• DJing

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • Producing

Votes: 89 90.8%

• Total voters

dan

Staff member
Reaction score
hello all, just wanted some feedback on what you all think, who has a harder job, either being a DJ or having to Produce. Is there a choice? or are people just born with it?

all comments appreciated

since i started the thread, i would like to say that I believe or think its more harder to become a producer. I know little about producing, but just to come think of it MUST be extremely hard to put together all the elements to produce a good track.

Thats my opinion.

to produce of course ;P

and the hardest thing on that, to make something nice apart from your own judgement on the stuff you produce...

but must be a beautiful feeling getting a nice feedback on your work :smile1:

Last edited:
i would definitely say producing. Takes years of practice and learning before you start to make good stuff

Well, i think every good DJ's career started with some great productions :) You could be a very talented DJ with great mixing ability but if you don't have your own productions then you barely have any chance to be famous or well known DJ. A DJ needs something to stand out from the others and this could be a device to do it :smile1:

Last edited:
Both is hard to master.
Until you have very good mixing skills you'll need a lot of practise, train your ear, choose the good tunes at a good time and all the other things.
To produce you'll need a lot of practise aswell, finding the right samples and making your own instruments, mastering etc.

Maybe producing is harder but if you want to be an outstanding DJ it isn't an easy task aswell.

DJing may look easier, look at the Software Tools with Beatmatching and the likes so even a total noob can do some transitions. But you can compare this to the Magix Music Maker, which is not a tool any serious producer would use. Like any serious DJ wouldn't use just some software and his mouse ;)

It's nice to have a quick look at things, but in any case you'll have to walk a long road to be good.

i believe that both are hard, but they are even in the same way, producing outdoing djing in difficulty by a bit though!

let me explain

To start out djing or get into mixing (some say thats different in itself), you either start with software, buy cheap gear or save and get good gear, that can be hard in itself for some! but the real test is sticking with it through the learning curve, depending on your skill and learning ability, in short it takes patience, time and lots of practice to learn djing! By this i mean everything from training your ear, levels, EQ etc to the structure of tracks themselves and what goes with what and when etc etc etc

Producing on the other hand (which by the way im not into just yet), i see a different side, for those that are into djing already (some may have an advantage of track structure etc), but because of the sheer length you have to go to to get outboard gear (if you want it) and all the bits and bods that go with it, its quite an investment (which if you go that far you wanna make it work). You have to learn the software/hardware, know what does what and how this affects that, and thats only to make the sounds for the end product. Lets say 1 hour to make a dj mix (without research taken into account), then put that against 6 months maybe for some to make a track that lasts 7-8min, and when your into djing, one track can be over in the snap of your fingers!

Having raved about all that, they are both hard in their own ways, but i belive producing, with its more in depth technical skill, to be the hardest!

ps - could you tell i liked talking about this!

DAN :p

:grinning:

Most of you guys are missing the point...
The question clearly says: Who's JOB is harder...
and not: who takes more years of practice...

So taking into consideration a proffesional producer and a Professional DJ, I guess both Jobs are as hard, if not the DJs job is harder.

Reason:
- A DJ must travel all around the world all year around to perform in different countries in order to keep his good reputation.
disadvantages: less hours of sleep, less time to spend with family, more fatigue.
+ A DJ is expected to stay updated with the latest tunes.
result: Listen to every track possible, try to harmonically match it with other tracks.

- A producer need more talent then a DJ before starting producing.
- A producer is expected to follow the scene, and to evolve his sound.
- A producer is expected to come up with several productions + remixes from time to time to keep his good reputation.

Producer advantages = more time to spend at home, less fatigue, more independence.

So it seems both jobs are hard, but I personally think a DJs job is even harder.
Indeed it takes more talent to become a good producer, but after being one, its no longer a hard job, because the hardest part in a producer's career is only the start of it. But a DJ would travel around the world to perform in different countries until the end of his Career.

P.S: Dan I think the poll and the thread's question are two completely different ones.
Of course its harder to produce a track, than mix a compilation. (Poll's question)
But a DJ's job in general, is harder than a producer's, due to many facts that doesn't necesserly involve producing or mixing... (thread's question)

Last edited:
so your saying us producers dont dj?

^Well the question is clear...
it says who's job is harder, a producer or a DJ...

If you DJ and produce at the same time...then your job is the hardest

but thats out of subject...

and to answer your question...YES! some producers don't DJ

on that point ... its well taken cuz your right :)

there are some wicked dj's out there that can walk circles around producers .... its all in the experience

id say production. but it depends how much skill you have on each.

Essentially I think they are both very similar jobs in principle, and the question of which is harder depends more on your own skills.

Basically, when making a tune, a producer will choose from a vast array of different audio "samples", and arrange them in a way that creates something which is hopefully amazing as a whole.

And likewise, when mixing a set, a DJ will choose from a vast array of different audio "tunes", and arrange them in a way that creates something which is hopefully amazing as a whole.

The main difference I think comes in planning and spontenaity. In a studio you obviously have as much time as you want to get things right, can go over bits again, experiment with various possibilities, and not stick your head above water until you're happy with what you've done. DJ's don't have the same luxury as they essentially are creating in "real time".

Having done both, I don't think either is more difficult necessarily. Some people who would find production to be easy might never be able to beatmatch in their lives. Likewise there are probably some DJs (no names) who despite playing tunes for a living can't grasp the basic fundamentals of how tunes are made.

So in conclusion, I'd say they're both difficult, but they both get easier the more you practice :music:

interesting comments all the way around. (Trancelvania's point well taken too.)
from my perspective as a "simple" listener, i am most amazed & impressed with those who compose/write the individual tracks (songs); now, is that "producing"--or just composing?
the talent shown by these song-writers just floors me--its awesome!--& why i've come to adore the Goodness of Trance. (& my two young kids like Pop's "dance music" too!)

Last edited:
Hello!
I have been a DJ for 4 years. I've recently taken up compose music.
I would like to express emotions but is not easy always. So, I think, that producer's job is harder.
He creates something new. DJ - not necessarily.

Have a nice day.

as i have checked back, sorry guys i did kind of drift off topic a little, so take as much or little notice as you like! to quote lazarus though i was simply creating my opinion in "realtime" :)

I would like to express emotions but is not easy always.

haha story of a mans life in the eyes of a female! :grinning: jokerdj

yep

WELL SAID :)

Essentially I think they are both very similar jobs in principle, and the question of which is harder depends more on your own skills.

Basically, when making a tune, a producer will choose from a vast array of different audio "samples", and arrange them in a way that creates something which is hopefully amazing as a whole.

And likewise, when mixing a set, a DJ will choose from a vast array of different audio "tunes", and arrange them in a way that creates something which is hopefully amazing as a whole.

The main difference I think comes in planning and spontenaity. In a studio you obviously have as much time as you want to get things right, can go over bits again, experiment with various possibilities, and not stick your head above water until you're happy with what you've done. DJ's don't have the same luxury as they essentially are creating in "real time".

Having done both, I don't think either is more difficult necessarily. Some people who would find production to be easy might never be able to beatmatch in their lives. Likewise there are probably some DJs (no names) who despite playing tunes for a living can't grasp the basic fundamentals of how tunes are made.

So in conclusion, I'd say they're both difficult, but they both get easier the more you practice :music:

It requires talent but it also takes a lot of practice and patience to be good as a dj or as a producer.
Anyway, I pretty much agree with what Lazarus wrote.

Back