Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

djabstraction

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there,

My headphones are on a suicide mission, they appear to be randomly cutting out, as well as the black foam covering flaking off and getting stuck to everything :lol:

I currently use Sony MDR-V500 but although they are really comfortable and quick to position, the audio quality is pretty shoddy.

Just recently I've listened to a couple of my mixes on my mobile phone, using the headphones that come with it. The sound out of it is really really bad, BUT, the sound is just the right frequency to hear even very slight beat mis-matching, mis-matching which you just can't hear without applying EQ manually. Unless you have the ears of a bat I guess...

So basically, what I'm after is some headphones that will produce a similar sound. That way I should be able to improve my beatmatching a hell of allot. What do you guys use and what would you recommend using? Swivel cups is a must for me.

:music:

i use the predecessor of those: http://www.friendlyhouse.at/dj-equi...kcGFnZT1nZXJhdGUvZGV0YWlsLnBocCZpZD0yMTkzNTY=
they are quite similar to http://www.friendlyhouse.at/dj-equi...kcGFnZT1nZXJhdGUvZGV0YWlsLnBocCZpZD0xNTgxNDEw (which ive also used) or http://www.friendlyhouse.at/dj-equi...kcGFnZT1nZXJhdGUvZGV0YWlsLnBocCZpZD0yMDA1NjY= both in feeling/handling and in sound, but somewhat cheaper.

my tip for the beatmatching issue: turn up the cue volume :)

Hey I like the look of those Pioneer ones, I wonder if I can get them shipped from Europe for around that price, if I tried getting them over here I would be seriously ripped off. Dunno why the Brits get ripped off for everything.

:lol: RE: Turning the cue volume up, that won't really have the same effect to be honest, maybe my hearing isn't as good as it could be, but if I have it too loud I just find it even harder. I currently try to have it at a similar volume to what's being played through the speakers, so when I put the headphones on the volume stays about the same.

well it does really help for me. my ears kinda regulate themselves, when the cue volume is pretty loud (not overly - the volume knob isnt even up to the half), after a while they will attenuate the lows and also a bit the highs, while the mid frequencies remain loud. and it's mainly the mids and highs that you need to pay attention to. (for most of the tracks - there are exceptions)

but anyway, this is a personal experience, and everyone needs to develop their own mixing techniques :)

well it does really help for me. my ears kinda regulate themselves, when the cue volume is pretty loud (not overly - the volume knob isnt even up to the half), after a while they will attenuate the lows and also a bit the highs, while the mid frequencies remain loud. and it's mainly the mids and highs that you need to pay attention to. (for most of the tracks - there are exceptions)

but anyway, this is a personal experience, and everyone needs to develop their own mixing techniques :)

That's quite interesting, maybe I haven't stuck at it like that for long enough, for me if it is a bit too loud I end up competing with the volume of the speakers so need to turn them up more, then the cue, then the speakers, then the cue, then I can't hear for toffee. I guess it's just inexperience, so I'll just blame my headphones instead :lol::lol:

Cheers for the advice it's really appreciated! :)

For mixing, I use Sennheiser HD 212Pro's.
For listening - I used to have an ultra expensive set of Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Pro's.

They cost me like $300US, and were an "in ear" headphone. They were touted as one of the worlds best ear monitors, apparently used by Madonna, U2, Sting etc.

I went through 2 pairs in 6 months. Biggest waste of money IMHO. Sure they sounded fantastic, really clear and crisp. But they were made of paper and broke SOOOO easily.

That's my Australian 2 cents.
/Which is almost the same as 2 cents US
//g0t exchange rate? :p

For mixing, I use Sennheiser HD 212Pro's.
For listening - I used to have an ultra expensive set of Ultimate Ears Super Fi 5 Pro's.

They cost me like $300US, and were an "in ear" headphone. They were touted as one of the worlds best ear monitors, apparently used by Madonna, U2, Sting etc.

I went through 2 pairs in 6 months. Biggest waste of money IMHO. Sure they sounded fantastic, really clear and crisp. But they were made of paper and broke SOOOO easily.

That's my Australian 2 cents.
/Which is almost the same as 2 cents US
//g0t exchange rate? :p

Wooo! $300 "in ear" headphones, I couldn't imagine what they must sound like, the most expensive ones I've had for "in ear" were about £50 Sony headphones which also, were made of really weak materials and the actual wires split within 3 months of having them, ended up replacing them for the Panasonic equivilent which were bullet proof and withstood many a pint of Fosters (I don't drink that shit... honestly.... :whistle:).

A few people have mentioned Sennheiser headphones, I like the sound of them but really need the swivel cup as I find them so easy to use, so I'll drop by their website and see what's going down. From what I understand they produce really true sound right?

Cheers Noel, I appreciate the advice! Gonna be making up my mind pretty soon I think :music:

Ive been using Pioneer HDJ-1000 for a few years. Havent had any problems with them, a few years old and still work like new.

The headphone of choice around these parts (Tampa, Florida) are the Technics DH1200s. What a lot of Djs love about them is the detachable cord feature, something that the DN-HP1000 do not have (Denon.) They are loud and the earcups hold your ear nicely and they are built like a tank. The only thing that I do not like about them is that they may be too bulky for like, everyday use, as in, as in listening to music but not Dj'ing.

Sennheisers are great too BUT, eh, I have not heard over even handled a pair of their "Dj" headphones.

Then, there are the Sony MDRV700DJs. People say that they are louder than the Technics but I do not buy it. They are less bulky than the Ts in my opinion but, I would go with the Technics if I were to choose.

