DJ Mag Top 100 voting – a DJ's honest opinion

UMEK 1605

Registered
Reaction score
DJ Mag Top 100 voting – a DJ's honest opinion

There's not a single DJ fan on Facebook this moment who's not being spammed beyond reason with countless tries by DJs to be creative when asking for votes. And most of us do it in such way that it doesn't look like we're begging directly for a minute of your attention.
For years now the guys from my office have been banging their heads against the wall in an effort to come up with numerous creative ways to ask fans to vote for me. Everything but a simple »can you please vote for me?«

Does life really has to be always complicated?

And I'm noticing this is the case with most of my fellow DJs. In a way we all want to be rebels and pretend we don't give a shit about how we rank on this semi-official list of who's who in the industry. But if I'm being completely honest – I want to be on this list and I want to be on it as high as possible. There shouldn't be any shame in admitting that. The ranking doesn't influence my number of bookings, nor the price I can charge for my performance. It's just an ego trip and let's face it – we all like it. Some of DJs out there like it so much, they go too far with it by hiring Indian companies, pay hackers and do all kinds of twisted stuff (like getting the president of your country to make a public announcement hehehe) to get a few places higher. And then at the same time pretend to ignore the results once they come out. But in the end everyone of us awaits that moment at ADE, when the magazine announces the results.

So **** it – if you like what I do, show me support, if you like what Guetta does, vote for him, if you fancy how Paris Hilton turns that »cute little buttons on that mixer thingy«, vote for her. It doesn't matter what others say. DJ Mag made their way into creating a benchmark for dance music and although with all the subtle and not so subtle campaigns, sometimes the whole thing really looks like a beauty pageant, it means something to me and my fellow performers to see our names among the great 100.

Sincerely yours,
UMEK

Back