what you GOT ! today im able to mix with videos directly form youtube and much more. without pitching. simply because i learned the described way here above! with a tape recorder with a good pause button we also were able to edit a mix, and pause the recording,to find next track that would fit..and so forth. funny times those days. however it didnt last long and soon i was gearing up with proper equipment,as i saw i could do this. so even if your just sniffing around, you can learn something from what you already have.

if i am to suggest anything. i would say go for virtual dj aswell. it gives you a quick introduction to the basics and you will have a view of the program almost as simular to a real setup. just note that software programs may or may not be as precise as the real deal equipment. but thats for later level to figure that out :)

if you are from denmark and wants to be dj. here is the best teachers you´ll find in all of Denmark !
http://copenhagendjschool.dk/

Last edited:
Even I desperately wish to become a DJ. May your dreams come true

Start with something small, maybe get some cheap hardware and try out some software while you're at it. For beginners i'd recommend VDJ, but as you move on you'll immediately regret using VDJ and get into Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox, etc.

Experiment, practice and follow your dream ;)

Best DJ effect on your dance floor, setup your club with our Chicago DJ Equipments, you can shop at 123dj offering you wide range of DJ products.

123Blacklights offers you the best DJ Lights having accurate and powerful Stage Lighting System.

Back