As far as smaller types, like earbuds and all, I have NO idea. One thing I would do is go to Amazon.com and search for all their headphones and read the reviews. They give you a great idea of what is hot and what is not.

I hope this all helped;)

Abominus

Last edited:
I just got my Sennheisers HD25-170 a week ago and im looooooooving them!!!
Amazing sound!!!

The headphone of choice around these parts (Tampa, Florida) are the Technics DH1200s. What a lot of Djs love about them is the detachable cord feature, something that the DN-HP1000 do not have (Denon.) They are loud and the earcups hold your ear nicely and they are built like a tank. The only thing that I do not like about them is that they may be too bulky for like, everyday use, as in, as in listening to music but not Dj'ing.

Sennheisers are great too BUT, eh, I have not heard over even handled a pair of their "Dj" headphones.

Then, there are the Sony MDRV700DJs. People say that they are louder than the Technics but I do not buy it. They are less bulky than the Ts in my opinion but, I would go with the Technics if I were to choose.

As far as smaller types, like earbuds and all, I have NO idea. One thing I would do is go to Amazon.com and search for all their headphones and read the reviews. They give you a great idea of what is hot and what is not.

I hope this all helped;)

Abominus

I love the sound of a detachable cord and they look pretty nice too. I'm not going to use them for anything other than mixing anyway so I'm not fussed about deadphones being chunky, at least they aren't flimsy and easy to break.

Would the Sony MDR-V700s really be that different from the V500s which I already have? I'm guessing they would be made from the same materials etc, just slightly better speaker components, in which case, I wouldn't go for those to be honest. Although my V500s have lasted a number of years, I would like to try something better, non-Sony, so it looks like it's either Technics or Pioneer.

One of my favourite companies is M-Audio but they don't do swivel cup headphones :-(

Cheers for the advice again! Can't believe I didn't think of looking at Technics...

I just got my Sennheisers HD25-170 a week ago and im looooooooving them!!!
Amazing sound!!!

Cool! Would that be these ones...

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/502188

? So they are like almost £50 more expensive than the Technics, so they must be pretty good on the audio quality front? They don't look as strong though, or is the picture deceptive?

Just read a few reviews though and they rate pretty highly.

Hmmm.... *scratches chin*

*puts bit of paper with Pioneer, Technics & Sennheiser, into a hat and picks at random*

haha :lol:

I love the sound of a detachable cord and they look pretty nice too. I'm not going to use them for anything other than mixing anyway so I'm not fussed about deadphones being chunky, at least they aren't flimsy and easy to break.

Would the Sony MDR-V700s really be that different from the V500s which I already have? I'm guessing they would be made from the same materials etc, just slightly better speaker components, in which case, I wouldn't go for those to be honest. Although my V500s have lasted a number of years, I would like to try something better, non-Sony, so it looks like it's either Technics or Pioneer.

One of my favourite companies is M-Audio but they don't do swivel cup headphones :-(

Cheers for the advice again! Can't believe I didn't think of looking at Technics...

The 700s have 3,000mW of power and the 500s have 1,000mW. It's really up to you. I have enclosed the Sony DJ heaphones order section:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=3729

The higher the mW, the louder they go and harder you can push them. The Technics rate at 5,000mW. Those things are way loud. Seriously.

You will have to just somehow try them all out at a store or something. :music:

Let us know how things go and which pair of cans you decide on getting.:smile1:

Abominus

i have Technics RP-DJ 1210.... veeerrry loud, superb basses and very good sound quality and materials. The technics are extreme "everythingproof" :) maybe i point out some features... IMO:
+ sound quality
+ sound pressure (very loud)
+ extrmely resistant
+ good features
+ cable + jack
- if using for long listening to music etc. they may be uncomfortable...

thats my subjective opinion...

Cool! Would that be these ones...

http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/icm.nsf/root/502188

? So they are like almost £50 more expensive than the Technics, so they must be pretty good on the audio quality front? They don't look as strong though, or is the picture deceptive?

Just read a few reviews though and they rate pretty highly.

Hmmm.... *scratches chin*

*puts bit of paper with Pioneer, Technics & Sennheiser, into a hat and picks at random*

haha :lol:

These would be the ones...Well as long as you dont smash them on the floor and jump on them I think they are strong enough...I mean like any other headphones you gonna get ,you just need to take care of them...and well after you get them,you get attached to them and therefor you look after them:)

Sound quality is amazing - I mean you just dont wanna let go after you put them on....:music:

WORTH IT

Hi,

I am cofused between Alessandro MS-1 ,Sony Mdr V-6,Sennheisers HD-215.Which one among these will sound best with House/Trance music.

If there is any other suggetion it will be appreciated.

Hi,

I am cofused between Alessandro MS-1 ,Sony Mdr V-6,Sennheisers HD-215.Which one among these will sound best with House/Trance music.

If there is any other suggetion it will be appreciated.

I never heard the Alessandro's but they seem to me like they are more for audiophile home stereo use. I do not see anything about a Mw handling so, I would stay away from those.

The Senn's look nice but they do not have any info on the Mw handling.

The Sonys......okay, well, those are good too. I have a friend that uses those. He has no complaints about them.

I say, look online for more info on the Sonys and the Senns. The higher the power handling (3000Mw or more) the better, specially for Dance music.

Good luck and let us know what you buy!

hd650
one of if not the best cans availabe

"The higher the power handling (3000Mw or more) the better, specially for Dance music"

I am not able to find power handling capability of Alessandro MS 1 & sennheiser HD 215,also can these headsets be driven by ipod ,especially alessandro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back