Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 33s or 45s Question...

  1. #1

    Question 33s or 45s Question...

    Hey all, just a quick question...

    mixing between 33's and 45's... whats the difference in the speeds?
    i'm trying to get the correct pitch from a 33 > 45 and 45 > 33

    any suggestions? many thanks in an advance for your help

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    what exactly are you trying to do?
    http://dfx.at/sets/ :: http://myspace.com/dfx_dj

  3. #3
    AH.FM Addict 90degrees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,622

    if I got your Q right...

    difference in speeds is uhm, 33 revs per minute to 45 revs per minute - or 0.55 revs per sec for the first and 0.75 for the latter.
    finding a "correct" pitch will be difficult as a lot of pitch sliders work in different increments - or are differently calibrated for that matter.
    At least I think, it's been a while with vinyl.
    the easiest way would be to have the same tracks pref one as a 6" for 45 and a 12" for 33. unlikely so take two tracks where you know they have same bpm and beat match.
    look at your pitch slider and you should have "your" correct pitch.
    Edit:
    sorry the 45 running @ 33 rpm with adjusted pitch that is
    Last edited by 90degrees; Jan 19th, 2008 at 20:13. Reason: typos

  4. #4
    www.defconrecordings.com Lazarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Doncaster, England
    Posts
    13,094
    The thing is though, all the records made on vinyl are made in different bpm's, so there's no general speed rule for the pitch control between any two records at all
    New show time: Back From The Dead - Every 1st Monday 1900-2100 GMT (2000-2200 CET, 1400-1600 PST)
    Lazarus Twitter | Lazarus Facebook | Defcon Recordings website | Defcon Twitter
    Lazarus on iTunes

  5. #5

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by 90degrees View Post
    difference in speeds is uhm, 33 revs per minute to 45 revs per minute - or 0.55 revs per sec for the first and 0.75 for the latter.
    finding a "correct" pitch will be difficult as a lot of pitch sliders work in different increments - or are differently calibrated for that matter.
    At least I think, it's been a while with vinyl.
    the easiest way would be to have the same tracks pref one as a 6" for 45 and a 12" for 33. unlikely so take two tracks where you know they have same bpm and beat match.
    look at your pitch slider and you should have "your" correct pitch.
    Edit:
    sorry the 45 running @ 33 rpm with adjusted pitch that is
    I have just been trying to figure out a way to make the job easier
    when trying to beat match between 33 to 45 and back again...

    I'm using 2x Technics 1200mk2s decks, the pitch control seems
    accurate enough (to me atleast), just takes a lot of fine tuning and
    takes up too much time.

    I will try running the 45s @ 33rpm and see how I go, the only concern
    is the track may sound a little (or a lot) strange.

    I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers again peepz.
    Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by djFlux; Jan 20th, 2008 at 14:25.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by djfluxdeluxe View Post
    I have just been trying to figure out a way to make the job easier
    when trying to beat match between 33 to 45 and back again...

    I'm using 2x Technics 1200mk2s decks, the pitch control seems
    accurate enough (to me atleast), just takes a lot of fine tuning and
    takes up too much time.

    I will try running the 45s @ 33rpm and see how I go, the only concern
    is the track may sound a little (or a lot) strange.

    I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers again peepz.
    Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated.
    i dont mean to seem mean at all, but if it takes that much fine tuning and too much time, id say you need to work a little more on training your ears, and also implement, if you dont already, using your hands to speed up or slow down the record to find the beat again, some do it that way some do it all by pitch fader and chase the beat so to speak!

    so (and once again i dont mean any offence) if you cant beatmatch a record before you run out of time, whether it be 33 to 45 or the reverse, because the same rules apply, so just use your ears and get familiar with the changes in pitch! yes the speeds may be different but its something you just get used to the more time goes on, i can relate to what your saying when i was starting out, but i find the cueing process fun so as much as i would like it to be faster i dont really mind!

    good luck

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by djfluxdeluxe View Post
    I have just been trying to figure out a way to make the job easier
    when trying to beat match between 33 to 45 and back again...

    I'm using 2x Technics 1200mk2s decks, the pitch control seems
    accurate enough (to me atleast), just takes a lot of fine tuning and
    takes up too much time.

    I will try running the 45s @ 33rpm and see how I go, the only concern
    is the track may sound a little (or a lot) strange.

    I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers again peepz.
    Any other suggestions or advice is appreciated.
    i still don't really get the question... you can have 130 bpm on a 33 vinyl and also 130 bpm on a 45 vinyl. when you set the turntable to 33 and play the former, you'll get 130 bpm, and when you set the turntable to 45 and play the latter, you'll also get 130 bpm. the pitch slider will also work the same in both cases, so i don't see the difference?

    or are you trying to play a 33 record at 45 speed or vice versa?
    http://dfx.at/sets/ :: http://myspace.com/dfx_dj

  8. #8
    AH.FM Addict 90degrees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,622
    technically it's quite an interesting Q but I can't see any practical use.
    Converting 45s gabber tracks into 33s chill out tunes, 33s progressive stuff into HHC 45s?

    However, welcome back to these lil fellas...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dfx View Post
    i still don't really get the question... you can have 130 bpm on a 33 vinyl and also 130 bpm on a 45 vinyl. when you set the turntable to 33 and play the former, you'll get 130 bpm, and when you set the turntable to 45 and play the latter, you'll also get 130 bpm. the pitch slider will also work the same in both cases, so i don't see the difference?

    or are you trying to play a 33 record at 45 speed or vice versa?
    im with you there, i kinda also think maybe he means he is having an issue with the speed difference in general! Cueing perhaps also, letting go of the record which is a little different i guess, especially when its 45 rpm and pitch is high!

    qn needs to be slightly streamlined i think!

  10. #10
    Got everything sorted now. Problem fixed. The mixer wasnt showing the correct BPM's. Had to buy a new mixer. Sorry for the confuzzlement!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by djfluxdeluxe View Post
    Got everything sorted now. Problem fixed. The mixer wasnt showing the correct BPM's. Had to buy a new mixer. Sorry for the confuzzlement!
    i think i'm even more confused now, but what the hell
    http://dfx.at/sets/ :: http://myspace.com/dfx_dj

  12. #12
    lol, dont ask me... the techy's said is was f*kd (technical term apparently) bought a new one and everything is fine now... *shrugs*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. question for ah.fm
    By om3net in forum Music Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jun 5th, 2009, 20:32
  2. Question
    By r3s1s74nc3 in forum Music Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sep 17th, 2008, 19:27
  3. Question
    By trancegirl in forum Track ID'ing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2008, 08:01
  4. Question
    By djtavish in forum Help & Support | Feedback
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Feb 19th, 2008, 21:51
  5. Question
    By Abominus in forum Mellow Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 13th, 2007, 20:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •